• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mobile Sheets Pro Companion Marked as Dangerous by McAfee
I just tried to download the Companion app to my new Win 10 PC.

The download was blocked by McAfee virus scanner and was flagged as dangerous.

I have attached a JPG with the message that popped up.

Has anyone else had this experience?

I know I can accept the risk... but was curious why it was flagged.

Michael

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Anti-virus programs often have false positives. I'm not sure what it doesn't like about the companion app. Perhaps some of the code produced by the third party libraries I'm using triggers some detection in their scanning. I also package the application using InstallShield, so it's possible something about the installer itself is triggering a flag.

Mike
Also, if you have W10, why aren't you running the native MSP app on it, AFAICS there's no advantage to it.
(11-13-2020, 09:08 PM)BRX Wrote: Also, if you have W10, why aren't you running the native MSP app on it, AFAICS there's no advantage to it.

Maybe it's a desktop Wink
Graeme

1: Samsung 12.2" SM-P900: Android 5.0.2 
2: eSTAR GRAND HD Quad-Core 4G 10.2": Android 5.1 
3: Home-built BT pedal

Some of my music here
So? I'm using W10 MSP on 3 desktops (with my own syncing method).
(11-15-2020, 04:02 AM)BRX Wrote: So? I'm using W10 MSP on 3 desktops (with my own syncing method).

It was just one reason why I thought he could using a tablet - a desktop wouldn't be very practical for gigging.

I have a Windows laptop, but use tablets when performing, they are so much more convenient (and not loaded with a ton of stuff I would never need on a gig).
Graeme

Some of my music here
To bring this thread back to the topic, I just fired up Companion to do a backup and got a slightly different Defender message from the OP (see attachment).

Now, this is an existing Companion - ever since it was last updated - and I have never seen this before.  My assumption is that it is a Win10 update that has suddenly caused to it to go in a spin.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Graeme

Some of my music here
That's just Windows Firewall doing it's thing - you just need to allow that for whatever your network is set for (usually private). That will ensure the packets aren't blocked.

Mike
(11-15-2020, 06:46 PM)Zubersoft Wrote: That's just Windows Firewall doing it's thing - you just need to allow that for whatever your network is set for (usually private). That will ensure the packets aren't blocked.

Mike

The interesting point is that I'd never seen this before and other than Win10 doing its usual round of updates, I couldn't think why this should suddenly happen.
Graeme

Some of my music here