• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vertical Scrolling with short last page
Hi Mike

I have several pdfs that are about a page and a half long and I'm using automatic scrolling for these.

What I want to do is have my songs aligned at the top. When "Scrolling continuously to the end", I'd like the scrolling to stop when the bottom of the last (cropped) page is displayed i.e. the bottom of the preceding page would still be displayed.

This would make it easier to choose a suitable delay before scrolling starts and effectively would treat it as a roll of paper. It would also mean that the page hasn't scrolled too far if the leader has taken a long time to kick off the song.

There is a similar post on Vertical scrolling page alignment where it looks as though you have done something along these lines.

However, when I tried setting the alignment to the bottom (Display Settings), most of my PDFs have black space at the top (they tend to be single page).
The scrolling does stop as I wish (although when I first tried it, it scrolled through and showed the top of the next song in the setlist! And, before you ask, I hadn't performed a "Load All").

So is it possible to have the first page aligned to the top and still have the scrolling stopping as I would like?

Cheers
Geoff
Still on Android 2.8.2
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
Geoff,

Load your song, bring up the song overlay, load the display mode dialog, make sure the display mode is set to "Vertical Scrolling" and "Page Alignment" is set to "Bottom". You should see a checkbox at the very bottom to "Align first page to top". If you check that, you should get the behavior you are describing. Let me know if that is not the case.

Mike
Wonderful

Many thanks
Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
I'm working with vertical scrolling, Page Alignment" set to "Bottom", and checkbox "Align first page to top" activated. This works as described above.

BUT: If I'm using a setlist in performance mode, and switching to the next sing (by using a respective configured touch zone, or by touching the "next song" bar), the display jumps to the next song, but nit with the 1st page aligned to top! My big problem with this behavior: if I now start automatic scrolling, the settings of the last song will be used for scrolling. My only workaround now is to shift the first page up to the top, to get the correct autoscroll settings.

All in all it seems to me, that the   "Align first page to top" feature and/or auto-scroll setting doesn't work correctly, in setlist mode.  Any ideas, how to solve this?

Thank you for any help ...
Well I don't think it's incorrect to have the page not aligned to the top when you skip to a different song in a setlist other than the first. Only the first page of the setlist will be aligned to the top. This is how it's designed to work. If you want to change this, you have to go to Settings->Library Settings, uncheck "Always Load Whole Setlist" and enable "Automatically Load Next Song". Now each song will be loaded in isolation with the first page aligned to the top, but you will lose out on some setlist functionality. 

The fact that the previous song's scroll settings are being used seems incorrect though. That part I'll have to investigate, as it should be using whichever page is current (you can see the current page in the song overlay).

Mike
(03-24-2024, 03:18 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: Well I don't think it's incorrect to have the page not aligned to the top when you skip to a different song in a setlist other than the first. Only the first page of the setlist will be aligned to the top. This is how it's designed to work. If you want to change this, you have to go to Settings->Library Settings, uncheck "Always Load Whole Setlist" and enable "Automatically Load Next Song". Now each song will be loaded in isolation with the first page aligned to the top, but you will lose out on some setlist functionality. 

The fact that the previous song's scroll settings are being used seems incorrect though. That part I'll have to investigate, as it should be using whichever page is current (you can see the current page in the song overlay).

Mike

Thank you for your superfast feedback. Understood, alignment to top of other than 1st song is not intended. Ok from my viewpoint, if autoscroll parameters are correctly set for the next song. Looking forward to hear about your results...
Just so I have all the necessary information, is this on Android, Windows or iOS?

Thanks,
Mike
(03-24-2024, 05:29 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: Just so I have all the necessary information, is this on Android, Windows or iOS?

Thanks,
Mike

Honor Pad 8 running Android 12
I'm definitely going to need exported settings and an exported setlist, because I can't reproduced this on my Android device. Please go to Settings->Backup and Restore->Export Settings, and long press your setlist on the setlists tab, tap Share->Export songs and files, and send both the .mcf and .msf to mike@zubersoft.com.

Thanks,
Mike
I sent the files now, and also tried to reproduce the problem. I found, that if I touch the 1st song in the setlist, and then jump to the next song(s) straight forward, all is fine. But if I jump e.g. to the 4th song, then back to the 3rd, it will not be shown aligned to the top. And in this situation, if I start autoscrolling, the (incorrect) delay of the 2nd song will be shown on the screen. But if I edit autoscroll parameters, the (correct) values of the 3rd song are displayed.
Thank you for the file. This is an incredibly complex issue. You are using very small pages that are, in some cases, only around 10-15% of the screen height. Your combination of settings creates scenarios where it's difficult for MobileSheets to know exactly what settings it should be using. While it seems obvious from a user perspective that if you skip back to song 3 (Our God), that the scroll settings should be used for that song, it is not that simple. The way the automatic scrolling works, if you use the vertical scrolling display mode, it always uses the song shown at the top of the screen. This is the correct behavior, because that song needs to be scrolled off the screen with "Our God" being aligned to the top before "Our God" is scrolled. Otherwise major issues can happen in various scenarios with very small pages (like the ones you are using). The current behavior was the result of many iterations with users to find a solution that works across different scenarios. With the bottom page alignment, skipping between songs is going to bottom align those songs, because you are forcing that song into view, which resets the layout, so it forces the page to be bottom aligned. 

So this is not something I can easily address without creating problems in other scenarios. I'm not going to touch the automatic scrolling behavior, because users have fine tuned it with their settings and I don't want to create any problems with that. So you have a few options to solve this:

1) Use top page alignment
2) Uncheck Settings->Library Settings->Always Load Whole Setlist so that each song is loaded in isolation, and tap the first song in the setlist to load just that one. The "Go to Next Song" and "Go to previous song" actions will still work.  If you enable Settings->Library Settings->Automatically Load Next Song, then the next up song bar will also work even with each song loaded in isolation. This approach also is good because the first page of each song will be top aligned, and it sounds like that's what you want.

I'm thinking option #2 will be best for you.

Mike
Sorry, I wasn't aware that small pages could cause such problems. Thank you for your explanation and the two workaround options. Option #1 was my 1st idea, but is not so practical, if it comes to the end of the song, especially if the last page is very small. But option #2 seems to work fine for me (after a quick test), and I can live with it. In case of additional problems/question I'll come back to you.