• 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
MobileSheets and MobileSheetsPro v3.0.0 Released
Harry777 - There is no way for me to watch the eraser button - Microsoft did not provide a way for developers to monitor that button at all.

Defreeze - I'll be adding an option to automatically select annotations after they are created. So if you prefer to work that way, you'll have that option with the next update. I'm not going to apply this to freeform annotations (i.e. the pen and highlighter tools) though. The reason is that, if I selected the freeform annotation after the user lifts their finger or stylus, then they wouldn't be able to write words or make any drawings that require more than one stroke. It doesn't make sense in my mind to select those annotations after their creation. It's so much faster just to hit undo, update the settings and redraw than it is to edit an existing annotation. Additionally, you should be making use of favorites to quickly switch between tool settings if you aren't currently doing so. I'm not going back to the old model where the settings are applied not only to the next thing you create, but anything you currently have selected, because that is not intuitive and it causes users to accidentally modify existing annotations (I received MANY emails about that). Most people draw something with a red pen, then switch to a black pen, for example, and continue writing. They don't expect that when they switch to a black pen, that what they just drew turns red. 

I have fixes coming for the black page issue. If you load the application and don't annotate, you shouldn't see any black pages. Unfortunately, the bug rears its ugly head if you enter the annotation editor and either turn pages or zoom, or pages are still being loaded in the background while the annotations mode is entered. It took me a while to figure out the root cause for this issue, so I apologize to everyone that this wasn't caught sooner.

Mike
(01-13-2021, 07:20 AM)palosanto Wrote:
(01-13-2021, 06:41 AM)Defreeze Wrote: I have the same 'problem'. Putting in fingerings takes a lot more actions. I was very much used to being able to put in an annotation and then correcting its values like color or line thickness. Now, to do that I first have to select the annotation, which seems unpractical. If there is a way to immediately keep the annotation editable I would be glad.

Is it that critical for you to use text for fingerings if it's just for your internal use?
I use the pen freeform tool and I find it waaaay faster.  Just write the numbers and with pen and eraser that's all you need ...
But, of course, that's just me.  Smile

Yeah, could do that, but the 'problem' remains. I often want to adjust the placement or another aspect of the annotation, when entering it. And I want to be able to read it well. My experiences with writing with the pen in free form are not too positive. Maybe it's the computer, but it doesn't work really well. The line tends to make sudden 'shortcuts' instead of following my writing exactly.
2 HP Pro x2 G612 tablets - often used in linked mode - with pen
Windows 11 pro
Airturn Ped / Custom double foot pedal USB

Before that: Hannspree Titan2 / Acer Switch 3
It's okay Mike, thanks for fixing the black pages issue!!

Pretty foolish of Microsoft to not let you work with the Surface Pens...
Surface Book 3 15"
Donner Page Turning Pedal
(01-13-2021, 08:41 AM)Defreeze Wrote:
Quote:I use the pen freeform tool and I find it waaaay faster.  Just write the numbers and with pen and eraser that's all you need ...
But, of course, that's just me.  Smile
Yeah, could do that, but the 'problem' remains. I often want to adjust the placement or another aspect of the annotation, when entering it. And I want to be able to read it well. My experiences with writing with the pen in free form are not too positive. Maybe it's the computer, but it doesn't work really well. The line tends to make sudden 'shortcuts' instead of following my writing exactly.

I understand, I just find that for writing one number or letter at the time (at least for guitar) I find the freeform faster that's all. I have no issues so far although I have no experience on a MS Surface. We all have our ways, whatever you are more comfortable , of course.
Onyx Boox Max Lumi 13.3 -Android 10
Dell Latittude 5290 2-in1 (Win 11)
Donner BT pedal
Minor note - I have fixed some of the code related to writing while zoomed in, so it should feel much more accurate with the next update. If you switch the smoothing mode for the pen to "None" or "Minor" it will improve the responsiveness without those undesired "shortcuts". If you don't zoom in the maximum amount (leave it at about 80%), it will also work much better. After the next update, these limitations will go away. There are benefits to using the "Moderate" smoothing, as fewer points will need to be stored in the database to render the drawings and the annotations will render faster (if there are a lot on the page, it will help the application run smoother).

If you are using the text annotation tool, don't forget that you can tap an existing text annotation to edit it, then use the text dropdown to change the settings or use the radial menu to change the settings. This will update the text annotation that is currently being edited. So you don't have to select the text annotation to edit it (this only applies to the text tool though).

Mike
Hi to all,

I have been playing around with the new version of MSP and enjoying some of the changes. 

I use MSP mainly to make anotations on classical guitar pieces.  These anotations are mainly fingering (p, i, m, a for right hand and 1,2,3,4,barré for left hand plus the number of the  strings).

With the previous version I used to write the text and move it with the nudge tool.  I agree with  Defreeze. I also find that it takes longer to work this way with the new version. The anotation is never in the right place and I have to change to the nudge tool and displace it. In addition the nudge tool pops up usually in front of the area I want to use.  The previous system was easier because  you had two windows (text plus edition  and nudge tool) that you could move to a convenient place. I also liked the text+ edition feature, in particular when I had to modify a text.

Also, as pointed out, the space between the lines is just too big. When I am notating the fingers of the chords, I cannot write the numbers on a vertical row, as I used to do it. Now I have to introduce individual texts for each row, so that the numbers are in front of the notes. 

As suggested by palosanto I have tried to use the freeform and it works pretty well with the stylus on a Samsung Pro. You just have to zoom in to be precise enough and the handwriting gives the score a customized aspect that is quite nice. I will try to notate one full score with it.  

On the very positive side, I was happy to discover some features. 

One of the best improvements is the possibility to use the anotation on various pages. Previously you had to save and close each page before going to the next one. This is a fantastic improvement.

The selection tool is also much better. You can now select, copy, paste and move various anotations. If you write the fingerings on one section, you can copy them to the same repeated section. This is really very useful.

You have also much more freedom to select the desired color and size of the anotations.

i was very happy also to see that you can import customized stamps. I have just made some tests and created stamps for the guitar strings (numbers 1 to 6 in a circles). In the beginning they were just too big and I had to scale down the svg files (from the initial size to 3%). Now I can put a proper stamp for the guitar string, change the color, size, etc.

I do not see how to upload the files to this site. I have uploaded them to wetransfer and you can download them temporarily:

https://we.tl/t-acMlKa0Ru3

These icons are very small  (1kb/icon) and you can just download similar svg files from the net, for instance here: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Categ...ed_circles 

All in all, I am very happy with the changes. 

Thank you, Mike for the excellent work!
This is something i had thought of as i read about Problems with annotate fingering... maybe the use of stamps instead a written annotation works better? As long you don't release the pen or Finger you could drag the annotation to the place you want... you could put your favorites into the floating command bar...and there is a magnifying Glas poppig up if you use your Finger, i was Not aware of until now... for better positioning
Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 FE Android 12
Samsung Note Pro 12.2 LineageOS 14.1
Huawei Media Pad M3 lite Android 7
(01-14-2021, 01:57 AM)McAroni Wrote: This is something i had thought of as i read about Problems with annotate fingering... maybe the use of stamps instead a written annotation works better? As long you don't release the pen or Finger you could drag the annotation to the place you want... you could put your favorites into the floating command bar...

Can't you already drag to move? Do you mean avoid the select step for freeform annotations?  I don't see how that is possible .... however it is already possible for stamps.  Is this what you mean?
Donner BT pedal
Yes i mean if you use stamps. Maybe custom stamps. Then you could drag as soon as you put the stamp down.
(01-14-2021, 01:38 AM)Javier MM Wrote: As suggested by palosanto I have tried to use the freeform and it works pretty well with the stylus on a Samsung Pro. You just have to zoom in to be precise enough and the handwriting gives the score a customized aspect that is quite nice. I will try to notate one full score with it.  

Use also the highlighter in white or a filled white rectangle shape to mask the existing fingerings that I want to overwrite if necessary. 
In both tools change the size to 1 and choose the rectangle option for the highlighter.
I don't use the highlighter for anything else but if you do use the rectangle shape instead.
Donner BT pedal
I just updated MobileSheetsPro on my Boox Max 3 to version 3.0.2, using the original link I got for the eink version of the apk.

I am now unable to import from OneDrive (I just see the device's storage instead of my OneDrive), whereas it was working fine before. In MobileSheets, when I go to Settings > Storage > Switch OneDrive Account, I get this error message:

com.microsoft.identity.client.exception.MsalClientException: Intent filter for: BrowserTabActivity is missing. Please make sure you have the following activity in your AndroidManifest.xml
(the popup won't let me copy & paste, so I can't put all the XML here)
Onyx Boox Max 3
Starfavor Page Turner Pedal
(01-14-2021, 02:15 AM)McAroni Wrote: Yes i mean if you use stamps. Maybe custom stamps. Then you could drag as soon as you put the stamp down.

Mike, 
Further to McAroni suggestion, for guitar fingerings we use  1, 2, 3 and 4 for the left hand and p, i, m and a for the right hand.
The numbers are already included in the stamps library and also p (piano). We just need you to add a, m and i with the same font as p somewhere in the library. 
One could put them in the favorites palette in the desired size and color ready to apply to the guitar score much faster than with the text tool.
I just tested it and I love it! Lightning fast and accurate. I think that I'll be using it instead of freehand from now on.
EDIT: Mike, what file format do you use to create the stamps?

One thing I noticed though is that the favorites box invoked with the top bar star icon doesn't stay when I choose a favorite but it disappears whereas if I call it from the radial menu it does stay on until I choose to close it.  That should be the preferred behavior imo.
Also both boxes are not in sync:
If I call it from the top bar it has no header to drag it around or x to close it unlike when I call it from the radial menu.  I also if I call it from both places it gets duplicated ...
Both menus should talk better to each other ...
Donner BT pedal
JenniferG - I have a fix in place for that issue. I'll send you a PM with a link to download an early build with a fix in it.
(01-14-2021, 04:19 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: JenniferG - I have a fix in place for that issue. I'll send you a PM with a link to download an early build with a fix in it.

Perfect, thank you!
Onyx Boox Max 3
Starfavor Page Turner Pedal
(01-14-2021, 03:38 AM)palosanto Wrote: One thing I noticed though is that the favorites box invoked with the top bar star icon doesn't stay when I choose a favorite but it disappears whereas if I call it from the radial menu it does stay on until I choose to close it.  That should be the preferred behavior imo.
Also both boxes are not in sync:
If I call it from the top bar it has no header to drag it around or x to close it unlike when I call it from the radial menu.  I also if I call it from both places it gets duplicated ...
Both menus should talk better to each other ...

You could use the command bar too. There are all the favorites and the most important tools. And it stays open.