• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MobileSheets with Roland FP-90
Hi Mike,

here I pressed the left and the right pedal only once full down and up
Unfortunately I can't upload a picture, so I heres' the link.
https://www.bilder-upload.eu/bild-c34a0a...0.jpg.html

I don't know why one pedal (67) sends so much actions and the other one (66) only full up and full down.

Thanks,

Heiko
Hello Heiko,

It looks to me like the left pedal supports a variable range (so different values are sent depending upon how far down the pedal is pressed) whereas the right pedal supports just down or not down. So I would recommend setting up the following MIDI actions (and to set up a MIDI action, go to Settings->MIDI Settings->MIDI Actions):

1) Add a new MIDI action with an action to "Go to previous page" and then add a MIDI command and set it to Control Change with values 67 and 127.
2) Add another MIDI action with an actino to "Go to next page" and then add a MIDI command and set it to Control Change with values 66 and 127.

Now when you press the left pedal fully down, it will go to the previous page. When you press the right pedal, it will go to the next page. You can assign whatever actions you want - just wanted to provide an example. Let me know if this works for you.

Mike
Hi Mike,

when I add a MIDI command, what further things must be done?
Label:?
Command Type:?
Imput Port: FP-90
Command (Bank Select) 66   127    Program Change ?
MSB yes/no
LSB yes/no
Value (patch) yes/no
?

What I tried so far without success:
Label: Turn
Command Type: Patch Select
Imput Port FP-90
Bank select 66     127    Program Change 0
MSB yes
LSB yes
Value (Patch) yes.

Heiko
When you go to Settings->MIDI Settings->MIDI Actions, you tap "+" and it brings up the "New MIDI Action", tap "+" and then configure a Control Change (Command Type: Control Change) with Number 66 and Value 127. You don't have to enter any other values. Then assign the action "Go to Previous Page" to that action, and tap OK. Now set up the other control change message for the other pedal.

Mike
Wow thanks, perfect.
That works fine.
Thanks a lot.
Heiko
Hi Mike,

I pull up this topic, because I face(d) similar problems. I own a Roland FP-60 (very similar to the FP-90). While I'm currently looking for the best tool to digitze and archive all my sheets, I've come to MobileSheets(free). I'm currently testing (and probably going to buy). Also as a help for other people trying to connect and finding this thread over Google (like me).

Trying to use MobileSheets on an Samsung Tab A10 Android device and the Roland FP-60, I've figured out two ways to connect both and have MobileSheets recieving MIDI commands.

- Connecting via USB - using an OTG Adapter - works rather smooth. Connect the Android - make sure, that no device is connected over bluetooth to the Roland at the same time - and select USB within the settings. Trying to configure MIDI actions, I see a lot of commands arriving, when pressing keys or pedals. MobileSheets re-connect automatically, when I plug in the cable again.
Disadvantage: Using an OTG Adapter is not providing power to the tablet. So it is only a matter of time until the battery is empty.

- Connecting via Bluetooth is a little bit more tricky. It is not working with MS, when the android is already connected via bluetooth to the FP-60, before MobileSheets startet. But it seems to be a general problem with Android (at least with this device). So it works 90% of the time, when I close all software on the android, unpouble any exiting connection to the FP-60. Then start MobileSheets, go into MIDI settings and select bluetooth. Even when not coupled, MobileSheets automatically detect the Roland and couples it.
Then I can see MobileSheets is receiving MIDI commands to which I can assign actions...
To be honest, this is a bit annoying, while requiring a lot of clicks. While it seems to be more of an android problem there would be some features (yes, this is a feature request) really simplifying this. When I could see directly on the start page the connected bluetooth device (when there is any) with ideally a green light, when MIDI commands are recieved. So I could just look if it's working automatically - after starting MobileSheets - or if I need to decouple the bluetooth device first in Android settings. I assume others face the same problem. Maybe there are also better solutions *sigh*

But even more annoying, to get the 'go to next page function' running is, that the roland is sending a lot of MIDI commands when pressing the middle pedal. Typical:
66, 127
66, 127
66, 127
66, 127
66, 0
66, 0
66, 0

but it can differ. So, when I configure just 66,127 as trigger for the page action, it always flips several pages instantly. If I configure 66, 127 followed by 66,0 (as hinted by you) it works better, but very often I have to tip the pedal twice or also accidentially two pages are flipped. In this way it is not usable *sigh*
Maybe you can give me another hint about what to do? Ideally would be a configuration with a waiting time, before an action is triggered again. So that I can configure for example an action with 66,127 and that after a page flip for about 2 seconds no second page flip can be done.

I really hope, you can help me with this problem. I really would like to have it solved, before finally deciding for MobileSheets to store all of my 1000 sheets...
Dodgy 

Thanks,
Kai
Another user also asked for feedback when data is actively being transmitted or received over MIDI, so at some point I'll try to figure out where to add this (probably some small indicators at the bottom left corner, something like that). 

I can modify the code to enforce the pedal debounce for MIDI page turns as well if users would like this. It will essentially just ignore duplicate page turn requests through MIDI if they happen too quickly. I don't really want to have to add a separate debounce setting for page turns through MIDI, but if this is too unintuitive, I can rework the UI for MIDI actions to have a debounce dropdown either at the top or bottom of the screen.

Mike
Quote:I can modify the code to enforce the pedal debounce for MIDI page turns as well if users would like this. It will essentially just ignore duplicate page turn requests through MIDI if they happen too quickly.

This probably would be perfect. It is quite uncommon that people want to flip several pages within less than e.g. 1 second.

Quote:Another user also asked for feedback when data is actively being transmitted or received over MIDI, so at some point I'll try to figure out where to add this (probably some small indicators at the bottom left corner, something like that).
Sounds great! Ideally in combination with an indicator about the name of the connected device Wink

Anyway. Great work with this software. It seems to become standard for storing and managing sheets. I'll probably go for the Android and Windows version.

cheers,
Kai
Hi Mike,

I've got again the same problem, I don't get any MIDI signals from my Roland FP-90 to my Samsung Tablet.
Since a few weeks I can't do any page turns and now i wanted to solve the problem.
So i decided to delete all previous settings and startet from new.
The Tablet is connected to the Roland FP-90, i configured the MIDI Connections as said above with the result, that both ports show "FP-90[0] (Connected)"
Once I go to Midi actions, click the "+" and select the icon down in the row to show the incoming MIDI commands, I don't see anything when i press my pedal.
Can you please help me again?
Regards
Heiko
Hello Heiko,

That seems to imply the keyboard is no longer passing MIDI messages to MobileSheets when the pedal is pressed. Are there any settings on the keyboard for passthrough MIDI events or something of that nature? Are you getting MIDI events from the keyboard itself if you just press a key? That's really important to know, because we need to identify if it's just a problem with the pedal messages or if there isn't any MIDI communication occurring.

Mike
Hi Mike,
I tested several options of sending a midi act to mobile sheets. Such as turn page and midi, page turn only etc. Without success.
I don't get any Mido responses of no key or pedal.
I disconnected and connected often without success.
Midi library is Google and connection type Bluetooth midi transmit Chanel is on both on piano and on mobile sheets.
Hope you can help me.
Heiko
Heiko,

Can you please try connecting your keyboard to your tablet over USB to see if that works? I would recommend still using the Google MIDI library but switch the connection type to USB. We will then be able to confirm whether this is just a bluetooth connectivity issue versus a general MIDI issue.

Thanks,
Mike
Hi Mike,
I tried with USB connection without success.  I don't get any midi signals.
Is it possible to send you a protocol or something with my settings to see where the mistake is?
Just let me know what you need and I will send the settings.
Heiko
Heiko,

That's definitely not a good sign if you can't receive any MIDI messages over USB. Can you please confirm that, with the Google MIDI library, you are at least seeing the keyboard show up and you can tap the input and output ports to connect to it over USB? If so, bring up the MIDI listen dialog and press a key on the keyboard. Do you see MIDI messages show up for that? I'm not sure if you've only been testing the pedal but I want to confirm whether any MIDI messages are flowing between the keyboard and MobileSheets. Also, if you haven't done so yet, please test all three MIDI libraries over USB. If none of this works, then I have to assume something has changed with the keyboard itself. Have you changed any of the MIDI settings on the keyboard? What MIDI channel is the keyboard transmitting on? Is it receiving on all channels or only one channel? What MIDI channels have you configured in MobileSheets?

Mike