• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the ideal tablet for MobileSheetsPro
Thanks for doing the calculations Manzajos - might just stick with my Excite 13 for now.
(04-30-2015, 10:08 PM)Andy L Wrote: Thanks for doing the calculations Manzajos - might just stick with my Excite 13 for now.

As new 13" tablets became available, I did not love dimensions of Excite 13 (it was one of the first 13" tablets).  I bought Hannspree 13" as a backup and it became my default.

I found the narrowness of the Excite in portrait mode affected my ability to add annotations.  So, If I added annotations on the Hannspree, it might not fit right on the Excite 13". 

I ended up buying another inexpensive 13" tablet as a backup for the Hannspree and I no longer use the Excite 13 for Mobilesheets.
I'm using the current Hannspree 13'' FullHD as well.

I suppose it depends on which criteria you factor into 'ideal', if price is an issue - it was for me, since there's always a chance my notestand might be pushed over by a fellow trombonist or something like that - my tablet certainly comes close to ideal, since there isn't much competition for that screensize when factoring in screen resolution and price.

From a pure technical PoV, the NotePro 12.2 is probably the better choice, due to aspect ratio and stylus, though.
I just recently bought an Azpen 13.3" tablet and I'm very happy with it so far.
The display is 7.05" x 11.28" - nearly as wide as an 8-1/2 x 11 with margins, and longer.
It's bright enuf+ good battery life. Could do with a little more resolution (pixel density) but it's still very workable.
$150 from TigerDirect in the USA.
I've wanted a 13" tablet for some time now to use exclusively as a music reader.  I had bought 2 Hanspree 13" devices about 6 months ago and I returned both for problems.  I was not only disappointed but I became pretty jaded about going the low-cost tablet route.  I have been patiently waiting for all the brand-named 13.3" tablets that were supposed to be out early this year but have been losing patience!  Plus I wasn't excited about dropping $500+ on a device that I'd really only use for MSPro.  (I already have a 10" and an 8" tablet that I use a lot)

Well I got tired of waiting and I finally broke down and bought the Azpen 13.3" on Amazon for $140.  While this is not a high-end tablet, I've been very pleased with it.  Basically I'm using it for MobileSheets and little else.  The screen resolution is all right but not spectacular (fine for the pdf's), the processor responds quickly, it connects to my BT Airturn pedal without any problems and it takes a 32G sd card.  And I certainly can't complain about the price.

As a music reader it is fine and at a good price.  But if you plan on using it for lots of other things you should be aware that the speakers aren't very good.  The volume is very low altho it's fine with earphones plugged in.  And the cameras are mediocre - but then who uses a 13" tablet to take pictures?
The Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 is a good choice. Now with MobileSheets Pro and its great option to let the page fill the full screen (at the cost of a little distortion) I can finally view a full page in portrait mode with my poor old 69-year-old + eyes. It makes the notes bigger up and down, which (to me) makes them finally big enough to see.

The S stylus is da bomb for notations since the tablet (mainly) only reacts to the stylus, not your palm or whatever, when the stylus is in use (otherwise the touch screen works like any other tablet).

The only slight problem with it for a right-handed user is that if you have the tablet in portrait mode and wish to plug it in to a charging source while using it, you have to turn the tablet so that the home button is on the right. It's easy to hit this button with your palm while writing a notation, which suddenly takes you back to the home screen. Without a charger pugged in, you can orient the tablet the other way, eliminating the home key problem.

I've been thinking of ways to raise the tablet above the lip of the stand on which it rests enough to clear the charge connector when it's on the bottom, but haven't come up with anything yet.
There was already a thread in the forum about plugging something into a tablet on a music stand. The proposal was to drill a hole into the lip of the music stand
first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de

(05-28-2015, 08:21 PM)itsme Wrote: There was already a thread in the forum about plugging something into a tablet on a music stand. The proposal was to drill a hole into the lip of the music stand

True - it's here;

http://zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/forum/...d=8&page=8
Graeme

1: Samsung 12.2" SM-P900: Android 5.0.2 
2: eSTAR GRAND HD Quad-Core 4G 10.2": Android 5.1 
3: Home-built BT pedal

Some of my music here
Drilling a hole is possible on my stand, but it's impractical to carry a drill around with me to various orchestra and chamber music rehearsals.. Plus the owners of the stands at these events might object.
Obviously, you can't go around butchering stands belonging to other people.

Although I thought the mechanical design of the Samsung was a minor problem, obviously some idiot in the design laboratory never considered that anyone would want to use it in portrait mode, in practice it's OK for me (and I haven't bothered to drill a hole yet).

The battery life is very good - several hours continuous running, more than enough for my needs - so access to the charging port is not required. After playing around with the stylus, I decided that I actually prefer making notes with pen and paper - as I always have in the past - and transferring them (as required) in the comfort of home. Ergo, I'm not using the stylus anyway.

So I just put the tablet on the stand with the audio port at the top. I only ever use the audio during rehearsals, so it really doesn't matter which way up it goes during performance. In practice I always have it the same way so I don't confuse myself as to where the controls are situated.

In you case and assuming you don't need the audio, I'd just put it on the stand with the stylus at the top. You can always charge it later.
Graeme

Some of my music here
Have any Samsung Galaxy 12.2 users found an OTG cable to connect to the Korg PA keyboards? I have exhausted all avenues to locate one here in Canada, and even Samsung said they cannot help. I like the tablet BUT...  I really would like it better if I could link it to the K'Board.
This is not what you are looking for I guess?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?u...=otg+cable
Hi jeffn1, Thanks for your interest, but no, the adapter has to fit the SM-T900 tablet which has a non-standard shape. I found a link last night and if it works I'll post the results,

regards, David.
(06-17-2015, 08:48 AM)maintech Wrote: .... the adapter  has to fit the SM-T900 tablet which has a non-standard shape. 

No it doesn't, it just looks a bit odd because the Samsung has separate usb and charging ports, but the lead supplied (basically for charging) has what appears to be a special connector, with both the USB and charging conectors moulded into the one block. It's a bit of an odd arrangement and I don't understand the thinking behind it - but then I think there are several other quirks with this series of tablets.

In fact, you can plug a standard mini USB connector into the Samsung (it's the right hand port as you look at it, with the screen uppermost) and it will work the same as with any other USB device.  I purchased a couple of OTG adaptors (mini male USB to standard female USB) via e-Bay for 1 euro each and they work fine, allowing the use of a USB pedal set or mouse.
Graeme

Some of my music here
(05-28-2015, 12:13 PM)carrickp Wrote: The Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 is a good choice. Now with MobileSheets Pro and its great option to let the page fill the full screen (at the cost of a little distortion) I can finally view a full page in portrait mode with my poor old 69-year-old + eyes. It makes the notes bigger up and down, which (to me) makes them finally big enough to see.

I was looking to buy one of these but it seems that there might be a new one coming out soon as the Samsung rep I spoke to instore said they weren't selling them in the high street any more as they are end of life.

I'm tempted by the Samsung Galaxy Tab A because it has a 4:3 aspect ratio, but it seems just a bit too small (at 9.7", so similar surface area as a 10.1" screen at 16:9 aspect ratio). Hopefully a 11 or 12 inch 4:3 tablet will come out soon - I think that would be perfect. Smile