Creating network for tablets to join for Master/Slave
I was able to implement the 

Code:
settings put global_captive_portal_server_detection_enabled 0

and confirmed it by 

Code:
settings get global_captive_portal_server_detection_enabled
with a response of "0".

Unfortunately this did not help .... or possibly my implementation was faulty or plain wrong.

I've narrowed down the issue to ... the Master/Slave won't work correctly if (Android 5) does NOT have internet connection.

It works great on my home network (with internet). Does not work when on my gig network (without internet running Apple Airport Express).

I'm guessing my options are ... 
1. buy 9 new tablets that are capable to upgrading the Android OS.
2. some how get internet access at gigs via tethers my Router to my iPhone or other way.
3. give up and become a short order cook.
12 tablets (Insignia, ONN, Dragon Touch). Ranging from Android 5 to 9.
We can also try to get bluetooth working correctly for you. How much have you tested with that? I know you said you experienced problems, but I just want to know if the feature will work at all for you, and where the problems are occurring.

Thanks,
Mike
Have you considered installing a custom ROM on those tablets? That could eliminate the problem altogether or at least allow the steps you took above to possibly work.

Mike
(05-18-2018, 09:04 AM)Zuberman Wrote: Have you considered installing a custom ROM on those tablets? That could eliminate the problem altogether or at least allow the steps you took above to possibly work.

Mike

I have zero clue how to do that. What i DO know how to do is completely mess up one of my tablets by somehow getting it into FastBoot mode (or something like that)....then the screen cracked so I dumped it and bought another tablet.

Here's a clue to something...

This tablet runs Android 7. When I set it all up and used it as the Master on my Wifi with no Internet, I was able to tell the tablet to ignore the fact it had no internet access.

I slaved 2 of my tablets to test it and they seemed to work thus far.  I bought an Insignia 11.6 FLEX (android 7).

So, maybe the issue was with the MASTER tablet running Android 5? I don't know. I'll run more tests tomorrow.

Re: Custom ROM ... I would have no clue how to do such a thing  Blush
(05-18-2018, 09:01 AM)Zuberman Wrote: We can also try to get bluetooth working correctly for you. How much have you tested with that? I know you said you experienced problems, but I just want to know if the feature will work at all for you, and where the problems are occurring.

Thanks,
Mike

I have not had great success with Bluetooth. Mainly because when I'm at a gig, there's time crunches and to put all the tablets into Bluetooth mode, searchable, and have them all sync hasn't been successful for me.

And maybe I'm wrong, but is bluetooth extremely reliable in a setting where there's a LOT of sound gear (wireless mics, electronics, etc) surrounding us on small stages. Maybe I should trust it more than I do.
I spoke too soon.

I cannot get the tablets, still, to stay connected to the group when on Wifi with no internet.

Some will, some will continuously disconnect from the group.

So, I switched to trying Bluetooth.

I have a tablet that will not pair, it says "failed to pair to NSP-11A8100".

I went into System Settings and tried to pair that way and it says it has the wrong code/pairing key and I'm not sure how to get it so sync.
I am now trying to connect the tablets via bluetooth to no avail.

I’m seeing a pattern.

I made all the tablets refresh their bluetooth cache again to start fresh.

I went into MSP and tried to Bluetooth pair 1 by 1.

It will pair 3 tablets successfully. When it tries to pair the 4th or above, it will fail.

So, lets say Tablet A,B,C are paired. D will Fail.

I’ll disconnect B, and try to pair D. D will now succeed.

So, is there a limit to how many tablets can be connected via Bluetooth?
It appears that the number of simultaneous connections that are possible may be device dependent: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/3816...er-android

However, this post seems to indicate that you should be able to get 7 synchronous connections: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/2115...to-android

My code has a limit of 8 connections, but from what I'm reading, 7 is the limit for bluetooth RFCOMM based connections, so that's the real limit.  I don't think bluetooth will work if you need 9 connections (even if we could figure out how to get you past 3). So I guess we should go back to focusing on WiFi. Let me ask this - do you have a cell phone that can act as a WiFi hotspot? I've used my phone for that and it works well as a router between devices. That would also solve the internet access issue.
To verify my bluetooth code is working correctly, I had my Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2" act as the server and then connected the following devices:

- HTC 10
- Nexus 7
- Nexus 10
- Samsung Chromebook Plus
- Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
- HP Touchpad running Android 6.0

I was able to load songs and turn pages on all of them. I didn't try to go above six connections, as I didn't have any other devices nearby, but I'm sure I could have at least gotten one more, and then that would have been the limit based on what I'm reading about RFComm. So it would appear the issues you are facing are specific to your device, and WiFi is probably the only option for you.

Mike
I have

6 x's Insignia NS-P10A6100 (android 5)
1 x   Insignia NS-P11A8100.V01.001 (android 7)
2 x's Insignia NS-P10A71000 V01.00.00 (android 5 i think)

I went and bought a HotSpot (Verizon Ellipse). I got the smallest data plan.

When I connected the Master to a slave on that network, it worked. I only tried it a few minutes as to not eat up my data plan. 

I'll report back for any issues.

If this helps anyone else with the same issues I'm having ... it looks like having actual internet access is necessary for some versions of Android's wifi connection to work properly.
Just wanted to update this thread.

I purchased a Verizon Hotspot.

All my tablets can successfully join the network and then join the Group created by the Master Tablet.

I've never been able to use them without at least 2 or 3 of them continuously losing connection to the group.

If and when any of the tablets (Master or Slave) are put to sleep during set breaks, the Master/Slave connection is forever lost. It can rejoin the group but it will drop the connection within a few seconds.

Still haven't been able to get this to work correctly.
I responded to your email - I'll be curious to hear if you are able to prevent the WiFi from going to sleep when the tablet screens are turned off. I'll have to see if I'm able to reproduce the issue with never being able to rejoin the master though. How many tablets are you connecting at once?

Thanks,
Mike
Mike, thanks for the reply.

It doesn’t matter how long I sleep the tablets for them to lose sync to the Group.
It could be 1 second or during our 15min breaks.

Last night we had a gig with 8 tablets running. 1 Master and 7 slaves.  Some on Android 5, some on 6 or 7.

None of the tablets stayed connected.

All tablets at one point or another lost sync to the Master. When the dialogue box pops up asking if I want it to keep connecting to the group comes up, I’ll select YES. Then every 2 seconds or so I’ll see the prompt at the bottom of the App telling me it lost Group 1 … then reconnected … then lost…then reconnected.

In order for the slaves to sync to the Master when the master selects a new song, on the master tablet I have to select the song, then go back to into my set list and select it again, then go back and select it again … about 4 or 5 times until all the tablets have received the song change command.

On all the tablets’ settings under WIFI I have selected to keep WiFi on always.

It doesn’t matter if I sleep the Master or the Slave … if either one’s screen is turned off, it’ll go into that bad loop of trying losing group sync, then res-syncing, then losing…etc etc.

Even if I force stop MSP by closing the app, the apps small prompt window at the bottom telling me that it lost or regained sync to Group 1 will continue to show even on the Android home screen.

At any rate … I would LOVE the Master Slave functionality but in my circumstance with 8+ tablets, have never been able to get it to work properly.