• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transposing
I use transpose two ways.

One is to keep the song in the key I play it in. That works well.

Other is to play along with someone else. When I use it this way (usually jamming) Mobilesheets saves the song in this other person's key. Is there a way to not keep the song in this new key? Performance mode maybe? 

Just because I choose to transpose a song to a new key does not mean I want to keep it that way.

regards...
What changes are you proposing be made to help with this? Add an option somewhere to make transposing temporary so that it resets after a different song/setlist is loaded? Should it be a flag that you can set/clear, or should it be handled more like temporary changes to a setlist where you have to tap a save button to actually save the changes? I'll have to see how easy it would be for me to make the transpose only temporarily.

Mike
Would it be possible to add a key value as a setlist and/or collection property. This way I can have a song in the key of G on disk, add it to a setlist or collection and transpose it to D. When I open the song outside of the setlist/collection it will still be in G, while in the setlist/collection it will always be in D. Transposing inside and outside of the setlist/collection will not modify the other settings.
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).
I'm not opposed to it, but that would require some very interesting changes to track the transposed value for each song independently for each setlist and/or collection. It would basically mean several new database tables dedicated just for that purpose and some minor updates to the logic to look up the transpose key tied to the setlist/collection for a given song versus just being able to look up the property of the song directly. The question is, is this approach better, worse, or just different than the song versioning changes that I already plan on making? If you can set up multiple versions of your song, each one transposed to a different key, and just specify for a given setlist or collection which version/key of the song to load, would that be an acceptable solution? It's a little bit more of a heavyweight solution as each version of a song will essentially contain a copy of everything related to the song, so if you'd prefer that I modify the transpose logic to be independently set for each setlist or collection, I can look into that. The only thing I don't know if I like, is that, if a user has a song in multiple setlists/collections, and they transpose the song after loading it on the Songs tab, they would then have to go into each collection/setlist and transpose it manually to get it to match (unless I add additional options to control updating of all setlists/collections tied to the song, making the UI a little more complicated and confusing). One way to get around that is for each setlist/collection to just use the default transpose value unless the user overrides it for that collection/setlist, and then I have to track that and figure out when I should or should not be mirroring the song's default transpose key, but that just starts making things more complicated and I'd have to have a way to reset the setlist/collection transpose value back to the default if the user wanted to clear an override. At least with the song versioning approach, if you change the transpose value for a given version of a song, you know that it will be updated in every setlist/collection that is set to use that version, so it's a little more intuitive (I think).

I welcome feedback and thoughts on all this.

Thanks,
Mike
Quote:The question is, is this approach better, worse, or just different than the song versioning changes that I already plan on making?

My initial thought was that song versions would provide a means to deal with this. I need some play time with song versions to be sure. AFAIC it is ok to postpose this issue until song versions are ready for release.
Johan
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
I use transpose to have a song in more than one key sometimes permanently: I copy the song in collection "line-up A", transpose the copy, change the collection of the copy to "line-up B", change the key in the song editor to the new key and keep both copies (that refer to the same CordPro file).

The other use case is the one that you mentioned here, changing the key during a jam temporarily. The issue that the transposing is saved, and resetting it later to the intended key can easily be forgotten has been discussed before, e.g. here:
https://zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/forum...=transpose

A workaround exists already: just create a collection "Temporarily Transposed" and add the songs. Then make a copy of the song and add the copy to that collection before transposing it. (edited)
A shortcut to do that without having to open the song editor is discussed here:
https://zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/forum...2#pid28782
first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de

I tried your workaround, but when I transpose in collection "Temporarily Transposed" is gets transposed in other collections as well.

This is in line with Mike remark #4.
Johan
Sorry, my fault. It should say "make a copy and add the copy to 'Temporarily Transposed'" as I do it with different transpositions for different line-ups. I'll edit my previous post.
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11

Your proposal of different transpositions per Collection or setlist would not be the best solution for me. I have a "Sessions" collection that contains several instances of the same song in different keys.

(04-03-2020, 01:45 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: What changes are you proposing be made to help with this? Add an option somewhere to make transposing temporary so that it resets after a different song/setlist is loaded? Should it be a flag that you can set/clear, or should it be handled more like temporary changes to a setlist where you have to tap a save button to actually save the changes? I'll have to see how easy it would be for me to make the transpose only temporarily.

Mike
I think that an alert box to confirm saving the transposition would work great for me. (like save changes Yes/No)