• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pen size scaling
I apologize if this has come up in some other thread.
It would be nice to have an option in the freehand and shapes tool that allowed to have the pen size to scale in sync with the zoom.
At the moment if I choose a pen size of, say 4, it's is relative to the screen regardless of the zoom level so if I zoom in and use the freehand tool and then zoom out the pen size is not 4 anymore but much thinner.  The result is a lack of uniformity in the annotations thickness as it makes it very difficult to guess the size that I should choose when zoomed in to match the rest of annotations that were done while zoomed at the default 100%.
It should be an option for any tool that has outline and fill or just outline:  Freehand, line, shapes ...

Either include it in each tool setting box or as default within the global annotation settings window.   I think that the default should be to have the size scaling on.
Onyx Boox Max Lumi 13.3 -Android 10
Dell Latittude 5290 2-in1 (Win 11)
Donner BT pedal
The problem you are describing would only occur in the e-ink version while using stylus mode. It is not present on a normal Android device. This problem is unique to how the drawing works in the e-ink version because my app isn't the one drawing those lines - it's a special mode where anything you touch with the stylus just flips the pixels to black. The one thing I have control over is the thickness of the strokes. Having said that, my code does scale the pen size based on the current zoom level. I will run some tests tomorrow, but as you zoom in, the thickness of the line should be increasing a proper amount to provide consistency when zoomed out and in. 

In general, I don't think it makes any sense to increase the pen size as you zoom in. That would provide an unintuitive experience, because the zoom level would be applied on top of the pen size increasing, which is multiplicative, so the size would grow significantly more than expected, and it would be hard for users to figure out how much the zoom would modify the pen size. Also, the size should appear the same relative to the page whether you are zoomed in or not. As you zoom in, the annotations already increase in size, and as you zoom out, they shrink in size. It's not relative to the screen - it's relative to the page. Perhaps I'm not really understanding the problem you are running into. A size 4 pen should always look the same on a page regardless of the zoom level when you create it.

Mike
(01-13-2021, 06:19 PM)Zubersoft Wrote: but as you zoom in, the thickness of the line should be increasing a proper amount to provide consistency when zoomed out and in. 

Only applies to the e-ink version

Mike, the problem is zooming out after annotating while zoomed in.  To test it
Choose a pen size of say, 40 and draw a line
Zoom in to the max (to be more obvious).  So far so good, the line zooms along.
Now draw a line:  The line is much thinner despite not having changed the size from 40.

UPDATE: The same problem happens with stamps
Donner BT pedal
I see the issue with the pen tool due to the issue mentioned before (something is not working right with setting the stroke width with Onyx's library, so I'll investigate), but I do not see the issue with stamps. If I place a stamp fully zoomed out, then zoom in and place another stamp, they are identical sizes, as you would expect.
(01-15-2021, 11:00 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: I see the issue with the pen tool due to the issue mentioned before (something is not working right with setting the stroke width with Onyx's library, so I'll investigate), but I do not see the issue with stamps. If I place a stamp fully zoomed out, then zoom in and place another stamp, they are identical sizes, as you would expect.

I have the problem also with stamps, sorry ...

See a quick demonstration here
Donner BT pedal
I zoomed in without exiting the annotations editor when I was testing. If you do that, it will work as I described. I'm going to have to do some analysis to determine why it didn't work as expected if you zoom in outside the annotations mode, and then start annotating. 

Thanks,
Mike
(01-15-2021, 11:34 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: I zoomed in without exiting the annotations editor when I was testing. If you do that, it will work as I described. I'm going to have to do some analysis to determine why it didn't work as expected if you zoom in outside the annotations mode, and then start annotating. 

Thanks,
Mike

I have touch disabled in annotation mode, that's why I had to exit to zoom in.
We discussed via email the implementation of my suggestion to enable touch temporarily only when the pan-zoom tool is selected and you thought it was a good idea. That would solve the problem, right?  See #81
Although I guess the issue remains when touch is disabled in settings ...

Juan
Donner BT pedal
Looks like I confused myself. At one point in time, the tool sizes were going to be relative to the page size. When I thought about it for a while, I realized it would be a pretty poor/unintuitive experience to have a pen at size 4, for example, but that pen would appear to be a different size on each different PDF it was used. So I decided it was better to have the tool sizes be based on the screen of the tablet (so a pen size of 4 is four pixels thick on the screen regardless of the file), but the way I do that is by taking the amount the PDF page is scaled up, and diving four by that amount, so that I'm saving the size in terms of the raw PDF page. 

The real issue here with zooming is exactly what you described - if you've zoomed in 50% outside the annotations editor, and the PDF page is scaled up an additional 50%, you want the tool sizes to be scaled up 50% too so that it matches. So your thought process was right on the money. I'm going to see what it will take to scale all tool sizes not only by the amount that was zoomed in while in the annotations mode, but also any amount that was scaled while in the normal song view. Hopefully I can do this without causing any bugs, but it should be pretty easy to test.

Thanks,
Mike
(01-15-2021, 11:53 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: I'm going to see what it will take to scale all tool sizes not only by the amount that was zoomed in while in the annotations mode, but also any amount that was scaled while in the normal song view.

I agree. Ideally, the stamp sizes should be pretty uniform across most pdf's when at 100% zoom.  So once set and saved in my favorites they should look right in most pdf's. 
Of course, if I have a pdf that has big fonts or notation symbols to begin with, I might have to tweak the stamp's size.

By the way, I just tested the same with my Samsung tablet and the problem is exactly the same, with stamps AND with the pen tool ... I thought first that was only an Onyx problem?
If I set my pen size at 50, draw a line, exit annot mode, and I zoom in 200% in view mode, then I go back to annot mode and draw a new line is thinner and it shows 25 when I select it to edit it.  
Is this what you are saying above?
(P.S. I also get black screens while zooming in and out, but I know that you are also dealing with this in other threads.)
Donner BT pedal
Yes, it's not an e-ink problem, it's just a design problem that has to be addressed. The black screen issue should only apply to Windows 10 devices. If you are getting black pages on an Android device, that is not something that I've been hearing about. Does the screen stay black permanently, or is it just black while the page is being re-rendered?

Mike
(01-15-2021, 04:34 PM)Zubersoft Wrote: Yes, it's not an e-ink problem, it's just a design problem that has to be addressed. The black screen issue should only apply to Windows 10 devices. If you are getting black pages on an Android device, that is not something that I've been hearing about. Does the screen stay black permanently, or is it just black while the page is being re-rendered?

Mike

Actually the black screens are with my Onyx tablet. The screen is mostly black except the areas with annotations.
It happens randomly when I zoom in-out. Not sure what triggers it but when it starts to happen, it keeps happening until I exit msp.
I'm not referring to the black flashing while the screen is refreshing, it's different and sometimes it freezes the app.
I'll observe it and send you a video next time that occurs.

Thanks - Juan
Donner BT pedal