• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to split a library?
How can I split my main library (>6000 files) into smaller libraries (C, Bb, and Eb instruments) with the least loss and effort (e.g. using filters by album or collection)?

Synchronizing the large library just takes too long.
---------------------------------------------------------
13" - Point of View POV_TAB-P1325, Android 4.1.1
13" - Point of View POV_TAB-I1345, Android 5.1.1
Microsoft Surface Pro 4; Windows 10
Phone: Motorola Moto G3, Android 6.0
Filter your songs to your likings. Select the all the Files export as msf. Create a new library and import the msf file. So you could repeat with every split you would like to make.
Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 FE Android 12
Samsung Note Pro 12.2 LineageOS 14.1
Huawei Media Pad M3 lite Android 7
That's exactly what I tried. But the export always stops at 88%!
Is there a possibility to copy the library to a new name and remove songs by selection without removing the files?
Yes.

Create a new library with a name to yor liking. You'll have a new db file with the new name. Then you copy the mobilesheets.db to a duplicate (technically you could use one of the backup files as well if you know there wasn't a relevant change in it), delete the new db file and rename the copy to the name of the deleted file you should have two db files you can switch between in MSP and delete away in them to your liking. (I would always keep a backup of the original db file though).

In Windows it's no problem to do that in the MSP dir. Under Android depending on the version it might be a bit more difficult with the file permissions and expose database though,
(12-23-2021, 04:56 AM)Vibraphon Wrote: That's exactly what I tried. But the export always stops at 88%!
Is there a possibility to copy the library to a new name and remove songs by selection without removing the files?

Maybe you are running out of Space? You could try the way BRX discribed...So only the db is copied. With the msf file also the PDF Files are copied. Maybe thats why you are probably running pur of Space.
Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 FE Android 12
Samsung Note Pro 12.2 LineageOS 14.1
Huawei Media Pad M3 lite Android 7
That's unusual that the export is stopping at 88% - can you try exporting half as many songs and see if it works better in smaller batches?

Mike
Insufficient room on export device?

Probably not but worth checking

Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
That is strange. I have 75GB of free space on the hard drive, but when exporting as *.msf file at 88% (total 3500 songs) I get the error message that there are problems saving. I should check if there is enough free space on the hard disk. The whole database with about 7000 songs is only 3.6 GB.
???
Doesn't sound as though you would run out of room.

Suggest check free space when it runs out?

Also check space on C: drive (if that if different from target); just in case MSP is saving a temporary copy of the export there.

These are only suggestions - I know nothing about how the export works

Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
It's always possible there's a harddisk defect or a memory or another Windows problem. I like W10 but there's (like always in Windows and often after updates) now and when some sh* that happens that you can't explain. Have you tried my suggestion? It should be even quicker and easier as the export in W10.
Did you try my suggestion of splitting the export into smaller parts? The fact that it's consistently hitting 88% means there may be a song in your library that is causing a failure during the export. We may need to identify which that is. If you want to send me a library backup file, I can look into this, but otherwise you will need to narrow it down.

Mike
@Mike:
It worked with smaller parts, but that's a bit impractical.
I don't know how to send a 3.6 GB file.

@BRX:
I want to reference the same song files (pdf) in the reduced library as in the base library, so that all changes (except metadata and annotations, of course) are automatically included in the new library.

When I want to reduce the new library after copying and renaming, I do not succeed, because either all files are deleted, or only the affiliation to the selected filters is deleted. But then the library remains in its full extent.

Thank you very much!
It's impractical to generate 3 or 4 .msf files instead of one? I just wanted you to split the library into chunks, then you can import all 3 or 4 at once into the new library (just select all the files after tapping Import->Local File). You may have to drill down further if an error is encountered with one of the chunks. 

To send a 3.6 GB file, upload it to the cloud (Dropbox/Google Drive/OneDrive) and then share the file and send the link to the file to mike@zubersoft.com

Mike
Either I didn't understand you or you didn't understand my suggestion. My way you get a duplicate library with a new name you can switch to with initially the same content as your complete library. You can simply reduce that by deleting the unwanted songs you can even simplify by making collections for it.

You keep the references (and metadata and annotations) this way. But why don't you want them?
@BRX:
Probably, being >60, I am overwhelmed with the computer details:

1: Create a new library with a name to your liking. You'll have a new db file with the new name.
Successful. This must be done in the settings > Library Settings  > Switch Library!

2. Then you copy the mobilesheets.db to a duplicate
Successful, but I had to search for the database files for a long time. I did not find the path shown in mobilesheets.

3. rename the copy to the name of the deleted file you should have two db files you can switch between in MSP.
Successful.

4. delete away in them to your liking.
Successful at least because of several confusing delete options. The way it worked:
  • Activate an album > select all songs in the album > select 3 dots >  Delete Songs from Library,
  • Don't delete Song PFD
  • Select album: delete

Thank you!