• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best way to manage a setlist with blocks
Hello,

i have sheet music for different bands.
The music is managed in a seperate collection for each band.
Also i have setlists for each band to have the songs in the right order.
Now one band stared to split the setlist in blocks (A, B, C, ...).
Is there a way to manage this blocks without making a seperate setlist for every block?
What is the best way for that?
Thanks.

Edit: What is the difference between Setlist and Album? Maybe something that could solve my problem?
Personally, I would create a separate set list for each block.

Prior to a "performance", I would select all the required block set lists (A, B, D say) and put them into a "performance" set list; this will create a set list with all the songs in the required order.
I would delete this "performance" list after the event.

Hopefully, someone else can come up with a different solution and explain your query about Album (but I don't think that is what you want)

Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
(04-15-2022, 05:56 AM)Geoff Bacon Wrote: Personally, I would create a separate set list for each block.

Prior to a "performance", I would select all the required block set lists (A, B, D say) and put them into a "performance" set list; this will create a set list with all the songs in the required order.
I would delete this "performance" list after the event.

This will not really work, because the block order will be done on the fly. It's not fixed before the performance.
I always need to be able to select the correct block.
At the moment, no, there isn't a good way to handle separate block as you have described. I do plan on adding a tab where you can have lists of setlists, so that users could load multiple setlists at once, but that still wouldn't prevent you from having to set up setlists per block.

Setlists only have a few differences compared to other group types like albums, collections, artists, etc. Setlists default to manual sort ordering, have additional options when selected (sharing/export options) and are handled differently when it comes to things like exporting songs. If you export one or more songs as a .msf, that .msf will include every metadata field (artists, genres, albums, etc) but it will not include setlists. Setlists are handled separately and have to be exported independently from songs. If you load the songs from another group type using the "Load All" option, this will create a temporary setlist and add the songs to it. If you load an individual song in a group like an album, just that one song is loaded. Conversely, setlists default to always loading all songs (although this can be changed in the configuration), so if you tap a song in a setlist to load it, the whole setlist is still loaded, but it skips to that song. You can store song notes separately for songs in a setlist. I think that covers most of the important differences. 

Mike
(04-15-2022, 06:06 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: I do plan on adding a tab where you can have lists of setlists, so that users could load multiple setlists at once, but that still wouldn't prevent you from having to set up setlists per block.
Thanks for the explanation.
Nested setlists would be great. I guess, this would solve my problem.
So, for now looks like i have to make multiple setlists.

Additional question about this:
I can set a filter in the setlist view to see only the setlist for a defined collection. Since there is no field in the setlist, which defines the collection, how does this filter work?
Because a setlist could contain songs from different collections. Does this mean, that 1 song of a collection is enough to have this setlist among the filtered setlists?
I found an other way, that maybe could work:
  • Add the block letter (A, B, C, ...) to a custom field of the song
  • Add all songs to a setlist in the right order.
  • Filter the setlist for the custom field

Of course i have to edit each song for that, so i'm not sure, if this really is a good idea.