• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
forScore Migration Discussion
Creating a thread to openly discuss a process for migrating from forScore to MobileSheets. I personally have about 1,000 scores in forScore that I will be migrating over to MobileSheets. My goal is to do this while retaining as much of the metadata I have in forScore as possible. Any annotations in forScore will, of course, be lost. I will note that in my case I have only a few of those so for me this is not an issue.

My first draft 'sketch' of the process is:
  * Export all scores from forScore.
  * Export metadata from forScore into a CSV file.
  * Modify CSV file for use with exiftool to match what MobileSheets expects.
  * Use modified CSV file with exiftool to populate all metadata into the individual PDF docs (as a single batch command in exiftool).
  * Import all the PDF docs into MobileSheets as a batch command (or perhaps in separate batches based on setlists).

Current Unknowns:

1. Can I fully match all forScore metadata fields and content with those in MobileSheets? (E.g., 'Difficulty,' 'Tempo,' and such.) <- Confidence Level=High.

2. Can all metadata fields in MobileSheets be 'auto-populated' from fields in the imported PDF doc? (E.g., 'Keys,' 'Difficulty,' and such).

3. Is there some way to migrate over setlists as well? <- Confidence Level=Low.

4. Is there some way to migrate over forScore 'bookmarks'? These are sets of pages within a large PDF document that are treated in forScore as an individual score (including the ability to set unique metadata for the bookmarked page-set). The typical use-case being a book of songs where you've 'bookmarked' 1-2 pages that is one of the songs in the book. I know MobileSheets can do this as well; just don't know how I'd migrate over that internal information. However, the forScore metadata export CSV file does contain the information that would be needed to do it.

5. Can the CSV file modifications be scripted to make this step more reliable for others wishing to use this process?

Question for Mike: Can you answer question #2 above? (Note: I did a quick test to try to populate the 'Keys' field in MobileSheets, but it did not auto-populate upon import. I just created a field in a PDF doc as "Keys=D." But maybe the content has to be a number or some other way that you're encoding the Keys field internally?)

Attached Files
.csv   0000_forScoreMetadataExport_Trimmed.csv (Size: 5.09 KB / Downloads: 0)

Messages In This Thread
forScore Migration Discussion - by Jeffrocchio@gmail.com - 08-07-2023, 11:25 PM
RE: forScore Migration Discussion - by BRX - 08-08-2023, 12:37 AM
RE: forScore Migration Discussion - by Zubersoft - 08-08-2023, 03:49 AM
RE: forScore Migration Discussion - by Maddcow - 08-08-2023, 10:48 AM
RE: forScore Migration Discussion - by Zubersoft - 08-11-2023, 03:57 AM
RE: forScore Migration Discussion - by Zubersoft - 08-11-2023, 07:21 AM
RE: forScore Migration Discussion - by Morgano - 05-09-2024, 07:38 PM
RE: forScore Migration Discussion - by Zubersoft - 05-10-2024, 04:40 AM