• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MobileSheets On The New Android App Supported Chromebooks?
Some of you may be aware that certain Chrome OS devices (the "flip" models with a tablet function [Asus Flip Chromebook, Acer Chromebook R11]) now support the use of Android apps. Has anybody who owns these devices attempted to use the MobileSheets app on these Chromebooks? I'm a big fan of Chrome OS and have been thinking about upgrading to the Acer R11. However, my decision to do so would hinge on the compatibility of MobileSheets on these devices.

Thanks all!
I just got an email from a user who says MobileSheetsPro works well on Chrome OS. So it appears this is an option for anyone who is interested.
I read that you probably need a somewhat newer machine/OS combo for android apps to work.
Dell Latitude 13.5" 2-in-1 Ubuntu/Win 11
Samsung Note Pro SM-P900 12.2 Android 5.0.2
Samsung S7+, Android 12
For anyone interested, I just got a Samsung Chromebook Pro I have Mobile Sheets up, imported all my sheets from a backup on my other tablet, and it is working fine!  The Pro has a great display tyhat is super readable and very snappy performance.
(06-16-2017, 08:58 AM)Starboard-leeward Wrote: For anyone interested, I just got a Samsung Chromebook Pro I have Mobile Sheets up, imported all my sheets from a backup on my other tablet, and it is working fine!  The Pro has a great display tyhat is super readable and very snappy performance.

I'm using an Acer Chromebook R13, but I'm much less happy with it than you seem to be.  In particular, I have the following problems:

The 13" screen has a resolution of 1920x1080.  This replaces the 1600x900 screen on the 13" Toshiba tablet I'd been using (until it died recently), and in general it looks great -- except that the higher resolution makes the interface elements in MobileSheets too small to read comfortably, and in some cases too small to touch accurately.

Also I've found that the way that Android apps are implemented in ChromeOS breaks my workflow for importing new songs.  On my tablet I used an Android app to rysnc new PDF files from my Linux desktop computer; in ChromeOS that application is broken, and so are all the other ones I've tried.  (Yes, I know that incoming connections are broken because Android is NATted in ChromeOS, but the rsync application originates the connection on the Chromebook.)  The upshot is that the only way I've found to import new songs is to put the PDF on a USB stick.  That's annoying but not a show-stopper -- but then I have the same problem with backups, which I used to send to Linux with rsync.  Now I have to copy the full backup file onto the USB stick, then copy it again from USB to Linux.

May I ask whether you've encountered these issues on the Samsung, and if so, how you're handling them?
MSPro works great on my new Samsung Chromebook Plus.  Hi res 12.3" monitor with 3:2 aspect ratio is a huge improvement over the 9" 16:9 screen I used before.

The only problem I've had is an inability to connect MSPro to the Desktop Companion app on my PC.  Mike Z has been very responsive with this, but I suspect problem is a Chromebook/PC issue unrelated to MobileSheets.   This is not a big deal though - since the Chromebook has a full-size keyboard, the Companion app isn't nearly as important as it is on a tablet.  Was able to make a library backup from my old device, and then restore it to the Chromebook using DropBox.  Everything transferred without a hitch.  Importing songs works fine via DropBox also, so lack of Companion app hasn't yet been a problem.
What I've done as far as importing new pdf files and doing a backup is to save my files off my pc to Google Drive.  I then open up drive on my tablet and import them to MSPRO from there. Same with backup.  

Now I have a new challenge.  I bought the Acer R13 Flip chromebook during the recent Amazon sales.  I was confused at first because I couldn't load in Android apps, but after reading realized I needed to switch to Beta Stream.  Then I was able to load in MSPRO and restore my files from backup which was on Google Drive.  

I'm having trouble getting my PDF's to align properly in PRO in regards to orientation.  I'll keep trying various settings both in the Chrome Book itself, and with settings in MSPRO.  However if anyone has figured this out, it would save me a lot of time. With my ancient Samsung tablet, I usually used a portrait orientation which worked perfectly from the git go.  My problem with the Samsung tablet was that blue tooth connectivity was really buggy with everything, including my page switching pedal.  

(06-16-2017, 08:58 AM)Starboard-leeward Wrote: For anyone interested, I just got a Samsung Chromebook Pro I have Mobile Sheets up, imported all my sheets from a backup on my other tablet, and it is working fine!  The Pro has a great display tyhat is super readable and very snappy performance.

I'm using an Acer Chromebook R13, but I'm much less happy with it than you seem to be.  In particular, I have the following problems:

The 13" screen has a resolution of 1920x1080.  This replaces the 1600x900 screen on the 13" Toshiba tablet I'd been using (until it died recently), and in general it looks great -- except that the higher resolution makes the interface elements in MobileSheets too small to read comfortably, and in some cases too small to touch accurately.

Also I've found that the way that Android apps are implemented in ChromeOS breaks my workflow for importing new songs.  On my tablet I used an Android app to rysnc new PDF files from my Linux desktop computer; in ChromeOS that application is broken, and so are all the other ones I've tried.  (Yes, I know that incoming connections are broken because Android is NATted in ChromeOS, but the rsync application originates the connection on the Chromebook.)  The upshot is that the only way I've found to import new songs is to put the PDF on a USB stick.  That's annoying but not a show-stopper -- but then I have the same problem with backups, which I used to send to Linux with rsync.  Now I have to copy the full backup file onto the USB stick, then copy it again from USB to Linux.

May I ask whether you've encountered these issues on the Samsung, and if so, how you're handling them?
I just got an Acer R13 Chromebook since my old tablet is dying. The old tablet worked well for MobileSheetsPro but it is now freezing frequently, requiring a complete re-boot. So I moved to the Chrombook since it seems a logical step up.
I was able to install MobileSheetsPro withour problem via the Google Play store. It all appears to work okay except for the Wi-Fi connection to my desktop for backups. Still works fine on my old tablet (when its not frozen) but the Chromebook can't communicate to the desktop for this. The WiFi works fine for other items, ie web browsers, email, etc. But I can't get the connection established between the Chromebook and MS Companion.
I've checked the setting on my other tablet and everything seems to be in order, but the new one just won't establish the connection to the desktop.
My Bluetooth pedal works fine with the new Chromebook. And I can move files and backups between units with a USB stick.
Any ideas how to get these things talking?
Are you using a BT Homehub 5?

This has two frequencies (2.4 and 5  GHZ) and they don't really like talking to each other. e.g. your pc might be using 2.4 and your tablet, being new, might be using 5.0
Suggest you try a manual connect in the companion (the IP address is shown on the tablet). 
I think my latest method is to force the tablet to use 2.4 like my PC. However, if you have a homehub, you need to give each frequency a unique name (by default, BT gave them the same name so you have no idea which it is using to connect)

Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
(04-07-2018, 08:47 AM)Geoff Bacon Wrote: Are you using a BT Homehub 5?

This has two frequencies (2.4 and 5  GHZ) and they don't really like talking to each other. e.g. your pc might be using 2.4 and your tablet, being new, might be using 5.0
Suggest you try a manual connect in the companion (the IP address is shown on the tablet). 
I think my latest method is to force the tablet to use 2.4 like my PC. However, if you have a homehub, you need to give each frequency a unique name (by default, BT gave them the same name so you have no idea which it is using to connect)

Geoff

Unfortunately, I don't know what a BT Homehub is. I use a Belkin router for WiFi. The Wifi connection is the problem. I've tried with the tablet bluetooth turned on and turned off. no change. My desktop does not have Bluetooth.
I tried the manual wifi connect, still no connection.
Thanks for your suggestions
Bob
Can you logon to the router ? (you might have to google how)
If so, look to see what settings it has for your tablet (assuming the tablet is going via the router and not by something like 3G phone signal).
Note: If the router can't see the tablet then that is the cause of the problem.

Assuming it can see the tablet, compare the router's settings for the tablet with those it has for the pc ( they should be similar apart from the device name and their allocated IP addresses). If the network masks are different (unlikely) then you will have to work out why.  You might also have a firewall on the router that is blocking access (and there may also be one on the pc if you have set a high security level)

BTW, Bluetooth has nothing to do with this so you don't need to try switching it on/off.

That is probably about the limit of help I can give!

Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6