• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How best to organize music
New user here who is taking piano lessons and wondering how best to organize categories of music and looking for suggestions.

Some pieces are memorized, and of these some I can play fairly well but some still need work.

The same goes for pieces that are not memorized.

Plus, there are usually a couple of pieces that I can play that I am working on memorizing.

Some pieces are items that I am currently working on that are assigned by my piano teacher with whom I meet weekly.  In addition to regular pieces, these can also include exercises such as Hanon.

Of pieces that I can play, they need to be played every so often (maybe weekly?) so that they stay fresh.  (Maybe a day of the week category (Monday, Tuesday...) with such pieces divided into those days?)

There are other pieces that interest me that I haven't started on yet, or did start on once upon a time but put aside meaning to revisit sometime.  Perhaps these should also be grouped together.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue and has any suggestions.
NuVision 13.3" Full HD - 16GB - Android Internet Tablet with Keyboard Case, Stand & Stylus (TM1318) - Purple
I'm kind of in the same situation. I have a two week practice schedule/cycle. What I started to do (still a work in progress) is to set up a setlist for each day, e.g. "Monday 1" for Monday of week 1, "Tuesday 1", etc. Then under each setlist, I load the specific practice stuff for that day (e.g. for "Monday 1" I have chromatic scales, Segovia scales, some exercises, and some songs).

It would be nice to group these setlists under another setlist (or maybe a collection?) named "Practice log" but it does not seem possible to do that (?).
Actually, I hadn't even thought of using Setlists.  I was just using Collections.
NuVision 13.3" Full HD - 16GB - Android Internet Tablet with Keyboard Case, Stand & Stylus (TM1318) - Purple
As Charlie says, Setlists are probably the way to go; at least until you get more familiar with the app.
Setlists also allow you to order the pieces and/or include one more than once.

Another alternative is that you add a piece to more than one collection - probably not as versatile as Setlists as sorting is not so easy.

Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
The boss says there's currently no way to group setlists, so not a big deal, I'll just have 10 setlists (Mon - Fri x 2). But I think you can attach notes to each file in the setlist, so that would be useful if you wanted to work on a specific technique for a specific song (e.g. vibrato on scales) for a cycle.
(02-09-2018, 02:42 AM)Geoff Bacon Wrote: As Charlie says, Setlists are probably the way to go; at least until you get more familiar with the app.
Setlists also allow you to order the pieces and/or include one more than once.

Another alternative is that you add a piece to more than one collection - probably not as versatile as Setlists as sorting is not so easy.

Geoff

Actually, that is what I have been doing, namely adding a piece to more than one collection.  I am only a low/mid level intermediate player, so I'm not talking about much of a repertoire here.
I organize my music completely differently.

I have >1,000 songs, including many orchestral keyboard parts and vocal scores (e.g. the Verdi Requiem is 144 pages, others are larger). I essentially never play from paper any more (left foot does not turn the page Smile ).

I deleted the Genre-s that come with MobilsSheetsPro, and created a Genre for each type of music I play: Classical Piano, Showtunes&Pop, Christmas Piano, Christmas Songs, Baritone Songs, ... -- use names that are most relevant for you and your library. I also created a Genre for each group with which I play, plus two more: "Working" and "Repertoire". Whenever I upload a PDF to MobileSheetsPro, I assign the relevant Genre(s). Now selecting Genre gives me just the songs I want (a specific group, my Working or Repertoire list, or simply Showtunes&Pop for sight-reading practice).

For large scores I usually put each movement into a separate file, starting its name with the movement number so they are automatically arranged in order (use 01, 02, ... if more than 9 movements). As I only have one large piece at a time per group/Genre, this works well (delete the whole piece after the concert).

I have two Hannspree 13" tablets for playing. I manage my music on a MacBook Pro (using VMware Fusion to run the Companion App in Windows 10). I never annotate or modify music using MobileSheets, I do it on the Mac in the PDF, and then upload to both tablets, keeping the two tablets in sync at all times. I have no need to backup the tablets, as I backup the Mac in 5 different ways.

I have found it difficult to navigate backwards with the pedal, especially multiple pages, and in the past I occasionally pressed the wrong pedal. So now both pedals do PageForward. I edit the PDF files to remove any repeats, copying them inline and whiting-out irrelevant staves, so I only move forward while playing.

I have been using MobileSheetsPro for many years, and I love it! This organization works well for me, but of course YMMV.