• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MSP crashing when erasing annotations
This is an issue that has happened to me several times now (on several different projects, usually with larger files or setlists but not necessarily, it once happened with a pretty standard 10-page PDF), when trying to remove an annotation, MSP hangs at the point when it saves the changes in the annotations. This only happens with specific annotations, and requires force closing MSP (and the problem recurs after I re-open the app, the same annotation keeps crashing MSP). I can remove the annotations in Acrobat and then reimport the file without issue, but it's annoying when MSP crashes mid-rehearsal and I can't remove the problematic annotation! I'm attaching the latest culprit to help you investigate, in this particular file there are annotations that crash MSP on pages 76 and 100 of the PDF (marked 77 and 102 at the bottom of the page). [EDIT: I wasn't able to attach the file to the post, so it's here for download: https://1drv.ms/b/s!AnzSvlwVv3otqgASA8Kc...M?e=EkQkY2]
I'll take a look at this as soon as I get a chance. Are you removing annotations that are in the PDF itself or ones you created in MobileSheets? Based on your description, I'm assuming they are annotations in the PDF. If you go to Settings->Display Settings, do you have it set to "Quality" or "Speed"? If you switch it, does the crash? 

Thanks,
Mike
They're annotations made in MSP. I only tried exporting the pdf later to remove the annotations in another app. I'll check the Settings and try switching them later, I'll let you know if that makes any difference!
(06-12-2022, 05:44 PM)Zubersoft Wrote: I'll take a look at this as soon as I get a chance. Are you removing annotations that are in the PDF itself or ones you created in MobileSheets? Based on your description, I'm assuming they are annotations in the PDF. If you go to Settings->Display Settings, do you have it set to "Quality" or "Speed"? If you switch it, does the crash? 

Thanks,
Mike

Hi again, 

It was set to Quality, so I tried changing it to speed. Interestingly, that let me delete the guilty annotation on page 102, but when I tried the one on page 77 it crashed again (whether I tried with the eraser tool, or the select tool and then pressing the delete icon). I thought it might have something to do with the fact that after successfully deleting the one on p. 102 I manually exited annotation mode whereas with the guilty one I tried turning the page and the app hung at that point, but when I went back and tried manually exiting annotation mode deleting it still caused the app to crash. Over to you!
Hi there! Have you had a chance to download the pdf and look into this at all? I'm having the same issue with a number annotations in this file by now, but other programs seem to be able to remove them if I export the file (and MSP has no problem adding annotations, only removing them, the problem remains with the same annotations if I export the file and reimport it). As I said in my original post, this is not the first time this has happened to me, it's no longer relevant to this particular project as I'm not really changing much to the markings now that we're several shows in, but I'll appreciate it if it gets fixed before the next time I work with a larger file or setlist :-)
I was able to download the file, and I was able to remove annotations on the pages you mentioned without any crashes. I've tested on five different pages and removing annotations and saving the changes has not resulted in any crashes or errors. I do notice that the call into the PDF library to save the file seems to be taking a large amount of time. That usually points to the file being very unoptimized or having other issues with the way it is constructed. Optimizing the file or rebuilding it in a tool like Adobe Acrobat can often fix that. Regardless, I can't reproduce a crash, so I'm not sure what steps I should take to reproduce what you were seeing. As a side note, I've been using the single page display mode which only displays a single page at a time in the editor. If you've been using a different display mode, let me know. It doesn't seem to me like that should matter, but I'd like to test in the same fashion as you if possible.

Thanks,
Mike