• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Display key at top of song
I was wondering if anyone else likes to display the key of a song in the body of the song? Sometimes it comes in handy, I think. The only way I have found to do this is to enter the key manually. Are there other options to do this?
I guess it depends a lot on how you are getting your music into MobileSheets.

You have probably noticed there is/are metadata fields for music key that can be chosen for each song, but that information doesn't show up when you are working through a setlist or already have the song displayed. It does allow you to search and select songs by key, though.
I think the key of the song would need to be included in the file of the music for it to show up when you have the music on-screen.

Now that you mention it, though, I wish I had included the key in the titles of my .pdf files when I imported them into MobileSheets, so I would know which harmonica I should pull out...if I wanted to pull one out. Well, there's only a few hundred, so it won't be too hard to go back and add that.
I could be wrong, it happened once before.
If you entered the key in the key field during the edit phase you can go to the global settings>library settings>song title formatting>caption format> select keys and it will display the key as a sub-title under the song name. Then go to the global settings>library settings>tab order and put keys in the left column. This puts the keys tab at the top of the library with the songs/ recent/etc.

To include it in the body, if I understand you, you probably need to do that before making the pdf/jpg. Other than that, the only way I know of is to include it as part of the title when making the edit and [global settings>display settings>] always show title bar.
Dell Latitude 13.5" 2-in-1 Ubuntu/Win 11
Samsung Note Pro SM-P900 12.2 Android 5.0.2
Samsung S7+, Android 12
Thanks for the suggestions. Since I use chordpro files almost exclusively, I can display the key by putting it in brackets. That will require editing every file and I was just hoping there was an easier way to accomplish what I want.
Will global settings>text file settings>detect key by help?
Dell Latitude 13.5" 2-in-1 Ubuntu/Win 11
Samsung Note Pro SM-P900 12.2 Android 5.0.2
Samsung S7+, Android 12
(09-27-2016, 12:12 PM)LD Jackson Wrote: Thanks for the suggestions. Since I use chordpro files almost exclusively, I can display the key by putting it in brackets. That will require editing every file and I was just hoping there was an easier way to accomplish what I want.

The upcoming new version of ChordPro includes the possibility to use metadata in comments. For example.
Code:
{title: The House of the Self Rising Sun}
{key: C}
{comment: Warning! This song is in the key of %{key}.}

This would be a nice feature to add to MSPro as well.
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).
(09-27-2016, 09:44 AM)LD Jackson Wrote: The only way I have found to do this is to enter the key manually.

By implication, it would seem that you are looking for a means of auomatically detecting the key - this is not possible!

You already have suggestions about how you might display the key, but whatever method you use (personally, I include it in the title, e.g. "Fly Me To The Moon - Eb") you are going to have to do it manually.
Graeme

1: Samsung 12.2" SM-P900: Android 5.0.2 
2: eSTAR GRAND HD Quad-Core 4G 10.2": Android 5.1 
3: Home-built BT pedal

Some of my music here