• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Missing audio files
Now, here's an odd thing.

Using Companion, I backed up my primary tablet and then restored that backup to my two secondary tablets.  I then checked there were no missing files on the latter tablets.

To my surprise, both tablets reported the same missing files - all MP3 audio files.  These files are not missing on the primary tablet, neither are they missing from the backup I had just made.

The two tablets concerned are running different OS versions, one is 4.4.2 and the other is 5.1, so I think we can discount that as a reason for what happened.

It's no big deal, I can easily replace the missing files if they are needed (at the moment, they're not) but I do wonder what is going on and whether anyone else has seen this?
Graeme

1: Samsung 12.2" SM-P900: Android 5.0.2 
2: eSTAR GRAND HD Quad-Core 4G 10.2": Android 5.1 
3: Home-built BT pedal

Some of my music here
I need to get my hands on a backup file demonstrating this problem. I haven't seen it myself yet with the backup files I've tested. That or I can try creating my own backup file, but it would helpful to know where the audio files are located on your device.

Thanks,
Mike
(10-03-2017, 02:51 AM)Zuberman Wrote: ..... it would helpful to know where the audio files are located on your device.

Thanks,
Mike

Well, that's a good question Wink . Initially many of the audio files are placed on the external card, the rest would be where Android sticks them by default. 

I use the default MSP storage mechanism of one directory per song (and all stored on the external card).  So, once I have linked MSP to any audio, file they are then stuck in the same directory as the corresponding music chart.  

As it's exactly the same audio that's not appearing on two separate tablets, I'm starting to wonder if it's a problem that's down to the MP3's themselves.  When I get the time, I'll have a closer look at them and see if there's something funny with their structure.

I stress this is not a major problem for me.  Firstly, it's only some eight or nine audio files that are missing (don't know how many there are in total, but it must be well into three figures).  Secondly, it's not like they are tracks I need for a performance, they only there for rehearsal reference.
Graeme

Some of my music here
Thanks Graeme. Please let me know if you uncover any more information. I just want to make sure this problem doesn't wind up affecting a lot of other users.

Thanks,
Mike
I'll do that. It might not matter much for me, but it would matter a great deal to someone who relied on audio for performance.
Graeme

Some of my music here
(09-26-2017, 08:06 AM)GraemeJ Wrote: These files are not missing on the primary tablet, neither are they missing from the backup I had just made.

How did you verify they are indeed included in the backup?

I had some similar issues where it turned out that the missing files were somehow not included in the backup file.
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).
(10-04-2017, 04:19 PM)sciurius Wrote: How did you verify they are indeed included in the backup?

I had some similar issues where it turned out that the missing files were somehow not included in the backup file.

Open the backup file with Companion and then extract the relevant chart/s.  The audio file, if it exists, will extracted with the chart.
Graeme

Some of my music here
Update - although I'm not sure if it gets us any further towards a solution.

Having just updated the program and having made a few changes to charts, setlists, etc, I did a new backup via Companion.  I then restored that backup to one of my backup tablets, followed by a check for missing files.  As before, the same MP3 files were missing, in my case "7 songs found with 9 total missing files" (a couple of charts have two MP3 attachments).  

Again, I checked the 'missing' files were in the backup and it seemed they were - until I got to the last one on the list.  The two MP3's associated with that chart were not included in the backup, although they are on the primary tablet.

Up to now, I was inclined towards the theory that the problem lay with the MP3's - although there appears to be nothing abnormal with them - but with files missing from the backup, I'm not so sure anymore.
Graeme

Some of my music here
Thanks Graeme. Sounds like I'm definitely going to need to do some rigorous testing with the backup/restore to see if I can reproduce the scenario where files aren't properly included in the backup.
Since this has already bitten me a couple of times, count me in if you need help/testing.
Johan
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
(10-09-2017, 04:45 AM)sciurius Wrote: Since this has already bitten me a couple of times, count me in if you need help/testing.

Missing audio files are not a ball-breaker for me, but I'm happy to help out with any testing.
Graeme

Some of my music here
(10-09-2017, 09:03 AM)GraemeJ Wrote: Missing audio files are not a ball-breaker for me, but I'm happy to help out with any testing.

In my cases, it was not limited to audio.

See http://zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/forum/...p?tid=3989
and http://zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/forum/...p?tid=4141
Johan