MobileSheets Forums

Full Version: MSP 3.8.15 page ordering UI
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Hi Mike, 

The new page ordering UI is very nice. Thank you for implementing the new possibilitys to ordering and inserting pages and exporting and saving as pdf. I am sure that i not discovered everything but on first sight very sweet.  Shy

Thanks
Thank you for the feedback! I really appreciate it. It was definitely a lot of work but was sorely needed. I personally really like the option to save as a new PDF so that you can turn a convoluted page ordering into a nice simple "1-X" where X is the last page. I'm expecting to get feedback from people that want to add their own templates, but that's something I had to table for a later date.

Mike
Problem with this new interface causes loss of files... 

To reproduce:
Edit a song made from jpg files
Select files tab
Select a jpg file 
From the (...) menu, select Image correction
From the top bar of the image correction window (...) menu, tap Cancel

... The file no longer exists... Song damaged by cancelling an operation...

This seems to be repeatable.
Thanks, I'll look into it.

Mike

Update:

Going to push out a patch to fix this issue right now.
(10-27-2023, 03:16 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you for the feedback! I really appreciate it. It was definitely a lot of work but was sorely needed. I personally really like the option to save as a new PDF so that you can turn a convoluted page ordering into a nice simple "1-X" where X is the last page. I'm expecting to get feedback from people that want to add their own templates, but that's something I had to table for a later date.

Mike
I don't know if it's intentional: when I save the newly sorted file as a new PDF, there is no dialog where I want to save the file and how i want to (re)name file. The menu closes and I was not sure if the pdf was created. I found it in the MSP files folder. Did I miss something?
It's going to be put in the same directory as the original file. Be aware that this is not a replacement of the feature to export files. It just means you can replace the existing PDF with one where the page order is flattened (i.e. if you repeat the first page three times, for example, the new PDF would have three copies of the first page). This means you can do things like embed annotations in each of those pages without any conflict, whereas you can't do that when utilizing the page order, as the same PDF page is used in each instance.

Mike
Thanks i will further check it out.
One other Thing i noticed: as soon as i put in a second fille and press save, all the annotations i already made are gone. And there is no way to get them back. Maybe there should be a warning? If i save as a new song then the annotations from the first file stay. But this option is not visible at first.
And One question: is there a possibility to insert a second file with already made annotations without to write the annotations into the file, so they are still editable? Something like selecting two or more Songs from a setlist, and from menu you could choose: merge into new song?
I don't have the update yet. But please for my clarification:

Quote:It just means you can replace the existing PDF with one where the page order is flattened

Does that mean the original is overwritten and lost or just replaced and kept?

MSP 3.8.15 MSP 3.8.15
As far as i could see the original pdf will be overwritten. Maybe the option to save as new pdf with unique name would be possible?
If you modify the file by merging another file into it, the annotations are not deleted, but note that MobileSheets does not track annotations per file - it tracks them per page in the song (in order to support the page order which can repeat pages multiple times with different annotations on each instance of a page). If you just add a new file and the page order is adjusted for that file, the annotations should still be preserved. Things only get messy when you save as a new PDF and flatten the page order. I would not advise users do this if they have existing annotations they want to preserve unless they first embed those annotations in the underlying PDF. Right now, if a file is inserted, it's actually placed at the end of the PDF, but the page order is updated to place that page earlier. MobileSheets should properly account for these kinds of changes as far as annotations go, and should move all the annotations as needed to make space for the new file.

As far as your second question, if the annotations are in the PDF itself, sure, you can certainly do that. If they are managed by MobileSheets, then no, you'd have to embed them first. Merging songs involves a lot more than just merging the files they use or the annotations on their pages. If I support a feature like that, it's going to have to support merging absolutely everything, as I think that's what users would expect.

BRX - the original will be overwritten as soon as you save the changes in the song editor. Nothing is permanent until you save the changes in the song editor - any changes made in the page order UI can be discarded if needed. 

The intent of this feature is not to allow users to modify an existing PDF in the page ordering UI and then save that PDF as a new PDF somewhere else on the device. That's kind of the point of the export feature, but if users absolutely want this, it's something I can look into supporting, but the problem is that people would probably also still expect all of the same supported features as the export, namely that annotations will be exported, as well as the cropping, rotation, etc. So I really don't want to have to duplicate that functionality in multiple places if possible. The intent is just to allow users to be able to edit their existing PDFs in more ways. I'm certainly open to feedback though if most users are wanting certain capabilities.

Mike
As long as I only change the page order of a song and press save, the annotations are still there. But as soon as I add a file (the new pages are added at the end) press save the annotations are gone. And i could not get them back if you accidently press save. Or at least i dont know how. Only when I save this file as a new song the annotations remain. 
See the video:
https://shorturl.at/CPRU3
Alright, I will look into this and get it fixed. Thanks for letting me know.

Mike
Quote:The intent of this feature is not to allow users to modify an existing PDF in the page ordering UI and then save that PDF as a new PDF somewhere else on the device. 

Hm, that doesn't work well with my mindset to keep my PDFs unchanged and as I obtained them and make changes only in copies or in MSP annotations.

Can I make snippets from the modified file before it is saved?
If you would like to continue using MobileSheets as you always have, you can certainly do that. Just don't insert files or blank pages into your PDF using the page ordering UI. Add multiple files to the song then, and manage each one independently. You can still change the page order as needed for each file as well without it modifying the original file.

Select the option to "Save as New Song" if you want to create a snippet from the modified file. The original song won't be modified in any way if you do this.

Mike
I have already changed my original files while trying around with the new ordering ui. Took a while to put them back to the original state. I'm surprised you're going this way and actually changing the original files where MSP was considered non-destructive with the source files.
Just to be clear: as long as I don't save the song as a new pdf, the original pdf will not be changed?
Pages: 1 2 3 4