• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pen annotation problems with 3.0.0 release
(01-22-2021, 04:49 PM)Zubersoft Wrote: Harry777 - Are you zooming in while in the annotations mode and then writing immediately and experiencing that problem? Or are you zooming in outside the annotation mode, entering the annotation mode with the stylus and trying to write immediately? I am looking into ways to potentially improve the application performance while zoomed in.

Thanks,
Mike

Hi Mike,

I tested both zooming in and going into annotation mode automatically with the pen to write, and also putting the pen up to annotate, then zooming, then writing.

It seems like the pen tool was a little more responsive when putting the pen up, then zooming, then writing. Zooming first and then using the Surface pen to automatically enter annotation mode to write led to more delay when writing. The thing is, I find zooming first and then annotating is more intuitive for me. Also, I just realized the lag gets a lot worse the more I zoom in, regardless of when I entered annotation mode.

I'd be happy to take a screen recording of this and narrating it, if you'd like. I imagine some of this doesn't make a ton of sense over text.

Thanks for being so accommodating and patient, I imagine it must be frustrating playing whack-a-mole with these bugs.

-Harry
Surface Book 3 15"
Donner Page Turning Pedal
If you haven't done so yet Harry777, I would recommend turning off high-quality zooming as mentioned earlier in this post. As far as the lag getting worse while zooming in, that seems to be related to the Win2D performance when drawing such a large image (as it's rendering the entire zoomed image, and not just the section shown on the screen). The more powerful the device (and if you've switched the battery mode to performance), the less lag you will see while zoomed in. I would recommend only zooming in about 80% of the maximum allowed to get better performance, as you'll definitely see more lag if you zoom in the max amount. I'm trying to look into ways to improve the performance while zoomed in (i.e. only drawing the section of the image that is zoomed in), but so far, none of the approaches I've tried have really provided much of a performance benefit, and they caused other bugs that would take a fair amount of effort to address. I'm considering clamping the maximum allowed zooming amount to something smaller, such as 250% instead of 300%, as users will still get the benefit of zooming, but will experience less lag. I'm not certain how many people really need 300% zoom, or if they are just zooming in the maximum amount and then annotating. 

Mike
(01-21-2021, 03:54 AM)palosanto Wrote:
(01-20-2021, 09:21 PM)Cmart Wrote: I really can´t see much difference in quality with it turned off. The annotation is more precise with it turned off. However when zoomed in the annotation line is drawn slightly to the right of marker. I mentioned this somewhere in the beta-thread. Anyone else seeing this?

What text justification do you have set?   I find that having the justification to 'center' or 'right' puts the cursor in the wrong location and results on a misplacement of the final text even when not zoomed in.

Only the left justification works properly.

This happens in both of my Android tablets

Mike, did the cursor and text location fix when center or right justified made it to 3.0.4 for Android?  The problem seems to be still there ... maybe it was too late to include the fix in 3.0.4?
Onyx Boox Max Lumi 13.3 -Android 10
Dell Latittude 5290 2-in1 (Win 11)
Donner BT pedal
I did have fixes in place for that for v3.0.4. If I create a middle or right justified text annotation on my tablet, the cursor is in the right place when I go to edit it. This also works for me when zoomed in. Are you experiencing the issue with version 2.9.6 annotations, version 3.0.0+ annotations, or both? 

I am seeing some undesired behavior with the alignment on the Windows 10 side, so I'm looking into that.

Mike
(01-27-2021, 08:44 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: I did have fixes in place for that for v3.0.4. If I create a middle or right justified text annotation on my tablet, the cursor is in the right place when I go to edit it. This also works for me when zoomed in. Are you experiencing the issue with version 2.9.6 annotations, version 3.0.0+ annotations, or both? 

Mike

In my Samsung tablet I have v3.0.4.
In all three justifications, the cursor doesn't appear where I tap but about 10mm to the right.
When I set the justification to center, the resulting word or sentence should be centered where I started typing and if I had set it to right justified, it should end there. Middle and right justifications don't work

I've also noticed that if I start typing close to another text annotation the cursor snaps to it and it wants to continue it, even as far as a 15mm radius ...

The same bugs are found in my Onyx tablet. 

See video
Donner BT pedal
Thank you for the video. If you enable a border for the textbox, I think you will better understand what is going on. If you click somewhere to insert text, it is creating a textbox at that spot with the top-left corner of the text box being aligned with the click spot. The textbox will have a margin on the left side, and then text will start drawing from that point. If you right align text, that is just informing MobileSheetsPro to right-align text within that box, not to insert characters from the left side and move the text left. In fact, unless you draw a larger box than will fit the text, the alignment will have very little impact on the placement of the text within the text box. I mainly support those for users that draw larger boxes with borders and/or fill and want to control the text positioning from within that box. I'm not going to change this behavior because a) it would be very complex to do that at this point, and b) it would most certainly introduce new bugs. There would be little to gain from it in my opinion as well. 

I could not see the boundaries of the boxes in the video without the border turned on, so I can't say why it was editing the text when tapping within a 15mm radius. When I test on my device, I have to tap pretty darn close to the text field to start editing it - much closer than you were tapping in the video.

Thanks,
Mike
(01-27-2021, 05:56 PM)Zubersoft Wrote: Thank you for the video. If you enable a border for the textbox, I think you will better understand what is going on. If you click somewhere to insert text, it is creating a textbox at that spot with the top-left corner of the text box being aligned with the click spot. The textbox will have a margin on the left side, and then text will start drawing from that point. If you right align text, that is just informing MobileSheetsPro to right-align text within that box, not to insert characters from the left side and move the text left. In fact, unless you draw a larger box than will fit the text, the alignment will have very little impact on the placement of the text within the text box. I mainly support those for users that draw larger boxes with borders and/or fill and want to control the text positioning from within that box. I'm not going to change this behavior because a) it would be very complex to do that at this point, and b) it would most certainly introduce new bugs. There would be little to gain from it in my opinion as well. 

I could not see the boundaries of the boxes in the video without the border turned on, so I can't say why it was editing the text when tapping within a 15mm radius. When I test on my device, I have to tap pretty darn close to the text field to start editing it - much closer than you were tapping in the video.

Thanks,
Mike

Well, that's disappointing and you have to admit, a bit misleading when trying to write a simple word or short sentence at a particular spot since one has to unavoidably move the text afterwards to the right spot.
However at least I understand it now.   
Thanks Mike
Donner BT pedal
One thing I can do is make a slight adjustment when tapping to insert text. In that scenario, I could offset the creation of the textbox to ensure that text entry begins at that point. Users that want a box with a border would be dragging to specify the box dimensions, so this shouldn't impact that scenario. So if your main concern is with the initial placement of the text, this would address that. However, I'm not going to change the behavior of what middle or right alignment means in regards to how the text is inserted as you type. 

Mike
(01-28-2021, 05:17 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: One thing I can do is make a slight adjustment when tapping to insert text. In that scenario, I could offset the creation of the textbox to ensure that text entry begins at that point. Users that want a box with a border would be dragging to specify the box dimensions, so this shouldn't impact that scenario. So if your main concern is with the initial placement of the text, this would address that. However, I'm not going to change the behavior of what middle or right alignment means in regards to how the text is inserted as you type. 

Mike

That's a good compromise, thanks.  The most often used justification is left anyways and the middle and right justifications only make sense when creating a box because a one word or one liner text, now that I understand it, like you said earlier,  it barely affects the position and to move it is only an easy click and drag.
But your change would definitely help to locate the initial cursor.

Thanks!
Donner BT pedal