• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Distribute Scores, Setlists and Notes
Hello,

I am a conductor of a choir with about 35 people. I think aobut giving my singers the possibility to read their score on a tablet instead of using printed scores for everyone.

How can I do this with MobileSheets, so that all of them will get any changes I made to the setlists and - more important- can get all the scores and notes, that belong to setlists.

Can this be done with MobileSheets?
Any experiences with choirs, orchestras etc.?

Thank you for your Help!

Uli
(01-17-2017, 02:48 AM)ULinn Wrote: Hello,

I am a conductor of a choir with about 35 people. I think aobut giving my singers the possibility to read their score on a tablet instead of using printed scores for everyone.

How can I do this with MobileSheets, so that all of them will get any changes I made to the setlists and - more important- can get all the scores and notes, that belong to setlists.

Can this be done with MobileSheets?
Any experiences with choirs, orchestras etc.?

Thank you for your Help!

Uli
 Yes, what you are asking is possible!

Create a back-up of the current MobileSheets database on your computer (can also be done directly on your device), and distribute copies (via email or memory device) to the various choir members who want to use it.
Users could then 'restore' the database on their devices and have exactly the same material on all of them.
I could be wrong, it happened once before.
As Steve has mentioned, using a library backup (which can be generated under Settings->Backup and Restore->Backup Library) is the correct way to copy your entire library over to all of the other devices. Keeping them in sync after that is a little more difficult at the moment. You either need to keep using library backups to keep them in sync, or use the sharing feature to send out setlists and songs to the other users. I'm going to be adding synchronization features very soon to make this easier.

Mike
Hello Steve and Mike,
thank your for your hints with the backup. This would mean, that the useres DB is deleted, every time I create a new setlist and distribute it as described? If he has his own scores or is a member of different groups, all other data would be delted, right?
In this case, I'll wait for the announced sync-function, hoping it has a possibility to keep scores or setlists in sync without flashing the complete database.
A great - but probably not so easy - feature would be two layers of notes. At the one hand, notes by me in the "master-score", that are synced with all members and at the other hand, personal notes by each member, that are kept, even if there are new notes synced from the master-score.
All the best
Uli
Yes, the users previous database would be deleted/overwritten.

If such a user had a DB used for other purposes, they could back it up separately, and restore it after they were done using the DB provided by you.

This could become tedious depending on the frequency of switching!

However, the process goes fairly quickly and automatically once started (of course depending on the size of the DB).

I suspect the 'synchronization' feature will probably overwrite the DB just the same as a 'restore' from the computer companion app.

As well, I recall it has been previously suggested/requested to allow multiple databases to get around this exact issue.
The synchronization feature is going to have to be much more complex then that. I'm going to have to basically perform a merge between the database/library found at the synchronization location and the local library. I'll make it optional whether or not songs will be deleted if they only appear in the local library (this will be disabled by default). I could also make it optional whether new songs are created. If that was disabled, then only existing songs would be updated with any differences that are found. Performing this kind of merge is the only way it will be possible to synchronize to an external library while still having the ability to have your own songs if necessary. Figuring out the delta between libraries is where all of the work is going to be - I imagine this is going to wind up being fairly complex.

Mike
Hi,
We do excatly that in my band, although we are only 5, but doesnt make a difference if its 30 people.
We use a shared folder in google drive to store the "master".db file. works great, never had any issues with it.

And yes if someone use MS pro for personal use also, they need to back up their own DB and restore it afterwards. But it's just a rutine thing, no big deal.

/Nick
I would suggest to K. I. S. S.

Overwrite DB? Y/N

Backup existing DB before overwriting? Y/N

The 'Restore Database' from the companion takes long enough as it is.

If it was required to check for differences in each song out of, say 500, I fear the battery would die first.

In any case, I think the possibility of multiple databases would be a more elegant approach, if possible.
Supporting multiple databases at the same time would completely break my architecture. That would require that every time I do a query for something, I have to do it iteratively over every database and join together the results. It would also mean that when I go to write something, I have to figure out which database to use (which would be a nightmare).

If you just mean being able to switch between databases, that is definitely something I'll consider in the future. It will have its own set of difficulties to overcome though...

Mike
(01-27-2017, 12:08 PM)Zuberman Wrote: If you just mean being able to switch between databases, that is definitely something I'll consider in the future.

YES!!!!
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).
@ULinn: wouldn't sharing a setlist satisfy your needs? Read the chapter "SHARING AND EXPORTING SONGS" page 41ff in the manual.
My understanding is, that with creating an .MSF file you can export a setlist with all its song files.
first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de

(01-27-2017, 12:08 PM)Zuberman Wrote: If you just mean being able to switch between databases, that is definitely something I'll consider in the future. It will have its own set of difficulties to overcome though...

Mike

Yes, this is what I was suggesting.
Perhaps it would be easier if some choice would be made in the settings to make multiple DBs a selection on start-up (for those who want it), and to deselect usage of multiple DBs if the user doesn't need that capability.

In any case, I wouldn't think there are so many users for which a DB change would be so burdensome using the restore feature we already have...
For me it is important to be able to separate songs for a specific band or project, each with their own layout and display settings.
When working with a particular project I do not want any change I make to (accidentally) affect anything in other projects.
Making backups/restores is a possibility, though cumbersome and not reliable.
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).