• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Backup / Import Question
I have a question regarding the backup/import functions:

Lets say I have 200 songs in my library. 50 different titles, each with a "Trumpet 1" - "Trumpet 4" custom field and 1 - 4 difficulty set, and with arrangers, metronome settings and notes.

If I backup that library and import it into a new tablet using the Companion, does all the metadata get imported too? Will things like the metronome speeds and notes be imported?

Cheers, Chris.
Yep, everything will be backed up and restored.
when you backup library, does it backup Settings? There are a few there now, and as you add more features, setting them up again requires you to remember what they all were.

If not, then maybe an option to backup settings either in the library backup or as another file, although I wonder how many people would use this. I am setting up MS so have been doing small imports to test file names etc, then having to delete data each time.

Does MS backup to the cloud?
I have two tablets and MS on both, but with different setups. I am not sure how the cloud knows what belongs to which tablet - or maybe it does not - thinking if I ever need to reset/restore some time in the future.

Where is the audio put when it is restored - presumably in the MobileSheets storage? It says it backs up the private audio, so I assume it does not collect all audio used (meaning when you restore, you have to make sure audio tracks elsewhere are in the same locations.)
No, it does not currently backup the settings. I've been going back and forth trying to decide if those should be included in the backup. It would be really annoying if you backed up your library, and a month later needed to restore it and it reset some of your settings. Also, the settings are being changed so frequently that any method I use in the backup file would need to completely extensible (this isn't very hard though - I can just store name/value pairs). I'm open to suggestions with this though.

MS does not backup to the cloud. Are you suggesting that the settings should be backed up to the cloud, or the entire library? The libraries can get quite large, so I'm not sure that would be the best idea...

The location the audio is restored to is the same location it was in when the backup occurred. I'm doing some testing right now to ensure that all audio backup/restore is working as intended. This is actually part of what is delaying my release of the next update.
(06-29-2012, 04:28 PM)Zuberman Wrote: No, it does not currently backup the settings. I've been going back and forth trying to decide if those should be included in the backup ... I'm open to suggestions with this though.
If it is not much work and you have others wanting it, an idea would be to have a Backup settings option, which just does the settings (I suppose you could have a checkbox for this when a library backup is executed also.) Then anyone could use it if they need to.

Just a note on this (I have had to Clear Data from MS during my tests, so have had to reset my Settings a few times now) personally I think the naming of the Settings themselves could be improved for instance:
'Always show the page slider', could start with the words 'Page Slider'
'Enable Performance Mode' could just be 'Performance mode'
etc.
Minor idea, feel free to ignore it!

(06-29-2012, 04:28 PM)Zuberman Wrote: MS does not backup to the cloud. Are you suggesting that the settings should be backed up to the cloud, or the entire library? The libraries can get quite large, so I'm not sure that would be the best idea...
no I was just asking, actually I like it not backing up to the cloud. I have over 1GB of PDFs (over 1000 pages) so am just using the backup library option.

(06-29-2012, 04:28 PM)Zuberman Wrote: The location the audio is restored to is the same location it was in when the backup occurred. I'm doing some testing right now to ensure that all audio backup/restore is working as intended. This is actually part of what is delaying my release of the next update.
ok thanks. I do not want this to become more complicated than it could be, but I was thinking a backup (option?) could collect all audio and image files so you can totally backup or transfer to another device and have it all restore without having to worry about any files missing.

Thanks for your answers.