• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Setlist group
Is it possible to add set list groups? Shy

Reason, i often play in multiple bands within a short period and need to prepare in advance.

It would be great to keep an overview to have a folder (date or name) and in it the different sets for that evening.
What is the end goal? Do you just want this for organization purposes so that you can group setlists, and then select an individual setlist from that list? Or do you want to be able to load all of the setlists as one giant setlist? I don't believe I will ever support the concept of setlists containing other setlists, but I could support a new tab that grouped setlists for organization purposes. This would require a fair amount of work though because it would be unlike any of the other tabs (as it would be a group grouping other groups) so I'd have a lot of new code to write.

Mike
I also thought this would break the current organisation of the tabs.

Also I think it would be easy to achieve the wanted organisation with a more specific naming of the setlist (name of the group, date, venue) so they sort itself. Also I think it's better not to have lists for each set but one for the whole gig. But that's of course imho.
(09-16-2016, 11:14 AM)Zuberman Wrote: What is the end goal? Do you just want this for organization purposes so that you can group setlists, and then select an individual setlist from that list? Or do you want to be able to load all of the setlists as one giant setlist?  I don't believe I will ever support the concept of setlists containing other setlists, but I could support a new tab that grouped setlists for organization purposes. This would require a fair amount of work though because it would be unlike any of the other tabs (as it would be a group grouping other groups) so I'd have a lot of new code to write.

Mike

Yes, it's indeed for organization purposes, i would like to see multiple lists in one setlist for a particular performance. I do not want one set list for the entire performance, then the amount of items would be to big and if something needs to change live it takes to much time  to edit.

Jan
Weil, personally i still don't see the need and why you don't just organize it like I suggested. But I also suggest things others don't see a need or appeal. So if Mike is seeing it and willing, why not.

Gives the opportunity for me to expand on another thing I suggested before and combine it.

Mike, remember I suggested a grouping of songs for different versions of a tune in the song tab?

If you break up the organisational structure anyway for setlists you could do it for songs in the song tab as well.

I'm thinking of another item for song and setlist tabs not unlike folders in file explorers where you can put songs and setlists in. Expandable like in tree views so you can show the needed items and collapse them again.

Those folders could have their own properties, for songs like creators, genre and other info that could apply to all the subitems if there's no overriding info. They would be an other solution for the recently discussed medley problem, too.

There are still lots of things to consider like are the nested items removed from the list or hidden or just links to items still in the list and much more design and programming wise.

But if you consider setlist groups I have to bring song groups up again, too.
If I was to support this feature, it wouldn't change the existing design of songs and setlists. It would just add the concept of a grouping of setlists, so you would first have to select the setlist group, then you could tap one of those setlists and it would show the list of songs inside it. I optionally could support combining all of the setlists into a temporary setlist for playback (this is the way "Load All" works for other group types like Artist/Album/etc). It would basically just be adding one more layer of heirarchy. This is very different than the concept of setlists containing other setlists, as that changes a setlist from just being a simple list of songs to something more complex with an undefined heirarchy depth (as setlists can contain other setlists which could contain setlists, etc). Having said that, this change still isn't an easy one because none of my existing code is set up for a group of groups. I would need a lot of new code for the library screen and a different editing screen (where setlists are shown on the right instead of songs). Based upon how much time I currently have for development, this change could easily take 3-4 weeks. So I'll have to put it as an enhancement for the future.

The idea of song groups that you've presented is very interesting BRX, but it would be a drastic design change. The level of effort for that would be many times greater. If I represented one of these song groups as being a song itself, but then changed every function so that it could look up files/pages from its child songs, then it would fit inside the current design for setlists and such. It also wouldn't be as problematic as setlists containing setlists as I would not allow song groups to contain other song groups - so I'm guaranteed only one more level of depth heirarchy wise. There would still have to be a huge number of UI changes though, and a lot of changes necessary to handle correct loading/processing of a song group.

Mike