• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
double-quotes stripped in CSV import
I have many Composers in my database that I list with their formal names, but with their nicknames in quotes: e.g., James "Jimmy" Van Heusen. The quote marks are being stripped when I do a CSV import, which makes the name look silly. Thanks.
The reason double quotes are being stripped is they are actually used a way to get around the column delimiter if needed. For example, if you wanted to be able to have a semi-colon in the name of something, for whatever reason, you could do so by putting double quotes around the entire entry. So I'm not sure how to support both that and your desire to have double quotes show up in the name. I suppose either I could switch this to single quotes or you could switch your use to single quotes. I'm fine with switching it to single quotes on my end, but I want to ensure that no other users are going to be negatively impacted by this before I make the change. 

Thanks,
Mike
(04-04-2020, 08:15 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: The reason double quotes are being stripped is they are actually used a way to get around the column delimiter if needed. For example, if you wanted to be able to have a semi-colon in the name of something, for whatever reason, you could do so by putting double quotes around the entire entry. So I'm not sure how to support both that and your desire to have double quotes show up in the name. I suppose either I could switch this to single quotes or you could switch your use to single quotes. I'm fine with switching it to single quotes on my end, but I want to ensure that no other users are going to be negatively impacted by this before I make the change. 

Thanks,
Mike
I understand, but how about simply stripping the quotes IF AND ONLY IF the prohibited character is found between them--the semi-colon in your example--thus ensuring that only quotes that are performing that exceptional function will be stripped. The same logic would apply to users who use single quotes for their own purposes--if they're using them to Escape the standard delimiter, etc., you'll know it because you'll find it in the string. Then and only then should the single or double quotes be stripped.

Otherwise, I have a substantial amount of editing of 1000s of entries in my existing database before I can import them. I'm already spending hours editing the stripped ones from 100s of songs already imported.
The other option is that I only strip the quotes if they appear at the very start of the value and the end - I never strip quotes in the middle of an entry. I think this would work just fine and supports both ways of operating. Let me know if you disagree.
(04-04-2020, 09:22 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: The other option is that I only strip the quotes if they appear at the very start of the value and the end - I never strip quotes in the middle of an entry. I think this would work just fine and supports both ways of operating. Let me know if you disagree.
Yes, I can't think of any reason I'd have a quote (single or double) at the very end or very beginning of any entry. I only use them within names of people or within names of songs (e.g., Hair (from "Hair") or James "Jimmy" Van Heusen). Excellent solution! How soon? LOL
I can set you up with an early release build that has this fix in it. I think that's the best way to go. I'll send you an email with information once I've finished the build.

Mike
(04-04-2020, 09:55 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: I can set you up with an early release build that has this fix in it. I think that's the best way to go. I'll send you an email with information once I've finished the build.

Mike
Thanks so much!