• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Stroke not drawn when annotating
Hi Mike,

The new 3.0 Annotation Mode looks and feels just great - havn't even scratched the surface of all features though... Thank you for this great feature! Update from v. 2.9x went seemingly without problems.

One thing that has been there before the update also is, that when entering annotation mode or when using pinch zoom/move with fingers the first stroke with the smart pen of my Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 wont be drawn! Starting with the second stroke all is fine until I again use e.g. pinch zoom - after that again the first stroke wont be drawn...

This is not a showstopper but I dont think it is intended behaviour also. Perhaps this is fixable sometime in the future...

Have a nice and peaceful christmas - even with all this Virus-Mess going around...
That's extremely odd - with my Samsung Tab S4, if I pinch zoom in, then draw with the stylus, it immediately starts drawing. I can't figure out how to reproduce what you are seeing. Which display mode are you using? 

Thanks,
Mike

UPDATE:
I tested with all four display modes and still don't see any issues. Is anyone else seeing this problem on their device?
(12-24-2020, 04:50 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: That's extremely odd - with my Samsung Tab S4, if I pinch zoom in, then draw with the stylus, it immediately starts drawing. I can't figure out how to reproduce what you are seeing. Which display mode are you using? 

Thanks,
Mike

UPDATE:
I tested with all four display modes and still don't see any issues. Is anyone else seeing this problem on their device?

I think I pinned down the (my) "problem":  Smile

If the Tablet enters annotation and I first set down my palm to steady the hand the first stroke is not drawn. If I immediately set down the pen and draw without setting down the palm the first stroke is correctly drawn! I think setting down the palm should not lead to skipping the first stroke.

In Version 2.9 the feature has been introduced that the pages will not be changed when in zoomed view. This helped a lot to not accidentally switch pages when viewing and/ or annotating and getting confused... But now pages are again changed even when in zoomed view....
That's odd... if I place my palm down, I still don't have any issues drawing the first stroke. I'll test with a few other tablets to see if any of them exhibit the behavior you are describing.

As far as changing pages while in zoomed view - how are you switching pages while annotating? Only a swipe gesture with a finger (with stylus mode enabled) would change the page. Otherwise you'd have to tap the page turn buttons. If you are talking about when not annotating, the behavior should not be any different than it was before. If you have zoomed in with the two page display, you can't turn pages until you zoom out. I must not be understanding the issue correctly.

Thanks,
Mike

UPDATE:
I don't like how easy it is to accidentally turn pages with a finger swipe motion while just panning, so I'm going to disable that while annotating. If that's what you mean, I'll get it fixed quickly.
Ok, I made a video to illustrate the following facts:

1) after pinch zoom in view mode the page can only be pushed up or down but not sideways. This only works with TWO fingers. That might be a feature but I deem it unintuitive - I only found out by accident
2) in edit mode this behaviour would be the same
3) switching pages in view and edit mode is very easily triggered. For my part I can not think of why I would like to change pages when zoomed in for whatever reason so perhaps this could by disabled by option?
4) I tried to demonstrate the above described behaviour: setting a palm after pinch zoom will disable the first stroke (at least on my tablet and when zoomed in)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/87q3exg2hj56hm...1.mkv?dl=0

Smaller File of the same VID

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t5j1klnzo8rum9...1.mp4?dl=0
1) In the normal view mode, I don't allow panning with a single finger. It's always been that way, and it's mainly set up that way to prevent users from accidentally moving a page while trying to perform gestures like swiping to turn the page. Panning positions are saved/restore by default in the single page display, so I don't want users messing up the way their pages are positioned on accident due to this. If you prefer to always be able to move with your finger, bring up the song overlay, tap the display options icon at the bottom left (looks like a gallery icon), tap Zoom/Pan Settings, then check the option to "Reset pan and zoom on load". If you frequently zoom in and out, I would suggest unchecking the option to enable high quality zooming. After making those changes, you'll find you can pan the page with a single finger while zoomed in without any issues. You will need to zoom out to turn pages then (otherwise dragging near the edge would be interpreted as panning), or turn pages with a pedal.

Panning while in the annotations mode when stylus mode is enabled should be possible with a single finger. Unfortunately there is currently a bug. As indicated in this thread https://zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/forum...5#pid31295 it's going to be fixed ASAP

3) As mentioned in the other thread, I'm considering either completely removing the option to swipe to turn pages while annotating, or at least making it much harder to trigger.

Thanks,
Mike
As far as the videos, if you are resting your hand and finger on the screen in such a way that they are seen as two separate touches, it's going to potentially trigger the logic for a zoom or pan event. Palm rejection is difficult, and if you add a finger touching the screen at the same time as your palm, it's probably going to confuse the logic quite a bit. When I tested, I just rested my palm on the screen, but not my pinky or other fingers. This seemed to work fine. If I rested my palm with my pinky also on the screen, then I got the same behavior as you, as I believe it's triggering some multi-touch logic. While I can try to improve the touch detection and palm rejection, it could negatively impact the two finger touch detection if I'm not careful. I'll have to spend some time on this when I can to see what needs to change. Let me me know if the problem also goes away for you if you just rest your palm on the screen but not your fingers.

Mike
Big Grin 
If I carefully try only to set down only the palm the first stroke is drawn! So it's like a suspected: I am holding it wrong.... Big Grin thanks for clearing it up for me.

One other thing: perhaps you could try if it is only me but when in annotation mode and zooming out even though it is already zoomed out as much as possible the screen will go like blank... Just try to constantly zoom out in annotation Mode and perhaps you will see what I mean. This is not in view mode. This can easily happen when zooming in annotation mode. When zooming in from the blank screen the whole page will be shown again.
I can't reproduce that at the moment on my Android device. I keep zooming in and out, and while fully zoomed out, trying to zoom out more, but it seems to still be working okay for me. Very strange that you are seeing a blank screen while doing that though. If you have any suggestions for how I can trigger that to happen, let me know.

Thanks,
Mike
Sure enough I could not reproduce it now.... Instead the layers menu kept showing up whenever I entered annotation although I disabled it several times and explicitly set the tool to pencil.... After force close of the app and restart all is well....

I think it just needs to settle in a bit.... Annotating is so much better now