• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Android app on Chromebook
Information 
Hi all!

I am looking at getting a convertible chromebook instead of another tablet (cost mostly with a bigger screen! :-) )  Anyway, I wanted to check to see if the Android app will still work on a chromebook just like a regular android tablet

For example Acer R13 13.3" 2-in1 Convertible...https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B078TPD4CQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=A2HDUMA4P2S7LF&psc=1

Thanks a bunch!
MobileSheetsPro should run just fine, but there are two things that need to be considered:

1) Chromebooks don't currently handle SD cards well, and apps won't be able to write to them. Even read access is a pain as apps have to go through the Storage Access Framework (which is slow). So as long as you aren't planning on using an SD card, you'll be fine.

2) The MIDI library I'm using doesn't work on Chromebooks. For Chromebooks running Android 6.0 or higher, I'm going to be integrating Google's MIDI library which does work on Chromebooks. So there will be a solution for this in the near future, but for now, you won't be able to connect MIDI devices.

Mike
(05-02-2018, 05:57 AM)Zuberman Wrote: MobileSheetsPro should run just fine, but there are two things that need to be considered:

1) Chromebooks don't currently handle SD cards well, and apps won't be able to write to them. Even read access is a pain as apps have to go through the Storage Access Framework (which is slow). So as long as you aren't planning on using an SD card, you'll be fine.

2) The MIDI library I'm using doesn't work on Chromebooks. For Chromebooks running Android 6.0 or higher, I'm going to be integrating Google's MIDI library which does work on Chromebooks. So there will be a solution for this in the near future, but for now, you won't be able to connect MIDI devices.

Mike

Cool!

1.  I currently use an OLD Google Nexus table now, with no SD card, and seems to run just fine. I'm not worried about that right now.  I backup to may laptop anyway

2.  I think it would be ok right now for the MIDI, I don't connect anything anyway! :-)  I'm strictly orchestral / band in natural so don't require a lot of extras.

I appreciate your help and input!