• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Projecting chordpro lyrics through HDMI temporary workaround
I understand that outputting just the lyrics over HDMI is a lot of programming overlay work and is currently not high on the MSP priority list so I figured out a temporary way to make it look decent. You can't hide the chords and comments on the projector without hiding it on your laptop but this way works well enough for me. (I figured this out after I acquired an iPad with OnSong and discovered what a headache it is to migrate to. I'm ignoring it for now because I still like MSP more!)

On Chromebook:

1. Mirror your screen over HDMI.
2. In a song, go to "Text Display Settings" and increase the "Lyric Size" and "Chorus Size" to your liking (mine is at maximum, 60).
3. Keep other elements small (my chord size is 25)
4. Go to Chord Color and reduce opacity to about 40%. This dims the chords so they are less distracting.
5. Go to "APPLY TO..." and select to apply to "All files in library" or whatever works for you. (When you're finished projecting and want to go back to normal size repeat this step).
5. To make a cleaner screen by separating sections, learn to use the "New Page" directive {np}. (I use this to separate the title and personal comments from Verse 1)
6. To imitate blanking/blacking out the projector screen, you can force the HDMI output to switch from MSP to the desktop (disable your desktop image so its black or whatever you want) by pressing Ctrl + (maximize key - square icon with two triangles inside). Press it again to restore MSP. The drawback is that the desktop still shows the taskbar.
7. To stop certain lines from showing but to keep them in the chordpro file, comment them out with # in front.

I hope this helps for those who want to sing with others in small gatherings and don't need super professional output!
Nifty.

You may also consider to use the ChordPro tool to produce PDF from the songs, and use a PDF viewer on the tablet. The ChordPro tool has a lot of options to control the output, e.g. big fonts, suppress titles, and include lyrics only.
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).
Nice stuff. Chromebook is certainly the way to go. You may consider two systems linked together, one for musicians (with chords) and one for singers. 

Myself, I was looking for projection in portrait mode to be displayed to a rortated TV in front of a chorus conductor to keep singers heads out of their music. To achieve this I believe it is best to get a convertable chromebook which switches to tablet mode. The USB-C to HDMI adapator worked well for me. The convertable chromebook is very handy at switching from editing in laptop mode and performing in tablet mode.
(01-25-2022, 08:47 PM)sciurius Wrote: Nifty.

You may also consider to use the ChordPro tool to produce PDF from the songs, and use a PDF viewer on the tablet. The ChordPro tool has a lot of options to control the output, e.g. big fonts, suppress titles, and include lyrics only.

Thanks that is definitely a good workaround because you get full control of what you see. The downside would be creating a whole new library. Currently I just change the font to max when I'm projecting and "apply to all songs in library", then when I'm done I shrink it back down to normal. Editing on the fly is also convenient.
(01-25-2022, 10:34 PM)Jonk Wrote: Nice stuff. Chromebook is certainly the way to go. You may consider two systems linked together, one for musicians (with chords) and one for singers. 

Myself, I was looking for projection in portrait mode to be displayed to a rortated TV in front of a chorus conductor to keep singers heads out of their music. To achieve this I believe it is best to get a convertable chromebook which switches to tablet mode. The USB-C to HDMI adapator worked well for me. The convertable chromebook is very handy at switching from editing in laptop mode and performing in tablet mode.

Now that is an interesting option but how does page turning work if the font sizes are different (musician has small font with 3 verses/chords and singers have large font with one verse/no chords)? I'm a one man show most of the time. (FYI, Onsong, OpenSong, etc. let you click the verse you want to project).

Nice! Great to see the varied setups people are using to share their talent!
This is for a choral group. 1 director, 1 pianist, and 30 guys. The director has a tablet with setlist connected to TV in front of his podium. The guys know their parts but tend to keep their heads in score. Most pieces need only 1 page of words which are only for a slight aid, they should be looking at the director who is right there too. The pianist and director use their regular score.
(01-25-2022, 04:06 PM)praisetheone Wrote: ... (I figured this out after I acquired an iPad with OnSong and discovered what a headache it is to migrate to. I'm ignoring it for now because I still like MSP more!) ...

I'm right there with you. All the "common-use" tablets for our church music program run MobileSheets on Android, and as I'm on iPad I've had to use other apps. OnSong has been my go-to for the past few years, and I do like the app overall, but the inability to output usable setlist files from my tablet has been a significant time-waster for me. Yesterday was the maiden voyage of MobileSheets on my iPad, and it was a breath of fresh air. It's so nice to see my favorite sheet music app on my nice big iPad Pro screen, and even nicer to have full interaction with all the rest of the tablets.

The one feature in OnSong that I'll miss, though only occasionally, is the ability to project ChordPro lyrics by tapping the desired section of the song, and streaming it to Apple TV or Chromecast. As a programmer, I definitely recognize that this is something of a "scope-creep" feature.
I have a lot of high priority feature requests to get through, but at some point, I can certainly work on supporting that.

Mike