• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Android 5 vs Android 9 - text files different
After a screen glitch last week made me think my tablet had failed and reminded me how much I rely on it I stopped looking for a different tablet and just bought another hanspree titan 3 13.3" tablet - figured it would be easiest.

It arrived, powered it on, restored my settings and apps and pulled in the mobilesheets backup.

Most of it is fine except for text files..

Same size display font in Mobilesheets and I get four lines less on the new tablet..

The plan was to keep the old tablet as a backup but if the display doesn't line up then I have problems !!!

The menus in mobilesheets are pretty much the same - when I view a setlist in potrait mode I can see one more song in the list per page on the new tablet than the old tablet (new tablet = 31 songs, old tablet 30 songs)

Both tablets have the same model number  but the old tablet is a droid 5 (and won't update) and the new tablet is droid 9 

Any ideas ?

Thanks !!
I'm guessing the two devices have different resolutions on the screens (or at the very least, different densities, which is the pixels per square inch). One thing you can check to see is if your device supports these settings: https://support.google.com/accessibility...6972?hl=en

You could lower the display scaling so that things are shrunk down a little bit.

Mike
IIRC Andoid switched the system font from the Roboto fonts to Google Sans somewhere around Android 6, and this font has slightly different spacings.
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).
(12-15-2020, 06:14 AM)Mr_Cat Wrote: The menus in mobilesheets are pretty much the same - when I view a setlist in potrait mode I can see one more song in the list per page on the new tablet than the old tablet (new tablet = 31 songs, old tablet 30 songs)

Any ideas ?

Why don't you adjust font sizes to your liking. Go to:
settings - library settings - library text size

Similar for text files:
Settings - text file settings - default display settings
I
(12-16-2020, 04:32 AM)otnt Wrote:
(12-15-2020, 06:14 AM)Mr_Cat Wrote: The menus in mobilesheets are pretty much the same - when I view a setlist in potrait mode I can see one more song in the list per page on the new tablet than the old tablet (new tablet = 31 songs, old tablet 30 songs)

Any ideas ?

Similar for text files:

I was hoping that the same (albeit newer)tablet with the same settings would display the same file the same way so when i restore a backup onto my older tablet it would just work

Imagine my new tablet being stolen off my music stand 10 mins before a show. I pick the old tablet up, hit restore and any tabs I have need reformatting...
I think i was just being a bit naieve...
That would be true with PDFs or images, as the files as scaled to fit the screen, but due to the dynamic nature of text and chord pro files, the content is generated on the spot based on the screen properties and the application settings. Another user has requested the ability to specify an exact page size for each text/chord pro page in a song, so that you could force the rendered area to at least be the same on each device (and do things like specify one extremely tall page so there are no page breaks). I'm going to look into making those changes, which might help with this issue. Unfortunately, if I allow the width of the page to be specified, that could cause the text to go off the screen on the device, so I'm not sure this is really a perfect solution to fix this issue. The only other possible solution that comes to mind if is I add an option to change the implementation so that a fixed size page is generated and that page is rendered as an image which is then scaled to fit the screen. That would be more like how a PDF is handled. So then you would have an identical page on each device, but the text might appear larger or smaller on one of the devices, depending on its resolution and screen density. This is a less flexible approach and can result in an image on the screen that doesn't match what you might expect, but it might be preferred for situations like this.

Mike
(12-21-2020, 07:00 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: ... so that a fixed size page is generated and that page is rendered as an image which is then scaled to fit the screen. That would be more like how a PDF is handled.

This may be a solution for most, if not all, problems related to chordpro data and differing device sizes. In particular annotation positioning.

Quote:So then you would have an identical page on each device, but the text might appear larger or smaller on one of the devices, depending on its resolution and screen density.

This sounds like desired behaviour to me.

Quote:This is a less flexible approach and can result in an image on the screen that doesn't match what you might expect, but it might be preferred for situations like this.

I assume that you refer to the screen aspect ratio. When switching between devices that have the same aspect ratio I surely expect to see an identical page.

When devices have different ratios there are two options. One option is to scale to the width, so you get the same visual representation of the song but there may be more or less lines on the screen. Annotation positions will not always match.
The other option is to add an 'aspect ratio' setting and truncate width or height to match.
If this ratio setting would be included in the backup, then restoring a backup on a different device would give identical pages.

When exact page display is not crucial it is trivial to adjust the settings for one song and apply this to the setlist or library.
Johan
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
There are other scenarios where this will be a problem though, as I'm basically forcing the chord pro to be rendered to a specific page size (and aspect ratio) regardless of the screen size and dimensions:

1) If your device is in landscape orientation, MobileSheetsPro would no longer make use of the additional width and generate multiple columns. Instead, it would work like PDFs where the page would either be made extremely small (if the page scaling is set to "Fit Screen") or would be enlarged beyond the height of the screen (if using a page scaling like Fit Width)

2) If the aspect ratio of the generated image doesn't match that of the screen, you are going to wind up with wasted space, as the image won't fill the screen. 

3) The quality of the rendered image may be worse due to the scaling. The impact of the scaling (and how noticeable it is) will depend on whether the rendered image is scaled up or scaled down. 

Right now, I'm already using the approach of rendering the text file to an image, but the image is sized to match the dimensions of the screen, and the logic for laying out the pages of the chord pro file (and where to break lines, and such) is based on those dimensions, so no scaling is necessary.  If I want to switch to either using a fixed size, or allowing the user to pick the page size, updates will be needed so that, when the code is trying to figure out what size bitmap to allocate for the image for the page, instead of using the screen dimensions, it grabs the fixed/user size instead. The framework will then figure out how much it needs to scale that size to fit the screen based on the page scaling setting, and the rest of the code should naturally work. This approach won't work for allowing one long continuous page with no breaks - that requires a much larger change to the framework because instead of scaling the image down to fit the screen, I have to tell the framework that instead of using the screen dimensions to lay things out, I want to use a value specified by the user.

Mike
(12-21-2020, 06:26 AM)Mr_Cat Wrote: I
(12-16-2020, 04:32 AM)otnt Wrote:

Any ideas ?

Similar for text files:

I was hoping that the same (albeit newer)tablet with the same settings would display the same file the same way so when i restore a backup onto my older tablet it would just work

I think i was just being a bit naieve...

If tablets would be identical why not but apparently your "same" devices are not identical. They could have different panels, firmware, scaling, pixel count...
You mentioned different Android versions. Why don't you update Android to the same version first? Perhaps you'll find they are not identical.
Next time I would buy two same tablets at the same time.
You might try to go to Android display settings to adjust font size or display size.
The old tablet was my first proper foray into the world of a music tablet, it's on the latest version of Android that it will update to.
Then after four years I bought what I thought was exactly the same tablet. It has exactly the same model number and product code but has a different version of Android on it. Go figure eh??
However after a few hours of trying I've found the issue is with the display of mono spaced fonts so in for I'm just going to pdf tabs as the display "drifts" after a few pages.
I've set the first page up to display 30 lines which is five bass staves and spaces. But after a few pages it drifts and I only get 3 lines in a stave.
I've checked the line count to make sure the staves are in 5 line groups so the drifting must be a system issue.
The easy way round both these problems is to pdf the songs which I have less of than notation.
Not a great solution but it fixes two problems in one go.
Mike, if you format the chordpro with a font size that is proportional to the device width shouldn't this yield an image dat doesn't need scaling?
Johan