• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Capo confusion - UI discussion
Technically, a capo turns something with frets into a transposing instrument. The difference is that, unlike a “native” transposing instrument which has a fixed interval, the guitarist has to know where to place the capo so that the transposition works as intended. Same goes for an electronic keyboard that can be transposed by any interval; the keyboardist needs to know the interval. So straight transposition is fine for a fixed-interval transposing instrument, but a variable-interval transposing instrument needs the additional piece of information that the capo text provides.

The thing that’s confusing to me is that you can’t apply a capo on the Capo Display Settings page, it’s on the Text Display Settings page. And visually, the “quarter note up/down” icon (which brings up the Transpose settings) makes more sense for either transposition or capo — both of which change the displayed chords from the original key to something else — than the “A” icon for text display settings. It just seems to me that the capo application control ought to be in one of those two spots rather than the Text Display Settings. 

Regardless, the feature is there and it works, so this little nitpicky discussion I started is definitely nothing that should affect the development priority list.

Messages In This Thread
Capo confusion - UI discussion - by jlgtx - 01-18-2023, 12:53 AM
RE: Capo confusion - UI discussion - by sciurius - 01-18-2023, 07:39 PM
RE: Capo confusion - UI discussion - by jlgtx - 01-19-2023, 12:23 AM