• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Cannot sync to device
#1
It worked once a few days ago, but now when I try to sync the library between tablets, I cannot connect. Nothing has changed; tablets are on the same table, network has not changed at all, both devices are plugged in and charged. Bluetooth is on. Both are connected to my network. I have connected the tablet together so page turning works.

I've tried bluetooth (message "Failed to connect") and with wifi (nothing connects).

I set one as the server, the other as the client. Not sure why they can't connect.

When I tried "Manual connect" I wasn't sure what address to enter on the client; the one displayed on the server tablet message didn't work.
Reply
#2
I'm going to need more information about your devices and your environment:

1) What versions of MobileSheetsPro are each tablet running? You can find this under Settings->About
2) What types of tablets are you using? 
3) What are the IP addresses of both tablets? You can find this by viewing the WiFi network information on the device. I want to verify both tablets are connected to the network/access point. Make sure that you don't have one tablet connected to a 2.4 gHz network and another to a 5 gHz network, for example. 

Once I know more information, I should hopefully be able to help.

Mike
Reply
#3
(03-17-2022, 03:50 PM)Zubersoft Wrote: I'm going to need more information about your devices and your environment:

1) What versions of MobileSheetsPro are each tablet running? You can find this under Settings->About
2) What types of tablets are you using? 
3) What are the IP addresses of both tablets? You can find this by viewing the WiFi network information on the device. I want to verify both tablets are connected to the network/access point. Make sure that you don't have one tablet connected to a 2.4 gHz network and another to a 5 gHz network, for example. 

Once I know more information, I should hopefully be able to help.

Mike
Strangely, today it worked via wifi! I hadn't changed anything.

I have one Amazon Fire 8 and one Amazon Fire 10.

First I checked that both versions are 3.4.7. They are. Then I checked that they are connected to the same exact wifi network. They are.

Unlike last time, this time when I set up the sync, as soon as I pressed "Create Server", the client showed "Amazon trona". I'm not sure where that name comes from. But when I selected that, the sync started. I hadn't changed anything.

I can't recreate the problem. They are syncing via wifi today.


I still cannot connect with Bluetooth. When I select "Create Server" on the serve and do a search on the client, the client can see the name of the server. But when I select the server ("Amazon Tablet 10"), I get the message "Cannot connect to Amazon Tablet 10".

I'm a bit concerned because at gigs, if I needed to sync libraries, I may not have access to a wifi signal and I would need to use bluetooth. And the tablets are connected via bluetooth so that page turning works on the client, but I cannot get sync to work.
Reply
#4
That I can't explain - that would mean that the code to connect the devices over Bluetooth just isn't able to establish a connection, which is handled by Google's framework. If you haven't done so yet, definitely clear the device pairing entirely, pair them again and repeat the test.

Mike
Reply


Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon  


Users browsing this thread:
1 Guest(s)


  Theme © 2014 iAndrew  
Powered By MyBB, © 2002-2022 MyBB Group.