• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MSS file format
Hi.

Currently, I create my setlists in a Google Sheets file in which I copy/paste/move tunes around until I'm happy with the set list. Then I get one of my tablets, hook it up to the Companion, and create the setlist a second time in the Companion to get it into Mobile Sheets Pro so I can upload it to Dropbox and share it with my other tablets and my band members.

Creating setlists and then having to re-create it in another system is one of the tasks in running my band that by far take up the most time.

So I'm in process of writing a band management system (mostly for my own benefit but it will be public eventually - PM me if you're interested) with a setlist builder that will at least speed up making the setlists.

My hope is that I can find a way to export a finished MSS file from within my system.

The XML format looks fairly self-explanatory, but I thought I'd ask a few questions to be sure.

1. How is the file in question identified between the MSS file and the Mobile Sheets Pro file database - by the Title or the FileName? I believe by default the Title is extracted from the FileName on import, but the Title can be changed later while I am guessing the FileName would remain the same...
2. Do the Title and the FileName have to match, or could the Title be different as long as the FileName matches the name of the imported file?
3. What does FileType stand for, and should it ever be different from the value of 1 in the example file I am checking?

I'd appreciate any help with this.

Thanks!
Why not just create the setlist in MSP? Select the 'SETLIST' tab. select 'New' [at the top]. Then make your song selections from the songs available in the main library and position them.
Dell Latitude 13.5" 2-in-1 Ubuntu/Win 11
Samsung Note Pro SM-P900 12.2 Android 5.0.2
Samsung S7+, Android 12
(01-23-2019, 10:04 AM)Skip Wrote: Why not just create the setlist in MSP? Select the 'SETLIST' tab. select 'New' [at the top]. Then make your song selections from the songs available in the main library and position them.

I thought I had explained that, but let me try again in more detail:

I currently create my setlists using a ton of additional data - I try to vary keys and tempo between tunes and keep in mind if the tune has been played at the same venue recently and if I am missing a musician that is needed for this particular tune and if the tune is a good tune for dancing at a dancing event, and so on and so on.

The Setlist creation modules of MSP or the Companion do not offer that kind of detail.

So I currently create my setlist in a spreadsheet where I have all that information available, but it is slow and cumbersome.

Once I have a setlist, I DO then use this setlist to create a setlist file in the MSP Companion and my tablet, and that again is taking up a lot of my time.

I want to automate the process.

I am right now writing a system that will take all of these bits of data into consideration to allow me to create a setlist much faster than before, and then I would like to export an MSS file from my system that I can then directly load onto my tablets.

Yes, I am aware that the file names will have to match, etc.

...which is what I am trying to find out with this post.

So to be clear: I know that I can create setlists in MSP and the companion and that they can export MSS files for me. But I want to create MSS files myself to save myself a ton of time.

I'm not trying to be nasty or anything, but it seemed as if you hadn't understood my point at all, so I felt the need to explain further.
1) A match is first done on song title in the database. For each match that is found, the code then tries to find a matching file by comparing the file name in the database to the FileName field in the XML. If no matching file is found, the first matching song is used. 
2) Title is the important part - the file name is the part that matters less and is really only used to handle situations where multiple songs may have the same title
3) FileType should match what the type of the file is. Supported values include Image=0, PDF = 1, Text = 2, ChordPro = 3, Blank = 5.

Let me know if you need any additional information. I probably should have gone with a different file format such as json which is a little less verbose, but hopefully the XML isn't too tedious to work with.

Mike
(sorry, had to retype - editing the quote somehow messed things up...)
Thank you so much, that was exactly what I needed!
And no worries, XML will work just fine.
FYI, still loving MSP, and I keep recommending MSP to other musicians :-)
Thanks for the detail. Now it makes sense to me.
Dell Latitude 13.5" 2-in-1 Ubuntu/Win 11
Samsung Note Pro SM-P900 12.2 Android 5.0.2
Samsung S7+, Android 12
Seems like another case where the Song ID could be used.
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).
Sure, I can extend it to match on song ID first, and then fall back to title if no matching song ID is found.