• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Song Tab, possible improvements or am I missing something?
Hi,
I now have a fairly big database of songs, like 4500. However, many of these are the same songs, but in a different key, instrumental staff charts, chord changes only,  different genres like pop and jazz of the same song, pdfs, jpgs, mp3s. Each song has only one file associated with it because of the different metadata. The end result is that there is often many entries of the same song in the song list, even 7 or 8. I realize that mp3s at least, can often share the same metadata as a chart.

If I understand correctly how MS works, this is the way it is supposed to be because if there are more than one file referenced in one song entry, they all share the same metadata. Is this correct?

If this is true, what I would like to see on the songs tab, is all songs with the same title grouped under the one common title, with maybe a little + sign ahead of the title to indicate there are more than one entry that can expand when you tick on it.

Here is another issue for me. I like the fact that on the songs tab, there is a little icon to indicate that an audio file is present. However, there is no  way of knowing if there is chart included. Is it just an audio file with no chart or an audio file with a chart present? If there is no audio, is it just a blank page or is there a chart present in the entry. I think there could be more of these little icons to indicate what type of files are present or not in the song database entry.

I know that MS is quite powerful and accept that maybe I could be using it differently to achieve my goals. Am I doing this completely wrong and/or have misunderstood the way MS operates?

BTW, I just love this program and the way Mike supports it. There is no way I could do without it now.

Dan
If you add more than one file to a song, then sure, all of those files are associated with that one song's metadata.

What you have requested is what I'm calling song versioning, and it's a feature planned for the near future. You will be able to specify multiple versions for a song where each version can use a different file, have different annotations, etc. When creating setlists, you can choose which version of a song to use. You can also set the current default song version on the songs tab. That's how I envision it working.

As for adding additional icons, if those will be of use to a lot of MobileSheetsPro users, then I'm happy to look into adding more. If people want an icon that displays the situation where a song has only a blank page in it, I can add a little icon for that. I don't want to go overboard with too many different icons though.

Thanks,
Mike
Ok, thanks once again, Mike.

Sounds exactly like what I am talking about.
I will wait for the new versions.
Just knowing that it's being looked at is great to know.

As for the icons, it's a feature that I personally would like to see.
Another one of my problems is identifying songs that have been annotated to make a new corrected version.
An icon to show if a song has been annotated would make these songs easy to find.

Cheers,
Dan
My reply to "Another one of my problems is identifying songs that have been annotated to make a new corrected version."
(a bit late, I know, sorry)

This has been asked before:
http://zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/forum/...ght=sqlite

In that thread Sciurius proposed an SQL query that finds songs with annotations:
sqlite3 mobilesheets.db 'SELECT DISTINCT Songs.Id,Title,Path FROM Songs,Files,AnnotationsBase WHERE Songs.Id = AnnotationsBase.SongId AND Songs.Id = Files.SongId;'
first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de

It occurs to me that it doesn't look to complicated for MSPro to allow a way to type an SQL, run it, and have the result returned as a temporary collection...
Just dreaming... Smile
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).
... maybe as an additional option in the filters
first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de

To itsme: yes, I have seen that before. I know what an SQL is, but that is the extent of my knowledge.
But it seems to me to a featurenlike that would not be difficult to implement in MS.
I am not a coder, so pardon me if this not the case.

However, I don't know if this a feature many people would like or not.
Mike receives all the requests and seems to try and satisfy the most people possible with his improvements.

I trust him on that and if no one else is interested in this feature, well I won't be expecting it to be an upcoming improvement.

It is not something I would use very often, but when needed, it would be a great time saver.

Cheers...
Dan

PS: sorry for my delay as well; I just keep tabs on occasion, not everyday....