• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Print Dialog is Blank
When I choose print from the overflow menu for a song, MSP displays a totaly blank, white page. It's been a while (months) since I tried it, but previously it would display options as per the manual and I could print using Google Cloud print. I'm on a Pixelbook ChromeOS 80.0.3987.128, MSP 2.9.0.

John
I'm going to have to look into why it's happening, but it looks like Google's print framework is waiting until my app has rendered every page of the document before showing it to the user. So if you wait for awhile (possibly 15-60 seconds depending upon your PDF), the print dialog will finally come up and you can use the printing feature like normal. I'll see if there is some way for me to fix whatever is going on so it renders in the background like it's supposed to.

Mike
It seems like this must have been a change Google made on their side for the print dialog. My code hasn't changed in a very long time and it still works correct on my non-chrome OS devices. The main problem is that my code matches exactly what Google says you should do for printing (I do everything in the background), but their side is now waiting for my background processing to finish before showing the user anything which makes no sense at all. There seems to be nothing I can change in my code to fix this problem as I don't control Google's print service (it's a part of the OS that applications can utilize and communicate with). Hopefully Google is aware of the issue and will eventually fix it.

Mike
(03-13-2020, 08:57 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: It seems like this must have been a change Google made on their side for the print dialog. My code hasn't changed in a very long time and it still works correct on my non-chrome OS devices. The main problem is that my code matches exactly what Google says you should do for printing (I do everything in the background), but their side is now waiting for my background processing to finish before showing the user anything which makes no sense at all. There seems to be nothing I can change in my code to fix this problem as I don't control Google's print service (it's a part of the OS that applications can utilize and communicate with). Hopefully Google is aware of the issue and will eventually fix it.

Mike

Thanks for looking into this so quickly. I selected a single page chart and waited over 20 minutes and the dialog still did not appear.

I use MSP daily but I don't print much from it, so it's not a pressing issue. When you say "non-chrome OS devices" do you mean Android? I guess maybe Windows, but I don't use it so I don't know. I think I'll get an Android tablet. ChromeOS seems to have frequent problems running Android apps.

Chromebook printing seems to be very weak and Google is planning on killing cloud print later this year. My Brother printer is not yet supported under ChromeOS for direct printing. I have it working well with cups on Ubuntu Linux and thought about rooting my chromebook and try to get it running there, but I'm retired (Unix admin) and the key word is "retired"...I just want to play music.

Off topic:
The most important issue for me with MSP is being able to create custom stamps. I've seen this feature requested already, but here's my vote. In particular, I'd like blank guitar (and other string instruments) fretboard stamps.

Thanks,
John
That's bizarre that you never saw the dialog displayed - I'm not sure why I'm seeing different behavior on my Chromebook. I wish I had an easy way to communicate with Google engineers about it so I could get some answers.

I've been working hard on the annotations redesign the last couple months. A couple weeks back, I implemented all of the custom stamp code and tested dropping in both custom bitmaps and custom SVG files. Both worked great. So that feature will be available as soon as the redesign is released.

Mike
Are you testing with a large library installed?

That's very good news about the stamps!

John
The library I tested with on my Chromebook had about a 1000 songs in it. I'm not sure why that would have any impact on printing though, unless you were printing a file with hundreds of pages in it.

Mike
The library size was just a wild guess on my part. I have over 5000 songs, many are fake books imported from CSV which only have 1 large file for all the songs in them, I believe.

I just upgraded to ChromeOS 80.0.3987.137 and MSP 2.9.2, but the problem remains. Also after waiting about 30 min for the print dialog, MSP no longer responds to the back arrow to return to the library and I must restart the app.

I agree that Google needs to fix it's printing service. Don't knock your self out over this. I intend to wait and see what they do in regards to printing in general before I spend any more time trying to configure my Brother printer. Since the last time I was able to print from MSP (months ago), I tried installing the Android printer apps for Brother printers, but they only work for certain applications, mostly chrome browser. Maybe they changed my print service in some way that causes the different behavior between our Chromebooks. Also I think different Chromebook vendors do some customizing of ChromeOS.

I'm looking forward to the stamps! It's really hard to draw 6 parallel lines on the screen Smile

John
Does this apply to all song you are trying to print or is it only when you try to print a page from a lsrge fakebook?
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
All songs. I specifically chose songs that I knew I imported singly as PDFs file size around 120K and also ones associated with a batch import with file sizes in the 10s of MB.