• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
pdf bookmark import including extra fields
From reading previous posts on this website I understand that if I first select a Collection and then import a pdf file with bookmarks, then all bookmarks so imported will become part of the currently selected Collection.

What if I want all of the bookmarks to become part of two different Collections, or if I want to add them to the Composer field or something?

I'm thinking that I could extract the bookmarks from the pdf file, rewrite them into a csv file, add the extra fields that I want and import that, but it seems like the long way around the bush.   Being able to assign extra fields as part of the import process would be substantially more straight-forward.
If you're a zombie and you know it, bite your friend!
We got both kinds of music: Country AND Western
Sorry, you have to go the long way.
CSV files contain much more than just the title and the start page. Converting a bookmarks export to a CSV and adding additional information is so much easier in a spreadsheet program.
I do that all the time and know a lot of tips and tricks. You might want to contact me via one of my homepages below
first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de

If one was intending to add a different field to every entry then doing it with a spreadsheet would indeed be simpler and definitely be the way to go.

But if you want to add exactly the same field to every entry (such as "genres=Country", for example) then the only way to do that is also with a spreadsheet.

I'm thinking that it would be nice to have a data entry screen along with the pdf bookmark import that says "everything set here gets added to each of these entries as they are imported."
If you're a zombie and you know it, bite your friend!
We got both kinds of music: Country AND Western
MSP has nice multi-select features. You can select a number of files, open the song editor and change whatever you want. If you open the collection in question or apply a filter selecting the songs is pretty easy.
@Mike: The import of single files has a checkbox "Load song editor after import". Maybe it's a good idea to have that checkbox also for the import via PDF bookmarks (and automatically select all imported files).
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11

The song editor can only be loaded for a single song at a time though, so that seems like it would have limited usefulness. I coulid display options similar to the Import Settings dialog where the user can add additional metadata to any song that is created though. There isn't room on the current dialog for that, so I would need to add a button on the current dialog to show another dialog that lets you add the additional metadata.

Mike
Sorry, I confused it with the "batch edit" dialog

Well, it's good that you've mentioned that, because another workaround is using the recent tab to select every song that was imported, batch editing them and updating the metadata in one shot.

Mike