• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Chromebook often loses connection to Companion app
While loading my songs into MS on my new Chromebook, I used the Companion app. I organize my songs in folders named by the Genre they should have in MS, and I pre-populated MS with the Genres I use. So after connecting, for each folder/Genre I did "Batch Import" on the Companion, select the folder, tell it to set the proper Genre, and push OK. It would "add files" for each file in the folder, and start transferring files -- about 2/3 of the time it would immediately disconnect, sometimes with the error message attached, but usually just saying the tablet had disconnected. Perseverance won out, and I did get all my songs downloaded to MS on the Chromebook, and every one I looked at was correct.

Both my Chromebook and my PC have excellent WiFi signal from the router about 15 feet away. There is not much else happening on the WiFi.

I could not correlate failure with size of the folder; they ranged from 12 songs to 950. For a while I thought that it was always the third time that succeeded, but then one succeeded on the second try.

Problem: One folder/Genre has two entries for each song. In the Companion Batch Import dialog I have checked "Avoid Duplicate Songs" and also checked "Update songs if matching files are found". In MS settings/Storage I have checked "Let Mobile Sheets Manage My Files", and also checked "Create Subdirectories for songs". In the Companion, editing both entries for a song show they both use the same PDF file; ditto in the MS library on the Chromebook. Unfortunately this is the Genre with 950 songs.

Is there any simple way to remove all those duplicate entries, without deleting their files (used by the other entry)? I did it manually for two, but quail at doing it 948 more times.... It took 2 hours to push through the bug, so I'd rather not reset the library and start over.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

It depends on the result you get if you sort by "Date Created". If that separates the two groups of songs, it may be easy to clear out the duplicate in one pass. If it does not, then I can't think of an easy way to deal with the duplicates.