• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Synchronising tablets.
This not a feature I ever thought I would need/use, but in an attempt help my new bass player get to grips with stuff quickly, I thought I'd use one of my backup tablets and synchronise it with my main one.  

I got them to work together with no problem, but I did find a major drawback.  Some of the files in this set are chordpro (not keen on it, but that's what I was given to work with) and they display differently because the two tablets are different screen sizes (master is 12.2", slave is 10.2").  Obviously, since I always save the settings when I do a backup, whatever text sizes I have set are the same on the smaller tablet - where they really need to be reduced to make the pages fit the same as the master.

As we would only be using the tablets during rehearsal, it's not a big problem, I can just let him have the backup tablet in stand-alone mode.

However, the question is, have I missed a trick here?
Graeme

1: Samsung 12.2" SM-P900: Android 5.0.2 
2: eSTAR GRAND HD Quad-Core 4G 10.2": Android 5.1 
3: Home-built BT pedal

Some of my music here
This caught my eye immediately, I thought you were talking about 'synchronizing files', rather than the master/slave functionality.

Or maybe I missed a trick?

Anyway, I was just about to set up two tablets to see if I had a similar result (one 7" and one 10" should be enough disparity to create an issue), but as I was starting the tablets it occurred to me that there would definitely be issues if the scrolling were not set to 'percent of page' on both tablets...but I now see you have 'saved settings' in your back-up, so that shouldn't be an issue.

I'll go do some testing and report back...
I could be wrong, it happened once before.
I was not able to get satisfactory results with either the larger tablet as the master, or the smaller one.

I did make sure both units were set to scroll a percentage of the PAGE.

I tried using WIFI and Bluetooth.

With all combinations the master was able to tell the slave what song to display...works like a charm!

The scrolling didn't work. Mostly the slave started scrolling just fine, but didn't seem to get the STOP signal at the correct time, and continued to scroll ahead of the master.
I could be wrong, it happened once before.
Scrolling is not a concern for me, I never use it.  My little problem is related to the fact that text pages, unlike PDF's, are not scaled across different sized screens.
Graeme

Some of my music here
In your case it is not global settings that inadvertently were copied to the target device, but the fact that every song has the actual text display settings included in its individual metadata.

You can manually adjust one song to the right settings, and then apply this setting to all songs (there's a button for that).
But you would need to repeat this every time new songs are imported.

I don't know if this can be addressed with a simple "scale everything by ..." since it involves the subtilities of line and page breaking.
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).
(11-01-2017, 10:29 PM)sciurius Wrote: In your case it is not global settings that inadvertently were copied to the target device, but the fact that every song has the actual text display settings included in its individual metadata.

You can manually adjust one song to the right settings, and then apply this setting to all songs (there's a button for that).
But you would need to repeat this every time new songs are imported.

I don't know if this can be addressed with a simple "scale everything by ..." since it involves the subtilities of line and page breaking.

It's no big deal for me, but I can see how it might be a real problem for someone who is running a 'master' tablet for a number of people - all using tablets of different screen sizes.  It's simply too much to expect this additional input from each user and it would be interesting to get Mike's input on the possibility of scaling, dependent on screen size.  I suspect this is not something that would be easy to achieve.

NB:  As a simple solution I just converted the few files concerned to PDF - my problem solved, although I appreciate this would not be a good solution for many users.
Graeme

Some of my music here
Due to visualization of text/chord pro files being dynamic in nature, it's quite difficult to ensure that the file looks the same when loaded on different tablets.  One thing I could do to get closer to this goal when sharing a library would be to save the density of the tablet screen where the text/chord pro file was first created (I already do this for things like annotations and link points). If the song using that file was shared with another tablet, I could then scale the font sizes based upon the difference in screen densities. While this would make it easier to share the song with someone else, I could easily see it getting really confusing if a user sees that his font sizes for one song are set to very different values than the font sizes used in other songs. 

Mike
Wouldn't that still give problems when you share from a 16:9 to a 16.10 screen?
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).
Mike this really isn't a problem for me - I have my own work-around. 

Unless a boatload of other users ask for it, I would be tempted to leave well alone.
Graeme

Some of my music here
Yes, it would - I don't think there is any way I can guarantee the file will be rendered the same way if the aspect ratios are different.