• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Sync Mode"
I manage a big band, and what I really want to be able to do is manage my band's entire library on a library PC (this may include things like adding new charts, removing charts, or updating a chart that is on file), and then have a means for the tablet to connect to the PC and sync the internal database to what is contained on the PC.

To be clear, I want to be able to maintain the parts in a common location for the full 17 piece band, and allow any of the user tablets to connect to that location and sync their specific parts - I might name a tablet "SAX1" for instance, and when the Sax1 tablet connects, I'd like to have an option to sync it to the master.

This is needed because individual musicians will have their tablets at home to practice/annotate, etc, and I'd like them to be able to get any library updates when they come in and set up for rehearsal - make sense?

Lots more I'd like from a band management standpoint, like creating a common setlist, and slave mode for tablets to allow the leader to call parts open on all tablets, but this would be a good start.
Nice couple of suggestions from Dixiesax.

As an interim, if it's easier or quicker, would it be possible for the band leader to email a some sort of setlist file to each band member for upcoming gigs? Could this setlist file have the song pdfs embedded in it?
(06-15-2013, 07:57 PM)fausto Wrote: Nice couple of suggestions from Dixiesax.

As an interim, if it's easier or quicker, would it be possible for the band leader to email a some sort of setlist file to each band member for upcoming gigs? Could this setlist file have the song pdfs embedded in it?

I would also appreciate such a sync mode - I am a Choir leader with some members having a tablet (with mobilesheets :-) and it gets really complicated to keep them in sync.

Your proposal, fausto, would work for us if such an email with setlist would not create duplicates of existing songs, but would replace them if they are already in the database.
Don't know if "same song" should be identified via song name or something else, though (our songs normally have the song name and the instrument / voice name in their pdf).
These are all good suggestions. I definitely agree that adding these kinds of sync'ing features for collaboration are really important. I'll have to see when I can add them after v4.1.0 is released, as there is still a lot left to do.
perhaps you could tag a setlist to be a syncing one, then specify a dropbox folder (or whatever) for it to check and update from, where there is the setlist list and all the page files. Any changes are detected and updated within MS.

Existing user annotations could be a problem, if a page is updated, hopefully the layout has not changed Smile
How about using Dropbox, with a sub-folder for each instrument.