• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which version to choose?
Ok, I have been trialling the Windows 10 version and learning how to use it. I see there are different versions for Windows 10 and Android, also a companion app.

I would like some info and advice on which to go for please. I'm an amateur musician playing mostly for my own pleasure at home. I occasionally perform at sessions in care homes etc. which would be easier with a tablet.

I currently use my windows 10 PC at home and have an Android tablet.

One option seems to be to have the pro version on the Android tablet and the companion app on the W10 laptop. I'm not clear whether it's possible to have the app on the laptop and the companion app on the tablet.

Given the limited info I have given. can anyone provide some advice please Undecided
Currently there 2 versions of MSP. one for Android, one for Windows. The 2 apps can 'talk' to each other, eg., ttrade files or share/trade backups. The Companion app [the Windows component is for interactions [uploading/downloading] between your laptop and your Android device. It is not needed in a Windows only environment.
I have both versions, but use my Android version almost all the time, essentially exactly as you wish to do. I got the 2in1 because my old computer failed and my tablet is pretty old, kind of a 2 birds at once decision.
Dell Latitude 13.5" 2-in-1 Ubuntu/Win 11
Samsung Note Pro SM-P900 12.2 Android 5.0.2
Samsung S7+, Android 12
(10-03-2020, 05:33 AM)Skip Wrote: Currently there 2 versions of MSP. one for Android, one for Windows. The 2 apps can 'talk' to each other, eg., ttrade files  or share/trade backups. The Companion app [the Windows component is for interactions [uploading/downloading] between your laptop and  your Android device. It is not needed in a Windows only environment.
I have both versions, but use my Android version almost all the time, essentially exactly as you wish to do. I got the 2in1 because my old computer failed and my tablet is pretty old, kind of a 2 birds at once decision.
Thanks for your comments, very helpful. I'll continue checking out the Windows version. If I need to buy two versions, the price point brings into play a few other options which I'll have a look at as well.
You're welcome.
There is no 'need' to have both versions, i just wanted the Windows version for if/when my tablet broke I could use the laptop. I make a 'master' backup on my tablet and keep 2 copies, 1 on the tablet and 1 on the laptop [which I also install on the Windows version of MSP].
Dell Latitude 13.5" 2-in-1 Ubuntu/Win 11
Samsung Note Pro SM-P900 12.2 Android 5.0.2
Samsung S7+, Android 12
Thanks for your reply.

I would prefer to do all the file management activity on my laptop and just transfer the 'performance' files to the tablet. That seems to be the opposite of the way it is designed.

I really like a lot of the features so I'll continue evaluating and make my mind up at the end of the trial. It may still be worth buying both versions.

Thanks again.
I don't agree that it "seems to be the opposite of the way it is designed." ; Mike is just providing us with flexibility in how we use MSP.

Personally, I only have MSP on my Android tablet and I perform all file creation/editing on my Win10 desktop. I only transfer copies of the files to the tablet once I am happy that they are as I want . Should the need arise, I rework the original file on the desktop, convert to pdf and replace the "improved/corrected" file onto the tablet. I use the companion to transfer the files to the desktop i.e. I'm not using my own directory structures on the tablet.
As well as keeping the original files on the desktop, I use the companion to backup the tablet database and files onto the desktop.

I find the companion works well for me but, should you need them, Mike has also provided several other ways of transferring files to the tablet.

I typically use the tablet when I want to practice completed songs. Whilst I could use the original desktop file, using the tablet gives me confidence that it will  do what I want at a live performance (remember them?).

Some users have windows laptops/tablets so  it is obvious which version to get. As you have an Android tablet, I suggest you get that version as you don't need the windows version at this point (you can always buy it later should you decide you need/want it). In future years, you might also want to buy the Mac version (highly unlikely in my case).

Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6