• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Solved] Overriding ignored articles
In Dutch, "de" is an article so I have added it to the list of ignored articles.
In French and Spanish, "de" is a preposition, and should not be ignored.
The song "De la vache" gets sorted with "V", not "D".
I tried to solve this by setting the sortname but even then the articles are ignored. I would have expected the sortname to be taken "as is" and not subject to article stripping.
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).
The custom sort name intent was not to bypass all sorting rules, but rather to be used in lieu of the original title for sorting purposes. If users would like custom sort titles to ignore all sorting rules, I could make that change, but I would want at least some form of consensus as that could potentially impact the organization of many users' libraries. One option would be to add another setting under song title formatting I suppose...
IMHO, sort title is exactly that: the content to be used for sorting, bypassing all other logic.
In the absence of article recognition, one would set a title to "The House" and the sort title to "House, The".
Another example is "25 Years on the Road", which should be sorted with "T" ("Twenty-Five...").
Should you implement dictionary sorting one day, then "24. Our House" will be sorted as "Our House", but I still would like to have a way to have "25 Years on the Road" sorted as above.
Bottom line: sort title should be used "as is".

I expect very few people to actually use sort titles, but I may be wrong.
Johan
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
I agree with Johan. It's what I expected at first from the sort title initially and wondered why it didn't work as I expected. I think it's more intuitive and useful to use it for "real sorting exceptions".

I'm not sure how I would use and benefit from "in lieu of the original title for sorting purposes". Give an example, please?
(04-25-2016, 01:30 PM)Zuberman Wrote: If users would like custom sort titles to ignore all sorting rules, ...
(emphasis mine)

Risking a trivial remark, but the collating sequence of the current locale should still be applied.
Johan
I've changed the custom sort title to work as you've described. The collating sequence of the current locale is still applied, I just don't apply the stripping of ignored articles anymore.
Thanks! Looking forward to try it.
Johan