• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
title from file name - period-dot
I have imported PDFs where each filename has a few periods in it, (obviously one before the pdf suffix .pdf) but some within the file name to separate key, version number etc. (my own designations).
When it imports with Batch Import, the title of the song is all that is seen (nothing after the first period.)
So I changed the periods to underscore (keeping the .pdf)
This is shown as a space or not at all but at least I can see the text after the file name.
Would this be correct?

(I have over 800 songs so it is easier to put the key in the title via computer rather than having to set key in MS or Companion app for now.)
I'll have to look at the logic again for dealing with the periods. Another user just asked me to strip underscores and replace with spaces, so I'm going to be adding this shortly. If that doesn't work for you, would dashes or commas be okay for separating your designators? Also, should we figure out a consistent naming convention where I could split up the file name and automatically populate the fields in MobileSheets? To support that, we would need to use either a fixed format for the name that uses something like * as the separator, or prepend each section with an identifier.

For example, using a fixed format, it could be something like:

Song 1*Artist*Album*Genre*C#*Source Type*, etc

What I don't like about this is it would require you to enter a whole lot of information that you might not want to have to supply. If we use the second approach, it would be more like this:

Song 1*[k]C#*[b]Album name*[a]Artist name*, etc

Using this approach, I would need to have a list of identifiers that you can put before each section. Let me know if any of this would be helpful to you.

Mike
Personally I can easily find/change my titles so I am not too worried about the procedure just at the moment, however if there was a way of populating the metadata quickly (even if it is re-titling) then this would be very useful I am sure for others.

Your second approach is more extensible so you can modify it to accommodate any kind of new information in the future and means if you do not need to have a field filled you just leave it out (I seldom need Composer or Key) so would be easier for users I would think.

Thanks for the information and reply, much appreciated.