• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Large Tablet v Chromebook?
Hello,

I have been pretty happy with relatively inexpensive large tablets.  I was particularly fortunate to pick up a couple of Nuvision 13.3 tablets for (as it turns out) blow out prices. (<$100)

It looks like now larger tablets are more difficult to find and more expensive (I want at least 16 GB ram and 13 inch or larger (but not too large) screen).

At the same time, it looks like Chromebooks are coming down in price.

So, for those of us using Android OS (and want larger screens), is Chromebook the way to go? 

I suppose it would have to be touch screen and either detachable or flippable?

Thoughts?  

Jeff
Don't know if this information will help in any manner...

I'm using a HP Slate Pro 12" tablet, mounted on a tripod.  MobileSheets works fine for PDF but I've discovered that I also need the ability to edit MS Doc music... which would require Word (or an equivalent Android WP program) and a keyboard. 

I could buy a keyboard for the 12" tablet and could sign up for the Android version of Word... but there is some cost.  (There is a free word processing program for Android... WPS Office... that works with MS Doc but is only free for tablets 10" or smaller.... so I'm stuck with buying MS Word.)

A MS Surface with keyboard (and Word) would be nice but the cost is high.

Good luck.
Have you tried the Softmaker products for Android? The Basic ones are free (but I recommend the paid ones anyway, also their Windows products are really good).

https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...r.hd.basic
I've been using a Chuwi Hi13 13.5" Win10 tablet for a couple of years now which I bought specifically for running MobileSheets on and have been very happy with the system.  I purchased it on Alibaba for ~$325 which included the optional stylus and keyboard as well (although I haven't used the keyboard at all). I also bought a 128GB SD card for storing my MobileSheets library.  With the brightness and the CPU power at low levels, I still get about 8 hours of battery time running MobileSheets. Although my main use, playing piano in a contra dance band, rarely requires page turns during a set, I still plan on getting a USB or Bluetooth footswitch for turning pages.  
I don't know if the trade war with China has affected the availability or price of the Chuwi Hi13 but I can highly recommend it for running the Windows version of MobileSheets.

Walter Weinzinger
Flagstaff, AZ
Yamaha MOXF8
Yamaha Clavinova CVP-206
Yamaha Baby Grand ca 1969
Chuwi 13.5" H13, Win10, 128GB  μSD
Attracted by the thread topic I'd like to ask for your opinions on *really* large tablets, or as an alternative respective non-touch screens.

The background: A fellow piano player would love to apply "electronic paging" but has defined her need to support 2 score pages side-by-side. According to my calculation a 20+" display should do a sensible job, but there are, in my notion, no real light-weight touch systems around to serve that desire.

My suggestion would be to take a comparably small tablet (or the like) to do some required visual editing by pen, but use a secondary non-touch pure display as piano score display that will only support the performance-wise required bluetooth paging of two full-size pages.

My questions to the community here:

# Could you suggest real light-weight 20+" screens (at least full-hd) that could do such a job on a piano score sheet holder? (I found a 20" and a 22" Dyon display with weights of 2.2 or 2.5 kg so far. Anyone knowing one with less weight?)
# Which systems would support such a system setting? I'd guess Android is not a real choice?
# Is there some "industrial" solution to read two capacitive sensors instead of a foot pedal - which would be more appropriate for a piano in the fashion of two sensor strips on the front face of the piano keyboard?

I discussed support matters of a Linux version (like on the Raspberry Pi, with its abundant possibilities to support alternative sensing equipment) with Mike but he turned down my hope for very comprehensible reasons (*sniff* Sleepy )

Cheers,
Petra
Playing classical music on a wind controller hobby-wise - and tired of carrying around tons of paper sheets.  Wink
Can't help you with that one. 

Just picked up another Nuvision TM 1318 tablet as (another) backup.  (Hopefully these Nuvision tablets will keep working for me for another 5 years.)

Jeff
(08-09-2019, 06:03 AM)Petra-Kathi Wrote: A fellow piano player would love to apply "electronic paging" but has defined her need to support 2 score pages side-by-side. According to my calculation a 20+" display should do a sensible job, but there are, in my notion, no real light-weight touch systems around to serve that desire.

Not sure why I would drag large 20+ heavy display and be dependent on power outlet.

Since MobileSheets support wireless master/slave page turning anyone can have 12 or 13 inch multiple tablets beside each other.

Examples (total weight of): 
- two rooted 13.3 inch Sony DPT-RP1 = 698 grams
- two 13.3 inch Boox Max2 = 1.1kg
- two 12.3 inch Google Pixel Slate = 1.46kg
- two 12.3 inch HP Chromebook X2 = 1.46kg

Two side by side 13 inch tablets will be more portable and in case of ereaders more rugged and less power hungry.
(08-09-2019, 06:03 AM)Petra-Kathi Wrote: A fellow piano player would love to apply "electronic paging" but has defined her need to support 2 score pages side-by-side. According to my calculation a 20+" display should do a sensible job, but there are, in my notion, no real light-weight touch systems around to serve that desire.

My questions to the community here:

# Could you suggest real light-weight 20+" screens (at least full-hd) that could do such a job on a piano score sheet holder? (I found a 20" and a 22" Dyon display with weights of 2.2 or 2.5 kg so far. Anyone knowing one with less weight?)
# Which systems would support such a system setting? I'd guess Android is not a real choice?
# Is there some "industrial" solution to read two capacitive sensors instead of a foot pedal - which would be more appropriate for a piano in the fashion of two sensor strips on the front face of the piano keyboard?

Cheers,
Petra

For somebody who really needs one large monitor the future is not that far. USB-C connected monitor independent on operating system:

(08-09-2019, 06:03 AM)Petra-Kathi Wrote: # Is there some "industrial" solution to read two capacitive sensors instead of a foot pedal - which would be more appropriate for a piano in the fashion of two sensor strips on the front face of the piano keyboard?

For somebody who really needs hands free and feet free page turning (like organists) there is a solution by using bite and tongue switches (buttocks were not tested yet):

Hello folks,

thanks a lot for the various great ideas and solutions that already are available!

While the wireless master/slave settings are by far the most persuasive and "foldable" ones they tend, IMHO, to be somewhat pricey, definitely so compared with one large (mostly stationary) screen.

The turning-by-bite solution may indeed be a better approach compared to the touch sensor one as it applies so far unused parts of the human body! Big Grin

And the USB-C monitor seems to be the most efficient way to get away with as few cables and rather low weight as possible.

I guess I'll have quite some things to discuss with my friend the next time I meet her!

Really great suggestions!

Petra
Playing classical music on a wind controller hobby-wise - and tired of carrying around tons of paper sheets.  Wink
(08-08-2019, 07:44 AM)jeffn1 Wrote: Hello,

I have been pretty happy with relatively inexpensive large tablets.  I was particularly fortunate to pick up a couple of Nuvision 13.3 tablets for (as it turns out) blow out prices. (<$100)

It looks like now larger tablets are more difficult to find and more expensive (I want at least 16 GB ram and 13 inch or larger (but not too large) screen).

So, for those of us using Android OS (and want larger screens), is Chromebook the way to go? 

Thoughts?  

Jeff

I just purchased an Acer R13 Convertible Chromebook and absolutely love the setup with Mobilesheets Pro. You can do all your editing in the laptop mode and then flip the screen all the way around into a beautiful 13.3" tablet screen. Works perfectly. Also works perfect with the Airturn BT-105. 10 hours battery life to top it off.
For large monitors, be sure they fit on your music stand. Many of them are fairly thin, but the cables stick straight out the back, making it impossible to put them on a standard music stand or piano. You could cut a hole in a music stand, I suppose, but that's not an option for a piano. Some have the cables plug in vertically, with a recess for the cable and connector; this makes them much more suitable for this.
(12-08-2019, 11:42 PM)mrchipk Wrote:

Thoughts?  

Jeff

I just purchased an Acer R13 Convertible Chromebook and absolutely love the setup with Mobilesheets Pro. You can do all your editing in the laptop mode and then flip the screen all the way around into a beautiful 13.3" tablet screen. Works perfectly. Also works perfect with the Airturn BT-105. 10 hours battery life to top it off.
Thanks, that is good to know!
(01-23-2020, 07:42 AM)jeffn1 Wrote:

Thoughts?  

Jeff

I purchased an Acer 13 too, MSP works great with just one exeption. When I connect my AirTurn BT-200 to the Chromebook, it turns from tablet mode to laptop mode and there is no way to change it back, only if I disconnect the pedal.
I just wonder if you have the same issue?
MSP on Samsung Galaxy TabPro S 12.2" Windows version
MSP on Huawei T5 Android tablet 10.2"
MSP on Acer Chromebook Spin 13 13.5" 3:2 ar.
AirTurn BT-200/S-4 page turner
Donner BT page turner
BiLi pro USB page turner
(01-23-2020, 10:06 PM)avago Wrote:
(01-23-2020, 07:42 AM)jeffn1 Wrote:

Thoughts?  

Jeff

I purchased an Acer 13 too, MSP works great with just one exeption. When I connect my AirTurn BT-200 to the Chromebook, it turns from tablet mode to laptop mode and there is no way to change it back, only if I disconnect the pedal.
I just wonder if you have the same issue?
Avago, does this help: https://zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/forum...487&page=2