• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Oddity on alphabet search feature
#1
On the tune list page, tapping a letter in the alphabet at the side of the screen brings up a subordinate list of second letters to aid in a search, with further taps to show subsequent letters.  A very useful facility.   However, there’s a minor glitch - not a huge problem in the cosmic scheme of things, but an anomaly . . . 

If the second letter in the first item in the relevant section of the library is accented (such as Å or Ö, as occurs in some Swedish titles) then a similar non-accented letter (A or O) is not shown at all.  This limits the search function.  Example: Under ‘D’ in my library, the first title starts with ‘Då’.  On next tap, the subordinate list offers ‘Å’ but not ‘A’ – the second letter of the next 50 titles, so the tap-based search stops there.

This only seems to be an issue with subordinate (second-tap) alphabet lists.  The primary alphabet includes only conventional (English) letters, and the list of titles ignores accented letters in showing them in conventional alphabetical order: thus ‘Gander’ is followed by ‘Gärdebylåten’ and ‘Garden’.  Would it be simplest if the subordinate lists did the same?   Linguistically incorrect, perhaps, but a simple expedient?  It obviously wouldn’t be sensible to offer every possible accented letter in all languages using Roman script, especially where the originating language puts them in a different order.
Reply
#2
Thank you for reporting this. I'll look into it and see what I can do to fix it. I'll have to generate a list of songs with various titles to test this (unless you have a setlist or library backup you can share with me that demonstrates the problem).

Mike
Reply
#3
Thanks, Mike.  I could send you a copy of my library backup but can't see how to add it as an attachment to this reply.  Could you advise?   Alternatively, the material is listed at: http://www.rudemex.co.uk/library.html but not as .msb files.
Reply
#4
Actually, disregard the link to the website in the last posting:  I realise we've removed accents where they interfere with conventional English alphabetical order.  But if you could let me know how to share  the .msb backup . . . .
Reply
#5
If you can share it through Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive or another cloud sharing service and email a link to the shared file to mike@zubersoft.com, I would greatly appreciate it. That will make the testing much easier.

Thanks,
Mike
Reply
#6
(07-17-2020, 03:03 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: If you can share it through Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive or another cloud sharing service and email a link to the shared file to mike@zubersoft.com, I would greatly appreciate it. That will make the testing much easier.

Thanks,
Mike

Mike,
Did I ever send you a sample .msb database so you could look into this issue of incorporating accented letters in a conventional alphabetical-order search?  I worry that it may have slipped my mind.  if so, was it possible to devise an adjustment?
Barry
Reply
#7
You did share a .msb file with me, but I dropped the ball on investigating this issue. I'll work on it for the next update and get back to you if I run into any issues.

Thanks,
Mike
Reply
#8
I've got a fix in place for this now. Thanks for the library backup file. The fix will be included with version 3.1.1.

Mike
Reply
#9
Hi Mike,

Don't want to be a pain, but I'm now on MSP 3.1.6.and still finding oddities with the alphabetical search routine.  Example: in the Songs list, I tap on F in the primary alphabet and it brings up A and Ä as possible next letters, but then stops and doesn't offer any other options for a second letter.   If  A or Ä are in fact the second letter, then I can continue from there for subsequent letters, but there is no immediate choice of FE . . / FI . . .  , etc.   It seems that the system recognises accented characters but doesn't see them as part of an alphabetical sequence, so closes down.  

Its not the worst of problems, as it's still possible to simply scroll by swiping the list of titles, but it does restrict a very convenient function.  If useful, I could Dropbox you a copy of my library backup so you could check it out, as before (if you don't still have the previous one).  I wonder if it's possible to simply get the system to treat accented letters in Roman script as if they were un-accented - as in an English alphabet?
Reply
#10
I'll take a look at this and get back to you. If you go to Settings->Library Settings and enable "Normalize Characters" and "Use Language Sorting Rules" (which are both enabled by default), then the system would ignore all the accented letters. I'm not sure if that is exactly what you are asking for. I should be able to get this fixed as long as I can reproduce the problem though.

Mike
Reply
#11
Thanks Mike: the problem is entirely sorted with those adjustments to settings (which I hadn't spotted).  All letters behave as if they were in an English alphabet.
Reply
#12
I have fixed the issue for v3.1.7, so you can pick whichever settings you like best after that.

Mike
Reply


Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon  


Users browsing this thread:
1 Guest(s)


  Theme © 2014 iAndrew  
Powered By MyBB, © 2002-2021 MyBB Group.