• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to handle different versions of the same song?
For our church music library, I import separate songs for each version, named according to the instrumentation and key (ChordPro files don't get a key assigned, since they're adjustable). For example:

Amazing Grace.cho
Amazing Grace - piano (Ab).pdf
Amazing Grace - SATB (Ab).pdf
Amazing Grace - violin (Ab).pdf
Amazing Grace - piano (G).pdf
Amazing Grace - SATB (G).pdf
Amazing Grace - violin (G).pdf

For songs with different arrangements, I add an indicator of the arrangement, or the name of the arranger, to the filename.

Amazing Grace - Chains.cho
Amazing Grace - Chains - piano (D).pdf
Amazing Grace - Chains - lead (D).pdf
etc.

For songs in our hymnal, I purchased a companion set of "hymnal page" PDFs as well as various arrangements of most of the songs, and then created ChordPro files for each of them. I use the same type of naming conventions as above, but prepend the filename with the hymnal number. If the arrangements are available in multiple keys, I add those to the filenames as above.

023 Joyful Joyful We Adore Thee.cho    (matches SATB hymnal page)
023 Joyful Joyful We Adore Thee - cont.cho   (matches "contemporary" arrangement)
023 Joyful Joyful We Adore Thee - trad.cho    (matches "traditional" arrangement)
023 Joyful Joyful We Adore Thee - SATB.pdf   (hymnal page)
023 Joyful Joyful We Adore Thee - cont - Piano.pdf
023 Joyful Joyful We Adore Thee - trad - Piano.pdf

This approach does create "clutter" in the library, but it's by far the easiest way for our musicians to quickly find a specific version of particular song, and know at a glance what various resources are available for that version.

Since we also use presentation software, I create entries in the slide deck database that match the song names in MobileSheets.

I routinely police our master PDF/ChordPro library, which is in a shared Google Drive folder, to clean up the messes others tend to leave -- usually just simple filename issues, but a couple of our folks have a propensity to pull in terrible chord sheets (wrong chords, wrong lyrics, etc.). As a musician who is also an engineer, I'm just the guy to go all OCD in there and straighten things out. Big Grin

Messages In This Thread
RE: How to handle different versions of the same song? - by jlgtx - 12-01-2023, 12:11 AM