• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BUG: annotation mode boxes can't be moved all the way to bottom of screen
When I'm in annotation mode with one or more floating boxes displayed (e.g. the pen / highlight / stamp settings or nudge box), I can move them around by dragging on the icon with four arrows at the top left of the box.  However, I can't move them below a certain height on the screen - probably around 90% from the top.  This means they tend to get in the way of the music.
Mike has previously stated that he is doing a complete rewrite of the annotation code i.e. he is unlikely to want to change this at the moment.

Have you tried using the scroll/zoom icon (between the arrow and the pencil icons) ?

Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
(02-24-2020, 06:09 AM)Geoff Bacon Wrote: Mike has previously stated that he is doing a complete rewrite of the annotation code i.e. he is unlikely to want to change this at the moment.

Ah OK, thanks. That's potentially good news as I think the annotation code has historically been one of MSP's weaker areas (although it's already decent). Any chance of a pointer to where he mentioned that?

(02-24-2020, 06:09 AM)Geoff Bacon Wrote: Have you tried using the scroll/zoom icon (between the arrow and the pencil icons) ?

Yes. In fact if memory serves correctly, I think it was a conversation I initiated on this forum several years ago which led to Mike implementing the two-finger tap shortcut for toggling this pan mode. That is only a workaround for the issue described above, though. Another workaround is simply to move the boxes elsewhere. Ideally I'd not need either workaround and could keep them right at the bottom of the screen where they will rarely get in the way, thanks to the aspect ratio of my Pixelbook being taller (i.e. thinner) than A4.
It's been mentioned in various posts over the forums (I could link to about 10 various posts but they all state similar information). There isn't a simple write-up describing everything I'm changing, but the summary is that I'm getting rid of the separate editor screen, you'll be able to annotate directly on the main display, and I'm switching to faster approaches to accessing tools (a radial menu is being added similar to OneNote and Drawboard). You'll be able to set up favorite tool settings, quickly switch between them, the previous stamp implementation has been replaced with font-based stamps which scale properly to any size, you can add your own custom stamps, and there are some new dedicated drawing tools (arrows, crescendo/decrescendo, piano staff, guitar tab, chord diagrams). I'm also adding an option so that the annotation editing mode will be activated automatically if a smart stylus either hovers above the screen or touches the screen. There will also be an option to automatically exit the annotations editor after no smart stylus input is received for a configured amount of time (so you can pick up the stylus, annotate, put it down, and the app is back to viewing mode).  The changes are pretty massive so I can't cover it all here. When the beta test is ready, I'm going to write up details on the changes. I'm going to start with beta-testing on Android, and Windows 10 will come later. 

Mike
Oh wow, that all sounds fantastic!  Yeah, the separate editor screen does kind of drive me nuts (presumably you'd keep performance mode for protection against accidental editing while performing?), as does having to reach to the top left to switch tools.  So a radial menu would be a great leap forwards in this respect.  The automatic activation/deactivation would be awesome too.  Can't wait!