• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cloud Services
Hello, i have been using MobileSheets for a few months now and I save all my sheet music on Onedrive. MobileSheets does offer me to load Music from Onedrive, but it saves a copy to some other folder. I have two questions:
1) Why does it do that? 
2) Can we have "true" cloud support in the future so that it does not copy my files ? I am looking forward to something, where I can update my sheet music PDFs on my Desktop PC, synchronize them to Onedrive an MobileSheets automatically synchronizes the Library. I still like the Companion App tough.

Kindest Regards,
Florian!
(06-16-2020, 07:59 PM)floriansteinkellner Wrote: Hello, i have been using MobileSheets for a few months now and I save all my sheet music on Onedrive. MobileSheets does offer me to load Music from Onedrive, but it saves a copy to some other folder. I have two questions:
1) Why does it do that? 
2) Can we have "true" cloud support in the future so that it does not copy my files ? I am looking forward to something, where I can update my sheet music PDFs on my Desktop PC, synchronize them to Onedrive an MobileSheets automatically synchronizes the Library. I still like the Companion App tough.

Kindest Regards,
Florian!

1) so one can access sheets/scores with no connection to the internet.
2) any internet connection and synchronisation will significantly reduce battery life. With airplane mode on and accessing local files/pdfs I can perform all day long with no need to charge my tablet.
Hope it will stay like that.
I have no plans for allowing songs to be linked to files in the cloud. This creates the potential for a significant number of error scenarios that I would have to handle and as otnt mentioned, it both eliminates the possibility of running the app offline and uses more battery power. I do support a library sychronization feature that lets you synchronize your library to the cloud, but this is a lot more complex than a simple file sync. MobileSheets stores a lot of information in the database that is separate from the files. Unless I went with an implementation where everything is file-based (i.e. there would be a data file per song in the storage location for all the metdata and such) then a simple file sync would not be sufficient. A database is a lot faster and more efficient than having to deal with a separate file for every song in the library. Having said that, the database itself is a file (it's a SQLite database), so you just have to make sure to sync mobilesheets.db under the default storage location. The location of this file can't be changed due to restrictions with SQLite and file permissions for UWP applications.

Mike
(06-17-2020, 06:42 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: I have no plans for allowing songs to be linked to files in the cloud. This creates the potential for a significant number of error scenarios that I would have to handle and as otnt mentioned, it both eliminates the possibility of running the app offline and uses more battery power. I do support a library sychronization feature that lets you synchronize your library to the cloud, but this is a lot more complex than a simple file sync. MobileSheets stores a lot of information in the database that is separate from the files. Unless I went with an implementation where everything is file-based (i.e. there would be a data file per song in the storage location for all the metdata and such) then a simple file sync would not be sufficient. A database is a lot faster and more efficient than having to deal with a separate file for every song in the library. Having said that, the database itself is a file (it's a SQLite database), so you just have to make sure to sync mobilesheets.db under the default storage location. The location of this file can't be changed due to restrictions with SQLite and file permissions for UWP applications.

Mike
Ah, that makes sense. Thank you !