• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moving multiple annotations
Hi Mike,

Sometimes  need to reposition a multiple selection of annotations. Although the nudge tool is good for small distances, it would be useful to be able to grab with the stylus the selection and move it quickly to the new location.  At the moment if I try to do that the selection is lost and the stylus only grabs the annotation under it.
Any chance to fix that, maybe by long tapping on the selection?
Thanks
Onyx Boox Max Lumi 13.3 -Android 10
Dell Latittude 5290 2-in1 (Win 11)
Donner BT pedal
I see two options for this:

1) I can try to modify the logic such that, if you have multiple annotations selected, then you press down on one of them to drag the whole group, instead of clearing the selection and reselecting just the one annotation, I don't clear the selection and identify that the user is pressing on something that is already selected allowing the whole group to be moved. This sounds simple in nature, but it may actually be problematic with certain behavior/scenarios, and it also makes it more difficult to individually select annotations when many are overlapping. It would also mean that, if you want to switch from selecting a group of annotations to selecting an individual annotation, you would first have to tap away to deselect, then tap again to select, which could be tedious.

2) I can add a concept of grouping annotations (which is something I already planned on adding). If annotations are grouped, then any actions that are performed will be performed on the entire group at once. This allows all annotations to be moved at once, or edited at once without having to select them all at the same time. It would be easy to ungroup them too, if the objective is to group them, move them, then ungroup them. This is my preferred approach, but does require a lot of new code.

Would option #2 work okay for you or would you prefer something more like option #1?

Thanks,
Mike
(03-09-2022, 05:22 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: I see two options for this:

1) I can try to modify the logic such that, if you have multiple annotations selected, then you press down on one of them to drag the whole group, instead of clearing the selection and reselecting just the one annotation, I don't clear the selection and identify that the user is pressing on something that is already selected allowing the whole group to be moved. This sounds simple in nature, but it may actually be problematic with certain behavior/scenarios, and it also makes it more difficult to individually select annotations when many are overlapping. It would also mean that, if you want to switch from selecting a group of annotations to selecting an individual annotation, you would first have to tap away to deselect, then tap again to select, which could be tedious.

2) I can add a concept of grouping annotations (which is something I already planned on adding). If annotations are grouped, then any actions that are performed will be performed on the entire group at once. This allows all annotations to be moved at once, or edited at once without having to select them all at the same time. It would be easy to ungroup them too, if the objective is to group them, move them, then ungroup them. This is my preferred approach, but does require a lot of new code.

Would option #2 work okay for you or would you prefer something more like option #1?

Thanks,
Mike

Personally I prefer method 1 at the moment although the planned addition of method 2 in the future is also good idea.  The usual scenario for me is moving a group of guitar fingerings for example. I usually use the arrow to select them as window (since there's no way to add-remove objects individually at the moment either)  then I move them with the nudge tool which is very slow if is a long distance. Then I delete the ones that were in the selection window which I don't need in the new location.
On occasion I choose to cut the selection and I paste it roughly on the new location and adjust it with the nudge tool.
Onyx Boox Max Lumi 13.3 -Android 10
Dell Latittude 5290 2-in1 (Win 11)
Donner BT pedal