• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
G / D doesn't parse on import of text file
So I'm using text files to import into my MobileSheetsPro on my Android Tablet. 
I prefer using text files because I can easily adjust the text for a page break and the chords are easily transposed to a preferred song key. Yay!
All the chord letters, above the lyrics, show in Blue background highlight. Perfect! Which means those letters will easily be transposed.

However, if there are non-chord characters on the same line with the chord letters, it doesn't recognise the Chord letters. (eg. can't transpose them).
After trying in vain, I've found G/D is correctly parsed / recognized, and has the pretty Blue background highlighting G  G/D. 
However, if I have a repeat "x4" or "4x" on the same line after the chord letters, that seems to negate recognizing the entire line of chord letters altogether.
Oddly, I have another text file song, where I have 2x at the end of all the chords, and that parsed / recognized all the chords correctly.

QUESTION: Is there a recommended way to display the line below [Intro], recognizing each chord letter, and note the repeat, so that everything can be transposed like the rest?

[Intro]
G  G/D  <--- this works
G  G/D  x4  <--- this does not work

[Verse 1]
G              Em            D                      C          G
Almost Heaven, West Virginia, Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River.

Please let me know any pointers, suggestions, corrections to my assumptions.
I love the program btw. It's very feature rich for my simple guitar tab needs.
Text files can be a little hit-or-miss because MobileSheets has to guess at what is a chord line versus a line of lyrics. It uses a simple calculation where it requires that a certain number of characters be valid chords or it will consider it a line of lyrics instead. So when you are adding the x4, two parts are chords (G and G/D) and one part is not (x4) so that is not high enough for it to consider it a line of chords. If you had more chords on the line, then it would recognize it correctly. I can also update the parsing so that it ignores a phrase starting with x followed by a number. 

If you want this to all work more reliably, you should consider switching to chord pro. The chord pro specification provides a lot more functionality, and having chords inside of brackets ensures that MobileSheets can easily recognize them. There are online converters that can help automate the conversion as well.

Mike
Songpress can convert text files and provides a simple UI for editing ChordPro files
https://www.skeed.it/songpress
https://github.com/lallulli/songpress
first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de

Try running your song through this formator first   http://ukegeeks.com/tools/
(02-13-2023, 11:59 AM)Jonk Wrote: QUESTION: Is there a recommended way to display the line below [Intro], recognizing each chord letter, and note the repeat, so that everything can be transposed like the rest?

[Intro]
G  G/D  <--- this works
G  G/D  x4  <--- this does not work

The easiest and straightforward way: use comments. ChordPro suppords chords in comments.

Code:
[Intro]
{comment: [G]  [G/D]  x4}

BTW I'm not sure what [intro] is supposed to mean. Is it a chord? Annotation? Comment?
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).