• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MSP does not recognize Korg Pa4x anymore
Yesterday i had to reinstall Windows on my Intel PC Stick. After that was done i downloaded MobilesheetsPro again on the PC and reinstalled the backup i made several days before. Luckely that worked !
The next step i took was connect my Pa4x to MSP. Set the control channel to 16, chose Korg as device and then went for the option to choose the Midi devices. Unfortunately there was no Korg Pa4x in the list, just the Microsoft GS Wavetable synth.

I hadn't changed anything on te keyboard, so i thought there would be something wrong with MSP. Tried my Behringer X-touch Mini with MSP and that was recognized. But not Korg.
Tried a different USB cable to see if that was the problem. No.
Triied different USB ports on the PC stick. No change.
Tried conecting through a USB hub. Nothing.
Installed the Korg USB midi driver. Made no change. Still no connection between MSP and my Pa4x.
Then i installed Midi-Ox to see if there was a midi signal coming from the keyboard. It did. 
Windows sees the Pa4x as a device.
When using Korgs Songbook editor, there is a connection going on.

The strangest thing is, before  reinstalling the PC Stick, everything worked flawlessly. I could choose songtitles on MSP or the Pa4x vice versa.
Installed MSP on a different computer (HP Envy 360 15 inch) and there everything worked fine. 
So i reinstalled Windows on the PC stick and ofcourse MSP also. Still no luck.

What did i overlook ? Tried reinstalling MSP several times.
I'm sorry to hear you are suddenly running into these issues Henk. Do you happen to know what version of MobileSheets you were running before the reinstall? It would help to know if you were on the latest (v2.7.4). If you installed the same version that was working previously, this would certainly be a mystery. If there were different versions involved, we could run some tests with an older version to see if something has changed that is causing your device to no longer be recognized.  I don't really have a lot of insight into what's happening under the covers with Microsoft's MIDI library (it's currently the only library available for UWP apps, so I hope this changes in the near future), so it's hard to say why it's not detecting your keyboard. It sounds like you've really covered all the things I would have recommended trying. Do you have a MIDI HUB you could try routing the Pa4x through so that MobileSheets is instead connecting to the HUB?

Mike
(10-28-2019, 04:46 PM)Zubersoft Wrote: I'm sorry to hear you are suddenly running into these issues Henk. Do you happen to know what version of MobileSheets you were running before the reinstall? It would help to know if you were on the latest (v2.7.4). If you installed the same version that was working previously, this would certainly be a mystery. If there were different versions involved, we could run some tests with an older version to see if something has changed that is causing your device to no longer be recognized.  I don't really have a lot of insight into what's happening under the covers with Microsoft's MIDI library (it's currently the only library available for UWP apps, so I hope this changes in the near future), so it's hard to say why it's not detecting your keyboard. It sounds like you've really covered all the things I would have recommended trying. Do you have a MIDI HUB you could try routing the Pa4x through so that MobileSheets is instead connecting to the HUB?

Mike
Thank you for help, Mike. I'm sorry i cannot recollect the version of MSP that was on the PC Stick before i reinstalled Windows. I'm sure it must have been the latest version 2.7.4 because i play every evening and everytime you send us an update i will install that. I'm now using MSP on my laptop, on which i'm running a 64 bit Windows install.
The PC Stick is a 32 bit Windows 10 install. To my regret i don't have a midi Hub.

As i mentioned before, strangely the Behringer X-touch mini (midi compliant) is been recognized as a midi device by MSP, the Korg isn't. Though, on my laptop it is ! There must be some issue between the PC Stick, MSP and the Pa4x.

So, for now, i'm using MSP on my HP Envy x360 15 inch with an external screen (in portrait mode) connected. That works fine too.

Henk
As a follow-up to this thread, I wanted to mention that there is a way to get any keyboard such as the KORG keyboards to connect to MobileSheets: add a hub between the keyboard and the device. One user had success using a simple USB hub like this: HAMA Hub USB 2.0

I'm purchasing a mio2 for testing: https://www.iconnectivity.com/products/midi/mio2

Essentially, if you put any MIDI class compliant device between your keyboard and the device running MobileSheets, it should get detected correctly as there is no longer a special driver required for the communication. This does mean running MIDI cables out of the keyboard in most cases, unless you have a device that can converter a USB input to class compliant MIDI on the other end such as this: https://www.midi-store.com/Kenton-MIDI-U...u44975.htm

Mike