• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First stroke upon entering annotation mode often disappears when exiting
The layer visibility is turned off for that page. Bring up the layers window, tap the eye icon for the layer and all of the annotations will show up. There are a ton of annotations on the page (most likely due to you not knowing they were actually being created). I'm not sure what approach I should use to let users know they are drawing annotations into a layer that is not visible. Perhaps I should not allow the annotation to be created at all if the layer visibility is turned off, or I could pop up a message like the one that is shown if you try to draw with your fingers while stylus mode is active. Or should I flip the visibility on automatically if a user tries to create an annotation and the layer is not visible? I would appreciate some feedback if anyone has an opinion on this. One other option that comes to mind is flipping the visibility on while placing the annotation, and then hiding everything again when the finger or stylus is lifted. I just worry that this would not be intuitive to users. A message at least makes it clear what is going on, and why the annotation disappears.

Mike
(11-23-2021, 09:16 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: The layer visibility is turned off for that page. Bring up the layers window, tap the eye icon for the layer and all of the annotations will show up. There are a ton of annotations on the page (most likely due to you not knowing they were actually being created). I'm not sure what approach I should use to let users know they are drawing annotations into a layer that is not visible. Perhaps I should not allow the annotation to be created at all if the layer visibility is turned off, or I could pop up a message like the one that is shown if you try to draw with your fingers while stylus mode is active. Or should I flip the visibility on automatically if a user tries to create an annotation and the layer is not visible? I would appreciate some feedback if anyone has an opinion on this. One other option that comes to mind is flipping the visibility on while placing the annotation, and then hiding everything again when the finger or stylus is lifted. I just worry that this would not be intuitive to users. A message at least makes it clear what is going on, and why the annotation disappears.

Mike

That explains it:
I had 2 layers 1 and 2.   I had some annotations on that layer 2 and I decided that I didn't need them anymore so I deleted it while it was active but layer 1 was off and I didn't realized.
Therefor my further annotations were added to that layer (1) since it was the only one left.
There should be a provision that whenever there's only one layer active cannot be turned off.
Also it was easy to miss in my e-ink tablet that it was off because layers are show in black with a rectangular outline when they are on and with the current layer in bold and underlined.
I wonder if the ones off would show better as greyed out or crossed out?
Onyx Boox Max Lumi 13.3 -Android 10
Dell Latittude 5290 2-in1 (Win 11)
Donner BT pedal
There are still scenarios where one might want to hide the only layer in a score, so I won't force a layer to always be visible. Having said that, I'm moving forward with displaying a popup if you try to place an annotation on a page when the active layer is not visible. I can also look into applying a strikethrough effect on the layer name when it's not visible. Gray does not show up well at all on an e-ink screen, so I feel that trying to gray it out would make it really difficult to read the layer name and it might not be obvious that it's supposed to look disabled.

Mike
(11-23-2021, 01:58 PM)Zubersoft Wrote: There are still scenarios where one might want to hide the only layer in a score, so I won't force a layer to always be visible. Having said that, I'm moving forward with displaying a popup if you try to place an annotation on a page when the active layer is not visible. I can also look into applying a strikethrough effect on the layer name when it's not visible. Gray does not show up well at all on an e-ink screen, so I feel that trying to gray it out would make it really difficult to read the layer name and it might not be obvious that it's supposed to look disabled.

Mike

Sounds like a plan.  Thanks Mike.
Onyx Boox Max Lumi 13.3 -Android 10
Dell Latittude 5290 2-in1 (Win 11)
Donner BT pedal