• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Auto re-connect of tablets fails (master-slave)
Hi Mike,
thanks for your reply. I just played around with 2 iPads. The error occurs a bit random to me but what I can reproduce is:
2 iPads in the same WiFi.
I created a group on iPad 1 (master) and joined from iPad 2 (client). 
Both with re-connect on start enabled.
Then I close both apps and wait a few seconds. 
Start MobileSheets on iPad 1. 
Wait a few seconds. 
Start mobile on iPad 2. 
Re-connect fails.

Master says “waiting for client connection”. Client says “waiting for group xyz”.
Now in the connection options of the master, it looks as if there is no group started.

After clicking on “add new primary device”, re-connection works.
Funny thing is: if either master or client app remains open, while the other is restarted, re-connection works as expected.
Does this help?
Cheers,
Marc
(11-05-2023, 06:16 PM)Zubersoft Wrote: <snip>
What MobileSheets does is save the MAC address of the leader tablet, and if the leader changes IP addresses, MobileSheets will get the broadcast message with a different MAC address, and MobileSheets will recognize that the device is the same as the leader it was connected to, and will reconnect to that IP address instead.
<snip>

Huh?  A change of IP address doesn't change the MAC address.  

I suspect there's a small typo and the italicized part of the quote should have read "different IP address".
You're only paranoid if you're wrong  Cool
I'm using an Onyx Boox Tab X
Yes it was a typo. 

Marc/febus - I'll play around with that when I get a chance to see if I can reproduce what you've described. 

Mike
Thanks Mike, appreciated!
I've found the cause of the issue and a fix is included with version 3.8.19 which has been submitted to Apple. Let me know if it all looks good once you get the update.

Thanks,
Mike
Thx Mike, will report after next rehearsals.
Marc
(11-29-2023, 06:39 PM)febus Wrote: Thx Mike, will report after next rehearsals.
Marc

Hi Mike,
not sure if we are doing something wrong but last weekend we gave it a try during a show with a wifi built up by a Hootoo tripmate.
All tabs (iPads and Androind) have been connected to the wifi but could not see the host/group. Also the dropdown for the connection type (BT/WIFI) did not really work then. The UI seemed to stick to bluetooth form (e. g. showing the visibility toggle) although I changed it to WIFI.
The hootoo was not connected to the internet. Is this maybe a pre-requisite? 
I also figured out that changing the wifi seems to cause issues. When I change at home from the "home wifi" to the "band wifi" I seem to need to restart the MobileSheets app before other clients can connect.
I will give it a try with a direct connection, maybe the broadcasting did not work for any reason in the wifi?
Any further hints / best practices are welcome.
Thx,
Marc
I don't believe internet connectivity should matter for detecting the WiFi network, however some older Android devices had issues with being connected to WiFi without internet connectivity (the device would automatically disconnect from the WiFi). I'm not sure what Android OS versions your devices are running. I don't know why your iPads wouldn't work with the WiFi then either, as that code just looks at the list of interfaces and finds the first IPv4 address that isn't loopback and is enabled/running. As far as changing WiFi, if you do that in the middle of a connection, MobileSheets will not respond properly to that, as the code doesn't currently recalculate the IP address if the network changes. That's something I'll have to address at some point. So you'll want to disconnect and then set up the connection again if you change networks. You shouldn't need to completely close MobileSheets though - that surprises me. Did you try just simply disconnecting, closing the dialog, bringing it backup and then connecting again?

Mike
I agree, disconnecting usually is sufficient. However, it takes quite a while until a new IP address is discovered. But this is indeed something I can well live with. 
The bigger trouble I have is that the WiFi itself does not work properly. 
Is there someone else who can confirm the following:
iPads can no longer properly connect to WiFis without internet connection (running recent iOS version):
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/770...est&page=1
There are workarounds with manual network settings but MobileSheets still does not work then.
This is then probably an issue that apple would have to fix, or we need to go online with our router (which I do not really want through a mobile network)…