• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Song titles with numbers, better way?
I have songs from several groups that have a number plus a title.  

When I scanned the music I named them Number Title Part, for example 22 El Gato Mondes 1.  That may have been short sighted because it's a problem trying to make or edit a setlist for a gig quickly.  

Search works fine if I know the number or even a piece of the name, but search doesn't work when I'm creating a setlist.  (Unless I just haven't figured out how.) So in the setlist if a song starts with a number I have to scroll until I find it, and there are at least 199 entries before I get to number 2.  Actually more than that because 3 of my groups number the pieces and there are duplicated numbers, and I may have number 127 from two bands each with 4 trombone parts but different titles etc.  

Do I need to rename the pieces (nearly 1000 at this point) with name first?  

How do others handle naming conventions?
Depends how you want to use it. Is having the number in the title useful or could you do away with it? If it's useful could you have it in a different field? You could for example have the number in the 'custom group' field, then if you want it to be part of the displayed title you could format the title to show the number with the name of the song. If you need the numbers to order properly could you change them all to 3- or 4-digit number (001, 002, 003 etc)? If you are using the pieces in different groups then you might want to assign a 'collection' to each group you play with so that you can then filter your library to just show the pieces that you play with the group you're playing with at the time. You could also have a separate library for each group you play with.

How are you creating setlists? Searching while editing setlists works fine for me but you might be doing it differently.
(07-02-2022, 12:27 PM)Oz Cello Wrote: Depends how you want to use it. Is having the number in the title useful or could you do away with it? If it's useful could you have it in a different field? You could for example have the number in the 'custom group' field, then if you want it to be part of the displayed title you could format the title to show the number with the name of the song. If you need the numbers to order properly could you change them all to 3- or 4-digit number (001, 002, 003 etc)? If you are using the pieces in different groups then you might want to assign a 'collection' to each group you play with so that you can then filter your library to just show the pieces that you play with the group you're playing with at the time. You could also have a separate library for each group you play with.

How are you creating setlists? Searching while editing setlists works fine for me but you might be doing it differently.

Yes, in a rehearsal the group needs to know both name and number of each piece.  In one group the folders are arranged alphabetically but in two others they are arranged by order of number.  

I've never been able to search while doing a setlist - until last night when I clicked on filter and the search bar came up.  I may have solved my own problem.  

Using a leading zero would be worse.  The problem is scrolling sequentially to find one, and going through 199 before getting to 2, or 26.  Search is the way to do it (except on a Chromebook when occasionally I can't get the virtual keyboard to appear, but usually I can solve that.)
Glad to hear search is working for you. Hope that means you have it all sorted now but post if not. I'm not sure I get the problem you're having with the numbers but if searching has sorted that issue then that's great. If you need to have the pieces ordered by number in some lists and alphabetically in others then you can do that with custom title formatting - for example I have the titles formatted so that classical pieces are listed with the composer first but non-classical pieces listed with the title first. You could have yours set up so that pieces for one band show with the number first and pieces for another band show with the name first and then sort them alphabetically (as long as you have the name of the piece and the number in different fields). Anyway, shout if you're looking for ideas.