• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Formatting in Setlist tunelists
This is a little frivolous (ok, very frivolous) compared with the rest of the useful features. If it already exists, please say so.

I would like, in a set list, to see placeholders highlighted somehow. For instance, I would like to see "Set 2" or "Break" in bold, or with a coloured background, or coloured text. I know that I can do formatting on the placeholder itself, when I am on that page, but I would like it on the setlist list of tunes. I could use it not just on placeholders, but to highlight the tunes I need to read, so could find them quickly from the list, or indicate on the list which tunes I need to work on. 

Really, it's not a big thing, but I think about it all the time

Well, I see now that I can add emojis to the placeholder or tune names. That might work. It gives that splash of colour. I'll just leave this request here, though, in case other people have wanted it.
+*+
Wendy Cutler
I think most people just set up a pdf (or pdf's to do this) e.g. Set up a one page PDF called "Break" which contains a large "BREAK" text

I precede my pdf names by "Z_" ( these puts them out of the way in in the relatively unused "Z" letter group).

Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
Thanks for the reply. Setting up a placeholder is even easier than that (you do that from the setlist, give the position number and the text; then it's available as a tune name for other setlists). But it's in the setlist that I want it formatted. 

Now that I have discovered emojis, which I discovered while I was typing my request and looking around for something I was missing), I think I can be satisfied. If I put an emoji as the first character, it sorts in that letter group, so at the front, and they're in colour in the setlist. Now I just have to remember to look for "Exclamation Break Exclamation Break Exclamation Break  Exclamation " at the start of the alphabet instead of under B. If I can't remember that, I will remove the first emoji. 

There are better emojis than I get here for my example, but I'm not sure there is this Exclamation one - that's great to use after the name of a tune I need to read or work on.
+*+
Wendy Cutler
You live and learn

Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
But now I've tried it, the placeholder shows as a blank page when I advance from the preceding song. As I hardly ever look at the list itself once I've started playing it, this doesn't really help me much; I will stick with pdfs that say "Break", "Last One", "Break After Next" etc

Cheers
Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
(05-11-2019, 03:18 AM)Geoff Bacon Wrote: But now I've tried it, the placeholder shows as a blank page when I advance from the preceding song. As I hardly ever look at the list itself once I've started playing it, this doesn't really help me much; I will stick with pdfs that say "Break", "Last One", "Break After Next" etc

Cheers
Geoff

I don't have time to test right now - maybe I edited the placeholder and inserted the text (click the A on the edit toolbar - you can set the font size, colour)? Must be - I have placeholders come up that say BREAK in great big letters, but the name of the placeholder was 
BREAK BREAK BREAK BREAK BREAK
+*+
Wendy Cutler
I support the feature request for colored song list entries. Imho it should be an additional setting per song.
first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de

For now I use special song files as separators. They are in a specific Collection so that I can include / exclude them using filters.
To mark them in the setlists they have source type "----------------------------------------", I always display source type.

See the attached screen shot how it looks like on my tablet.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11

If a color selection is made available for song titles, should it apply to every place in the library, or should it be a setlist-specific or group-specific setting?

Thanks,
Mike
(05-11-2019, 08:01 AM)itsme Wrote: For now I use special song files as separators. ...
Right, thanks. That's what Goeff Bacon suggested. I am doing the same thing for separators, using the Add Placeholder function (instead of an external program to create the file):

Quote:Add Placeholder – Creates a new song with a single blank page in it. This can be used to create and prepare a song that will later contain a real file instead of blank pages
Looking at the set list, you click the three vertical dots at the upper right, select Add Placeholder. 
It asks for Position and Name. You can select the emoji keyboard at that point to include coloured pictures in the name. Or you get the same editing functions as for any regular file. In contents edit, you can select the A to add text to the file, or in the file description edit, you can edit the file name. If you don't see emojis when you edit the title, click the three vertical dots on the upper right of the keyboard.

I am attaching my set list now with a set separator. Since I used that musical notes emoji as the first character, when I edit any set list, the list of tunes to select from has all the ones with the musical notes emoji at the top, so adding a placeholder adds it to your available files for any set list. And you can drag them to where you want them like you can for all the songs in a set list.

That's my workaround. But I don't just want it for separators - I want to highlight tunes in a set list for some reason - either to read them at the gig, when I'm mostly not reading anything, or to indicate that they need practice. So in that case, it's not a matter of a separate file. For now, I will add an emoji to the end of the filename to be that indicator.
+*+
Wendy Cutler
(05-11-2019, 08:43 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: If a color selection is made available for song titles, should it apply to every place in the library, or should it be a setlist-specific or group-specific setting?

Thanks,
Mike
Thanks for even considering this, Mike!

I never considered that you would add that much functionality to it. I assumed it would work the way any update works on a song title - across the board. Can there be the option? As I kept typing below, I think I have talked myself into every place in the library.

For separators, it would be fine (or even good) to have it apply every place in the library.

But where I want to highlight a specific song for some reason, maybe it doesn't need to be every place. But there isn't any harm in having it every place - when I don't want it that colour any more, say in the next set list that uses that file, I presumably can remove the colour and it would remove it every place, right?

Note that I replied to another post before I read this and replied.
+*+
Wendy Cutler
@Mike: I would prefer that the song title color applies to every place where a song appears in a list: Setlists, Songs, Collections...

@Wendy, Geoff: having a separate collection (or maybe a Genre) for separators seems more flexible to me than tweaking the title.
Learning to use filters is worth the effort. Applying stored filters is very flexible and convenient.
I have stored filters for eg.
preparing setlists: include Collection "Band A", include Collection "Separators", exclude Genre "XMas"
all "true" songs except christmas songs: exclude Genre "XMas", exclude Collection "Separators", exclude Collection "Tips+Tricks"

@itsme

Thanks for that

I do use the filters.
For me, as I only use Breaks etc, in one of my groups so it makes sense to just keep these pages in a single collection.

Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
Star 
(05-11-2019, 06:14 PM)itsme Wrote: @Mike: I would prefer that the song title color applies to every place where a song appears in a list: Setlists, Songs, Collections...

@Wendy, Geoff: having a separate collection (or maybe a Genre) for separators seems more flexible to me than tweaking the title.
Learning to use filters is worth the effort. Applying stored filters is very flexible and convenient.
I have stored filters for eg.
preparing setlists: include Collection "Band A", include Collection "Separators", exclude Genre "XMas"
all "true" songs except christmas songs: exclude Genre "XMas", exclude Collection "Separators", exclude Collection "Tips+Tricks"

Thanks, @itsme. I would just tweak the title for a real song where I want to highlight it on the list for some reason, like practice this! Or remember to play it.
I'm so happy with my smilie prefix for separator names, I'm going to keep using that. They're all sorted to that "letter" of the alphabet.
+*+
Wendy Cutler
I'll bet this complicates things, but I would also like the formatting option to be available for set list names. Because I have used alpha months in my set list names (Bandname year 3-char-alpha-month day event), it's not all that easy for me to find the list I'm currently working on. My fault, I know, except that alpha months are just more clear to me. So I would like to edit the current list name and make it red, or yellow highlighting, or add an emoji to the end (that's not available for setlist renaming).
+*+
Wendy Cutler